Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: B.C. of .431 keith SWC?

See Post #14 here.
    Uuuuuhhh...

See also http://arsenalmolds.com/image/cache/...od-500x500.jpg
    Appears to be a TC (?)

I'm seeing a lot of 503 "clones' that obviously "aren't"
    But I am unfamiliar w/ "California address" term. Can OP(cit) post ?
    Last edited by mehavey; 02-27-2018 at 08:32 AM.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3540.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	215287Really, when we come back down to earth there is no true KEITH bullet being made today. It doesnt make a bit of difference what was made back in the way yonder years. Only what is made today. We know a true KEITH bullet was made at one time because Lyman made one. They dont now. That is all that matters in reality.
    Who knows what KEITH bullet Elmer Keith had in his M29 when he carried it last? Does anyone? I would say not. Was it a Lyman, an H&G? What alloy? What was it sized to. Did he cast it? What lube did it have?
    Does it really matter? No.
    He was my favorite. Still is my favorite. No matter whether I, you or probably anyone else, even if we were using a TRUE KEITH BULLET wouldn't be able to duplicate him or what he did.
    That is the bottom line. Use the TODAYS Keith, load with 2400, use standard primers and be happy with it.
    We are just us is all we are.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 02-27-2018 at 03:35 PM.

I think most "keith type" boolits will work fine today, athough I can say I don't like the looks of the round grease groove, really, the differences arew so minute that I don't think any animal you shoot is going to hate on you for not using" the original keith"!!!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Another 70 years from now people will be debating if a real Keith bullet is supposed to be a bevel base or flat base slick-side for powder coating. I can already imagine Elmer by the campfire with his airsoft BBDT bowl...

From what I gather here you can tell if it's a Keith from how it looks on what is sticking out of the case mouth and not so much what is under the crimp?

I have a Mihec 503 mould and I'm not so sure it's the same as a 429421 (as some say). Its OAL is longer 1.690 and it weighs 261 grains which is about 15 grains heavier. The Mihec 503 IMO is a great projectile.

Is the Mihec 503 the same as the H&G 503?
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    From what I gather here you can tell if it's a Keith from how it looks on what is sticking out of the case mouth and not so much what is under the crimp?

I have a Mihec 503 mould and I'm not so sure it's the same as a 429421 (as some say). Its OAL is longer 1.690 and it weighs 261 grains which is about 15 grains heavier. The Mihec 503 IMO is a great projectile.

Is the Mihec 503 the same as the H&G 503?
    Could you, or me, or anyone else on here tell the difference between any of the so called Keith bullet in shhoting them?
    No.
    It justs gets my goat that these mold makers say I make the Keith bullet. Another will say no, i have it here. Another will say no, no, I have it over here when they know they dont have the true Keith. They may have a very close copy but that is all.
    Just say I make a close copy of the Keith. Even the Great Hensly and Gibbs had at least two versions of the 503. Keith himself was a big fan of the 503 H&G.
    I have both versions. Which did Keith actually like of the two? Did he like both? Did he shoot both?
    Who knows?
    Does it really make any difference in ones shooting?
    I dont think so. Why not just say "i make a close copy of the Keith". And "I shoot a close copy of the Keith".
    We all say we shoot a Keith. Why, we just arent precise in our description just like the mold makers arent.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 03-04-2018 at 05:28 AM.

I agree with you, that is why in most of my posts, if I remember, I always say "keith style" boolit, so as to not ruffle any feathers, lol
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Well I was just asking because I thought I'd try a low charge of Blue Dot for my 503 using 429421 data and my model 29 slapped my hand like a nun with a ruler.

I think the mould cutters of old could've made things easier if or when they decided to make a change by adding a -X to the end. If they wanted to keep the same number, like 429421-1 or 503-2 unless they were always making slight changes. Maybe that why there is no solid info on grove location shapes and sizes to make an original Keith bullet? I would take it then that Mr Keith was more a shooter than a designer. I haven't read his book. When does a round flat become a WFN, maybe its best to not worry about it and go out and shoot.
    Last edited by pmer; 03-05-2018 at 09:21 AM.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    "Well I was just asking because I thought I'd try a low charge of Blue Dot for my 503 using 429421 data and my model 29 slapped my hand like a nun with a ruler."

ME: Ive shot all kinds of loads in a 44 Magnum. There isnt anything you cant handle if you put your MIND to it.
    Just hold and let it do its thing.

"I think the mould cutters of old could've made things easier if or when they decided to make a change by adding a -X to the end. If they wanted to keep the same number, like 429421-1 or 503-2 unless they were always making slight changes. Maybe that why there is no solid info on grove location shapes and sizes to make an original Keith bullet? I would take it then that Mr Keith was more a shooter than a designer. I haven't read his book. When does a round flat become a WFN, maybe its best to not worry about it and go out and shoot. "

ME: Study is the key. You will find out about LFN, WFN, WLN and many others. Most of us, or I should say at least a few, study. We take our time and read, investigate, think and try to get information.
    Mold makers are doing a business. They make money. If they arent into money let me know who he is and Ill order maybe three or four molds. They try to keep clients by giving a sales promotion by "SELLING" their product to stay ahead. Nothing like orders stacking up to be sure one has either mad money coming in or a second income to help pay the bills.
    So on and so forth.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 03-05-2018 at 11:31 AM.