Load DataPBcastcoWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easier pencil lead hardness testing

Banned
    alt 248 ° works also --- google alt codes alt155¢, alt 30▲ alt 31▼ alt 18, alt 24↑, alt 25↓ alr 258☻↕alt 1 ☺

https://www.alt-codes.net/

Boolit Master
    You need to have "num lock" turned on and use the number keypad on the right.

I use the following codes a lot:

241: ±
    242: ≥
    243: ≤
    248: °

Boolit Buddy

Guys

Some questions for you,

Has anyone ever tested pure soft lead with 7B or 8B pencils?
    What were your results?

Here is some info,
    I have found out when pencil testing various SOFT lead for casting air gun pellets.

I got a full set of the Staedtler pencils, 8B thru 4H.

I tested some of the Roto-Metals 99% pure lead and found the following info,

A 8B would NOT cut the lead (would just slide over the lead) and the 7B would cut the lead easily,
    5 different tests were performed, using a new pellet every time, with the 90° flat point and approximate 45° angles etc.

Which leads me to think, that maybe the standard HBN rating of 5-6 levels for pure lead is questionable, going by these tests,
    should not pure lead be rated at 4 BHN, instead of the 5-6 BHN rating?

Please Note,
    I am not stirring the pot or being a smartazz etc.

The results, I found just don't make sense, as to the BHN ratings given/posted etc.

It may be that the use of the 7/8B pencils were never used or tested?

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts or suggestions..........

Tia,
    Don

Banned
    I have found that it is the pencils that are creating those weird test readings.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I have found that it is the pencils that are creating those weird test readings.
    Traffer
    Would you please expand on your comment, slightly confused about the pencils remark.
    I am using the 8B Staedtler Mars Lumograph Wooden Pencil set, which was posted for lead testing etc.

Thank you,
    Don

Banned
    I was getting some strange results with pencils. So I went back and tested the pencils. I found that although the pencils were indeed correctly gradiented by darkness when rubbed on paper, some did not follow a progression of hardness. I am sorry I cannot remember which ones were "out of synch" but they were in the 16 to 20 BHN range. I also can't remember how I tested the pencils. I determined that pencils are only a RELATIVE hardness test. You can't really use them for a comprehensive table of hardness. They will burn you if you do.
    It would appear that the pencil companies are concerned with the gradient of darkness as these are artist pencils BUT they may have different types of binders or something at different levels causing irregularities in the progression of hardness. If that makes any sense. As I remember I found two pencils that were quite out of synch. Like two or three levels of hardness different.
    Like they were two or three pencils softer than the ones that were darker. That causes massive confusion for an unorganized mind like mine.
    So I settled for getting the relative hardness of common alloys that I use. I also got good enough with my fingernail to test for my purposes. I don't use the pencils much anymore. When I do I am careful not to put too much store in the results.
    Sorry. Maybe it is only my experience. I know that in some materials testing pencils are used for more exact readings. Like paint hardness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12