Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stout Rapid Reloader

Stout Rapid Reloader

OK a few of you may have seen this on our favorite auction sight.

I recently acquired a "Stout Rapid Reloader" in 12 Gauge. These are set up for loading fiber wad. Which is great, I load fiber wads for one of my 12 Ga. Does anyone have a manual for these or anything? I have been looking online for a while now with not much luck. Funny part is I did find the Estate Auction that the guy I got it from found it at, small world. Not to many of these out there. From what I can gather there was only a few years in the early 60's these were made, maybe 700 of them. Mine is SN 1089 which I would bet is the 89 one made. its built like a tank all machined not stamped parts.

Obviously my plan is to get it up and running again. I am going to do it with a twist though. The fiber wad loads I do are in the magtech all brass shells. So I have a hobby lathe and will be making new parts to accomplish what needs to be done. It should be fun. Life of course will not let this happen very fast though so I will update when I can if there is interest. I can post pics if people want them too.

Boolit Master
    Congrats on your acquisition. I’ve been really curious about those loaders. The ones that I have seen for sale over the years were missing too many parts for me to justify the purchase.

I sure hope you get it up and running. Please post pics!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    I don't recall the serial # on mine, and I can't say I've actually loaded anything with it (eh... too many other things going on, and I don't shoot 12 ga much) but it does live up to it's name of STOUT. Mine is complete other than the powder and shot tubes (the bases are there, the plastic tubes broke in shipment) but is partially dissasembled at the moment, as I was in the process of setting it up when life got in the way. If I can find the box with the parts, I'll be happy to measure anything you need.

I've never found an owners manual.

Do you have a link to the auction? I missed it.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Here are a few pics more later...

Pics, Here are a few from the auction... not sure I can post a link due to our site rules and all but here is the item #232662501916, should be easy to find if searching for sold items.

Things I know that are missing for what I need / want to do, De-priming pin, Priming post, primer tube, Needs another wad slide and slide rod, another Wad compression die, Wad tubes, powder and shot tubes ( I think the MEC ones will fit though. Looks like they will have not tried though). I am sure I am missing something else too. Oh and to no surprise it needs a good cleaning it came with plenty of spilled powder on it LOL Action is smooth though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	215488 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	215489

.... I am not keeping the bungee cord

If you guys want any more specific photo's let me know and I will see what I can do. I am going to take some pics myself too so there will be more pics in a few days.

Boolit Master

Very nice
    and the Lyman #1 shotshell manual will do you well
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Here are a few pics from this weekend

Got a few pics before I cleaned it up. It didn't occur to me to get any after LOL

Looking close you can see the missing primer post and nitro wad slide and compression die.

Learned a few rthings. I think this needs some kind of wad fingers to catch the wads after the slide pushes them over to the seater. looks like I will have to figure something out. Also the powder and shot bar are one size. IE does not use inserts for changing things. It does have a screw that slides into the powder to do minor adjusting but the shot is one size. 1-1/8 I believe. I made a dummy shell with nothing in it and the crimps turned out great so thats good.

Well time for the slow crawl on fixing it up.

I will look into the shotshell manual that skeettx suggested too.
    Thanks guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.jpg   5.jpg   6.jpg  

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Glad to see that you are progressing.

I’d like to see the complete finished product with the rods, tubes, levers and ratchets (exaggerated ) where the machine looks like a carnival ride. That is what I found intriguing about this machine.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Here is the estate auction that the person I got it from found it at.......

https://www.bidonestates.net/cgi-bin...cgi?jbrown5/36

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    I have the lineman number one manual and number two actually they don't do me much good I want to use plastic wads. Happy to give them to you for the price of shipping.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    I meant Lyman. **** phone.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

That would be great! I'll send a PM

Boolit Mold
    I am new to the forum, so I hope I am not being rude. How are you coming on this project? I have had one of these for almost 2 years now (as a project also) fascinating machines. Parts have been impossible for me to find as has any type of manual, drawings or anything. I can send you photos of what I have should you be in need of them. Good luck if I come across anything I will let you know. My project has been on hold for awhile but I am hoping to restart the search for what I need soon.

Project is on hold for now. I am debating on if I should keep it set us for paper/plastic hulls or actually do the change to all brass hulls. I am unfortunately now leaning, due to limited time, keeping it original and just making what is needed. The list is a lot shorter. Basically just a priming post, nitro wad slide, and slide rod. Along with wad tubes. That would be great to see a few pics of yours, feel free to post them up here. I am in the same boat with no documentation on these but that's ok. They really are not that complicated in the big picture. I am just going to make things work. I am not too caught up on "all original". I would rather load some shotgun.

The other stalling block is the man cave is still in limbo on being finally set up. I am close but things move slow with a toddler in the house.

Boolit Mold
    I will get some photo's taken this week and have them posted by this weekend. I know the slow progress story I been living it all my life. I have began my search in earnest for pieces, parts and a manual. I will share what I find.
    Happy New Year!
    Take care of the family, that the most important thing. Everything else is just noise.

Found another one...

Not sure if any of you guys are interested but there is another one of these Stout Loaders on Evil Bay right now. ends in a few days. Price is up there compared to what I paid for mine. But its still a nice machine. I am jealous though this one has the fiber wad tubes.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l500 (1).jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	251540

Boolit Mold
    Reviving an old thread. I found a Stout Rapid Reloader in a friend's basement, it was her grandfather's. It has some rust on it and was completely seized up. I oiled and cleaned the ram and index table and got it to move. On the upstroke it works well, but on the down stroke about 1" from the bottom it binds, I think the primer station is hanging it up. All the dies are present, but the powder and shot cylinders are missing and who knows what else since I have no documentation on this contraption. I'm going to clean it up more and get most of the rust off it and see exactly what I have. It's set up for 12 gauge. I also found a box of 5000 Alcan 12 gauge fiber wads with it. If anyone has information, literature, or an instruction manual for it I would be very thankful. Here are some pictures before cleaning.

Name:	stoutnameplate.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	280371

Name:	stoutbeforecleaning.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	280372

Name:	stoutbeforecleaning2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	280370

Great machine there!
    Looks like the spent primer tray is missing, no biggy there. tubes for the powder and shot can be fairly easily too. The harder thing is there should be 2 other brass tubes with a long slit in them with a follow rod for the wads. I think I had found material to make these at Granger (or Zoro same company but cheaper) but have not circled back to that project yet. Check to see that you have both the slides for the wads also. one of mine is missing so I have to make that too. Great machines! I am finally starting to get time for reloading again, my son if 4-1/2 and almost able to help deprime.

Boolit Mold
    From your list it looks like I am missing the spent primer tray, powder and shot tubes, 2 brass wad tubes and 2 wad slides. From the looks of the wad slides, those are going to be hard to duplicate without drawings. Thanks for your input and good luck with your project.

Those are quite interesting machines!
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast