RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Military Surplus gear

Boolit Bub

Military Surplus gear

The days of seeing only heavy wool cold weather clothing at your Army/Navy store are over. Today's military is being outfitted with performance clothing every bit as good (except maybe boots) as the expensive stuff. I checked materials on the tags of base layers and for eight dollars per piece, I can get tops and bottoms that are just as good as the fifty dollar base layers with big names.
    Just FYI.

Boolit Bub
    I will have to check that out. I used to search for older military wool items because it was the best available at the time. Wool is known for being 'warm when wet' and to an extent that is true. The wool swells and blocks out wind. Those are pretty hard to find now and they don't make them to fit me after I got fat.

Boolit Master
    There is a vendor that normally sells the GI Issue polypropylene underwear for $5 a piece. I think that stuff does a great job keeping me warm, and it is light weight, so you don't feel like the michelin man when you go outside.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Caliboose View Post
    I will have to check that out. I used to search for older military wool items because it was the best available at the time. Wool is known for being 'warm when wet' and to an extent that is true. The wool swells and blocks out wind. Those are pretty hard to find now and they don't make them to fit me after I got fat.
    Yep know that feeling! Just get 2 pairs and sew together. Thanks for the laugh

Boolit Master
    With Ft. Benning just across the river one would expect to find low prices on stuff, but that is not the case. It isn't new priced, but not far from it.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    With Ft. Benning just across the river one would expect to find low prices on stuff, but that is not the case. It isn't new priced, but not far from it.....
    If you live by an Army post like that, which I do, you will find a lot of those at the Goodwill stores around, just not this time of year. Go when it starts getting warm and it'll be there cheap. This time of year it doesn't stay on the racks long. I have quite a few sets of the stuff.

I got a pair of Mickey Mouse boots for 5 bucks at a yardsale a few years ago. Those things are amazing warm. The cold temps here don't get much below 20 normally. Only issue I've found is the air release knob is right in the way when setting cross legged while hunting. Least for me, it hits right on the ankle.

Mickey Mouse boots! How well I remember them. Ours were black, and had no air valve. Our socks were wool. You were o.k. in them for awhile, but if you moved around much your feet would sweat, socks get damp, and your feet were cold anyway. Just not as cold as without them.

I love military surplus. On time on hunting trip buddies expensive REI stove didn't function. I pulled out Swedish alcohol stove and saved the day. I bought 45 automatic leather holster in Misoula for 15 bucks, looked new. I found Swedish wool pants in Oregon, in man size. I have water bladders I use. Then I loved p38 can opener,one I used is 50 years old probably. Ponchos, and liner, framed backpacks.
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!

Boolit Mold
    I too wear a fair bit of army surplus. Actually had a buddy give me his wool lined parka and bib front lined pants (he claims they "shrunk"). He used to wear them when in a Canadian tank or APC. Hard to warm up 30 tons of frozen steel, so they dress for it instead. Between that and surplus wool sweaters, and couple pairs of combat boots, for summer and winter, I can be pretty comfortable.
    The army surplus mitts are hard to come by because all of the farmers and sledders up here snap them up at a fraction of the cost of big box store prices. Goofy fitting, but stupid warm

Boolit Grand Master

Military gear still serves me well since 1971 when I became a part of the "green machine".
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Had the opportunity to pick up a bunch of British surplus very cheap. Excellent, well made equipment. There is an outfit called Varistekla from Finland that has an awesome selection of surplus and their own gear. A lot of merino wool products and stuff designed for Finnish weather. Their shipping to the US is very reasonable. Cool selection of stuff you usually dont see here.

Boolit Master
    Uncle Sam used to provide some good quality stuff. ive picked up some good cotton button down shirts at surplus stores. cut all the patches off and wore out quite a few of em. I for one appreciate the heavy starch when getting them pressed.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerShooter View Post
    Had the opportunity to pick up a bunch of British surplus very cheap. Excellent, well made equipment. There is an outfit called Varistekla from Finland that has an awesome selection of surplus and their own gear. A lot of merino wool products and stuff designed for Finnish weather. Their shipping to the US is very reasonable. Cool selection of stuff you usually dont see here.
    So how do you get in touch with them? Not getting anything on the net search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I had a chance to try out some Air Force mukluks. Thick rubber soles, with waterproof canvas uppers. With wool inserts, they kept my feet warms, and they were very comfortable to wear.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    So how do you get in touch with them? Not getting anything on the net search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://www.varusteleka.com/en

I was sold on wool clothes when hunting in Alaska. Mainland Alaska has cold and wind. Southeast Alaska has wind and rain. he Aleutians have wind and everything else - rain, snow, and rain and snow. The commercial fisherman all wear good qualithy rain gear - Helly Hanson, Grunding, etc.. But they don't have to be quiet. I tried them but found that wool would keep you just as dry ,warm, and quiet. Hardshell raingear does not keep you dry. If you are fishing commercially you will be wetted from weather, nets, traps, or fish. One way or another you won't be an hour without being soaked. Hunters need to be quiet and warm.

I like the earth colors for the top layer. Camo if possible. Wool from European countries works just as well here.

Jim

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    +1 on on the Finnish link above. I keep their wool pullover anorak in the truck year round and treated mine with Scotch Gard so that it works either as rainwear or as a winter warming layer over a waffle - weave poly fleece vest. ESSENTIAL survival gear!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Finding a good source is the key. The Surplus store near us is above retail on most items.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle