WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosquito control

Moderator Emeritus

If you have kitties permethrin is highly toxic to them!

Banned

Good to know. We had ticks real bad two years in a row as well. Ordinary insect repellent keeps the mosquitos off you, but I treated an old set of ACUs I had around with the permethrin and started wearing those when I was messing around the property and never picked up a tick while I was wearing them. I keep them hung up in a closet the cats can't go, but I'll be extra careful now.

Boolit Mold

I have used them in the "wet spot" next to my house, you could almost walk on the mosquitos without touching the lawn.
    Worth the money

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    IIRC there is another insect larva that eats flea larvae, might also eat skeeter larvae, trying to remember the name of the beasties. They like very WET areas, I know that. Aaah Nematodes. Also Lady Bugs eat fleas, might eat ticks. And Fire Ants probably eat ticks and skeeters if they can get at them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    IIRC there are some fish that specialize in eating mosquito larvae? That should do though
    Gambusa Affinus

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/fact...?SpeciesID=846
    Last edited by BrassMagnet; 03-13-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I think I heard about those on an episode of Dirty Jobs set in New Orleans post-Katrina. TY BrassMagnet. It's good to have animal & insect & avian & piscine allies

Boolit Master
    I'll never forget seeing lee county mosquito control in action for the first time after moving to fort Myers, fl from Louisiana . were talking mosquito's that will carry small children and dogs. they flew over the county in a grid pattern with a fleet of dc-3's at very low altitude fogging everything with probably malathion or something like that. anyway they were on the front lines of fighting mosquitos, were well funded, and came up with very unique stuff, including those cookies you toss into standing water. another effective control I watched them do is they mix vegetable oil, like cooking oil with dawn soap, and spray it on standing water. it spreads out on top of the water and doesn't allow the larvae to take flight.

https://www.news-press.com/story/new...can/358623001/
    Last edited by farmbif; 04-25-2022 at 10:53 AM.

Boolit Master

We’ve been uncommonly blest the past two months with minimal rain and strong winds out of the east that last all day and most of the night. Mosquitoes don’t do well in high winds. I know it can’t last forever.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    …another effective control I watched them do is they mix vegetable oil, like cooking oil with dawn soap, and spray it on standing water. it spreads out on top of the water and doesn't allow the larvae to take flight.
    I read a book about the building of the Panama Canal. The French tried first and we’re losing over 80% of their European engineers to yellow fever, every month. When the US took over our progress was better but losses were so bad they finally stopped construction for a year and declared on mosquitoes. American scientists had figured out that’s how the disease was spread.
    One reporter that visited the project said no matter where you went, even the most remote areas, if you came across a trickle of a stream, somewhere nearby there’d be a can suspended over it dripping a film of oil on the water.
    By the time the mosquito war was over they had them so controlled that if you lived in housing for the skilled trades and engineering staff and found a mosquito, your wife called mosquito control and they arrived quickly to capture the insect for examination and classification.
    That’s what happened when Americans set their minds to the task.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    This is a good time of year to build some bat houses. They eat LOTS of skeeters!
    Ric has the right answer IME. I have a creek in my back yard. Between the frogs and the bat houses we keep the skeeters in check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

The US Army used diesel fuel to control the mosquitoes in Cuba and Panama. One or two drops of diesel in a large puddle will suffocate the larva. That is the discovery that made Walter Reed famous. They used to have guys go out and refill the drippers. You could be fined for driving off road and leaving ruts thatwould hold water. I have used vegetable oil. We used to live just down the street from a house with an untended swimming pool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Reed

Jim

Boolit Master

They no longer use the DC3s. I suspect the cost of maintaining aging aircraft got too great. Much more helicopter use now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FMCPA_127-517x304.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	299494

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FMCPA_124-343x194.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	299495

Boolit Master
    the the lee co sheriff's built a state of the art indoor gun range there at Buckingham field, half of its was for LEO training and the other half was open to public. I shot there several times and took my daughter there for handgun and shooting courses. its a real nice indoor range but you can only shoot the ammo that they sell when your there. its all non toxic frangible.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    If you have kitties permethrin is highly toxic to them!
    Perhaps, if the cats are sprayed with concentrated permethrin, or allowed to roam through it while a 0.50% to 1.00% mixture is still wet, it might be harmful to the cats. I have four cats, both male and female, now aged from 1.5 years to 7 years. I use permethrin in accordance with the label instructions in a water-based 0.50% mixture and LET IT DRY before allowing the cats to roam. My cats are not affected by the permethrin after 25+years of its use (18+years before I got the first cat).

Spray 0.50% permethrin on hunting clothes (effective even after multiple washings) and liberally around the footprint of the house (it WILL kill termites), on window screens, under overhangs. No more mosquitos, no ticks, no fleas, no "No See Ums" (if you know these, they are insidious), no house flies, no yellow flies, no horse flies, no termites, no ants, no spiders, and no wasps or their nests. Permethrin is effective. No more fidgeting in the tree stand shooing No See Ums, mosquitos, horse or yellow flies.

Here is a link to the FACTS about permethrin: http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/PermGen.html

The best concentrate I have found is "Hi-Yield 38", which is 38% permethrin, that I cut with water to 0.50% before spraying. Sixteen (16) ounces of Hi-Yield 38 will make 9.5 gallons of 0.50% solution.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I hear the CDC has magic chain link fencing that keeps mosquitoes out of your yard!
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    The US Army used diesel fuel to control the mosquitoes in Cuba and Panama. One or two drops of diesel in a large puddle will suffocate the larva. That is the discovery that made Walter Reed famous. They used to have guys go out and refill the drippers. You could be fined for driving off road and leaving ruts thatwould hold water. I have used vegetable oil. We used to live just down the street from a house with an untended swimming pool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Reed

Jim
    2 stroke oil works well also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12