Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 358 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Buddy
    I've read the MBF folks did a beta trial on a conversion some years back. The video at least looked more than promising. I've reached out several times and been told they're out but will be making some. Over two years now.......

Boolit Master
    I wonder if that is because they didn't feel the market for nose down was high enough? I know most would want base down for feeding a loading press instead of a sizing press....

ADMIN

I heard the problem was it wouldn’t work with EVERY bullet. SWC designs are harder.

I really think this 3D printed one needs to made nose down only
    It could be sold without restriction as MBF is base down.
    All it would take is the standard drop hole isn’t printed.
    I don’t think that would not be hard to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy
    - @Hatch: Based on the emails I got from printers there is definetly a need for both, base down and nose down. Use that plug: https://www.thingiverse.com/download:4648736
    - SWC/WC is nearly impossible, due to the lack of weight difference between base and nose.
    - I am reloading and hunting since summer 2017, so I definetly need help. That's why I decided to make the project public and I really appreciate the discussions here
    - @jmorris: I really like your design an already adapted it to mount on the droptube and for spring usage. The only problem with that gravity flipper is, you will need a certain height to make it work properly and reliable.

Boolit Buddy
    @jmorris: that's a first sketch. What do you think? (it's 100mm in height)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet_flipper_03.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	214899
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet_flipper_04.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	214900

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Watch the video I posted in #21. Bullets don’t come out of a collator like water out of a faucet. The spacing on the wheel forces them to drop out one at a time. Same thing keeps them from locking up dropping out into a tube, one at a time.
    I agree. There is enough spacing between bullets that your "Y" design will work fine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AmmoMike83 View Post
    - @Hatch: Based on the emails I got from printers there is definetly a need for both, base down and nose down. Use that plug: https://www.thingiverse.com/download:4648736
    - SWC/WC is nearly impossible, due to the lack of weight difference between base and nose.
    - I am reloading and hunting since summer 2017, so I definetly need help. That's why I decided to make the project public and I really appreciate the discussions here
    - @jmorris: I really like your design an already adapted it to mount on the droptube and for spring usage. The only problem with that gravity flipper is, you will need a certain height to make it work properly and reliable.
    Welcome to the forum.

I have been playing with the collator with a piece of tape covering the exit hole. I was off yesterday and played with the collator trying to get my 124gr SWC 9mm bullets to drop consistantly without a lot of success. I realize it may be possible to do it but my patience is almost at an end and I need a solution like the jmorris "Y" flipper just to make the problem go away. I purchased the printed collator with the idea it would drop nose down or base down. I won't have hurt feelings if I have to add another piece to the mix. Unfortunately I do not own a 3D printer yet at least.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I have been playing with the collator with a piece of tape covering the exit hole. I was off yesterday and played with the collator trying to get my 124gr SWC 9mm bullets to drop consistantly without a lot of success. I realize it may be possible to do it but my patience is almost at an end and I need a solution like the jmorris "Y" flipper just to make the problem go away. I purchased the printed collator with the idea it would drop nose down or base down. I won't have hurt feelings if I have to add another piece to the mix. Unfortunately I do not own a 3D printer yet at least.
    First of all thank you.
    To determine the problem, could you please send me video of the "working" bullet feeder? SWC is tricky, but should work. FWC is not possible.

Q: Will I be able to load full wadcutters with this unit?

A: Unfortunately, the system will not function properly with full wadcutters. Full wadcutters are the same diameter on each end, and because of this, the dropper unit cannot dispense individual bullets. Semi-wadcutters however, will work properly in the unit.
    http://www.mrbulletfeeder.com/other/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    I heard the problem was it wouldn’t work with EVERY bullet. SWC designs are harder.

I really think this 3D printed one needs to made nose down only
    It could be sold without restriction as MBF is base down.
    All it would take is the standard drop hole isn’t printed.
    I don’t think that would not be hard to do.

Unfortunately due to the fact I didn't have my coffee yet I had to read your post several times before it soaked in. I understand now that your saying the collator needs to be made to be a nose down only unit and that way it can be sold without fear of legal ramifications. Am I correct? There would be enough differences between it and the high priced MBF unit that people wouldn't have to think very long before they pulled the trigger and purchased the AmmoMike83 design.

Banned
    PM sent

Due to my old age I'll have to get my grandaughter to show me how to make a video and send it.

ADMIN

Mike, keep in mind Joe isn’t using the latest version of the nose down slide.
    I am gonna print him out this weekend

ADMIN

Mike, keep in mind Joe isn’t using the latest version of the nose down slide.
    I am gonna print him out this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoMike83 View Post
    @jmorris: that's a first sketch. What do you think? (it's 100mm in height)

That’s pretty much it. I made the cover plate out of clear plastic so I could see what was going on. Would have made it easier to see what I might need to change, if it hadn’t worked.

FWIW I have a video Rick (Mrbulletfeeder) send me of his nose down conversion of his old collator. If anyone is interested I could repost it (photobucket has made the one I uploaded useless).

Boolit Bub
    I also do not think WC can be made to work reliably. The flat base that must ride on the edge of the nose down hole to prevent base first drops is the same size as the flat base on the nose of the bullet, no way for the collator to reliably account for the difference. I have adjusted my MBF nose down adapter to almost work but it would miss every so often and drop a base down. SWC could be made to work if there were two ridges, one that would let the bases ride past the hole and another that would push the nose of the swc into the hole. Once I get the printer here I plan on working on the design of the adapter. Oh yeah, I'll have to figure out how to use the cad software, lol.

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post

FWIW I have a video Rick (Mrbulletfeeder) send me of his nose down conversion of his old collator. If anyone is interested I could repost it (photobucket has made the one I uploaded useless).
    I have that video on my YouTube channel already.

I also do not think WC can be made to work reliably. The flat base that must ride on the edge of the nose down hole to prevent base first drops is the same size as the flat base on the nose of the bullet, no way for the collator to reliably account for the difference.
    I don’t think it matters much what end is up on a wadcutter, if there is no difference, it makes no difference.

If your running a hollow base wadcutter, you would have to come up with a unique solution that wouldn’t be much use for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    I have that video on my YouTube channel already.
    Mind posting it here?

ADMIN

I can’t do it right now but feel free. It’s public and on my Channel. Think the title is something to look at

Boolit Bub

Boolit Buddy
    That's what we are trying to achieve. Maybe I should publish a solid turning plate, everyone can dremel down by himself

Page 4 of 358 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast