Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Buddy
    is there anyone that can show me how to hook up the bullet/case feeder to a Lee APP press? I think i must be missing something.... just can't piece it together the way i think it should be done (been working with an adhoc "fix").

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MSUICEMAN View Post
    is there anyone that can show me how to hook up the bullet/case feeder to a Lee APP press? I think i must be missing something.... just can't piece it together the way i think it should be done (been working with an adhoc "fix").

Thanks!
    Think you can get more specific? Case feeder interface is different from a bullet feeder interface. What are you trying to do, and what caliber to start with? And have you added TylerR's quickchange system to it, or just stock feeding from a 4-way or using the stock APP feeder downtubes? And are you wanting to use springtubes or clear thinwall tubes?

Have you downloaded and studied the manual yet? Lots covered in the manual.

Boolit Buddy
    nevermind. i figured it out. the problem is i was an idiot and didn't realize i needed a drop tube on each side for whatever reason when using the proximity sensor at the collator and not at the bullet die. after printing them out this afternoon (drop_tube and spring_adapter_dt). not exactly sure why i couldnt piece that together earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Files promised to M500 below: (or anyone else interested in his relay project I'm sure he'll share.) This is a modified relayed switch and speed control to fit a relay board M500 wants to add to the prox switch controls.

I noticed a minor mistake in the Lid file. It showed up in the picture above.... correction re-submitted so download again.

Also below is a picture of the relay circuit added to the original speed control circuit board....even has a read out which I have no idea what it's for! For which the window was added in the lid. Maybe M500 will explain.

curiosity level intensifies..........paging M500 to the front desk......

I'm going to print one of these. Need help with settings
    Under sensor should I select Collator Mount. I'm going to be using proximity sensor.

Boolit Bub
    The circuit board GWS posted is a YYC-2S timing delay relay. It can be used in place of the Kyoto KF0602D as listed in the manual. This is intended primarily for press mounted proximity sensors. It will reduce the constant switching on/off of the motor. The display and buttons on it are for programing the timer. It is pre-programed with many different configurations. There is a great video of this unit in action made by Robojax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRAaTRKRmh0

Important note:

The unit Robojax tested in this video is a unit with the older firmware. The relays are now shipping with different firmware requiring a schematic as accompanied by this post. The new program needed is 3.6, time A= 1.5 (or 2), time B= 5 (or adjust to your needs). There is a video showing this function. Skip to the 3 minute mark.

https://www.amazon.com/vdp/05c0ba45d...4089d39de02e2a

Along with the box GWS posted you will need his controller, rocker switch, the YYC-2S relay, and a diode for sensor protection.

https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-12V-4.../dp/B00QVONO20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S2QJKTX

https://www.amazon.com/Automation-Co...dp/B07V7C4XSR/

https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Diode...09HWXK2QB?th=1

Big thanks to GWS for modifying his electronics box to fit both boards.

Also reposting my zip for anyone wanting to use duel proximity sensors to reduce cyclic rate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails relay proximity Capture.jpg   rsz_2.jpg   rsz_3.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by M500; 04-22-2023 at 12:14 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by kentfielddude View Post
    Under sensor should I select Collator Mount. I'm going to be using proximity sensor.
    If you want the proximity sensor mounted on the drop tube of the collator, then yes. If you will be going press mounted then no.

Quote Originally Posted by kentfielddude View Post
    General rule is for cases go with collator mount. For bullets go with press mount. That said either choice will work with both. Issue with using collator mount for bullets is that the weight of the bullets could be too heavy for the spring when fully loaded.

Boolit Bub
    Is it possible to wire the prox sensor such that it powers on when metal is near it or did I get a wrong part? The labeling is the same as the other prox sensors I have. Not a newbie here, but very possible the wiring is wrong, but I can’t find it.
    Last edited by r4ndy; 04-22-2023 at 04:53 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Brown is positive.
    Blue is negative.
    Black is the trigger.
    DN & DN2 sensors connect trigger to negative ground.
    DP & DP2 sensors connect trigger to positive supply.

DP= normally open positive trigger
    DP2= normally closed positive trigger

DN= normally open negative trigger
    DN2= normally closed negative trigger

The DN2 is the sensor commonly used.
    Good chance your sensor is normally open rather than normally closed.

Boolit Bub
    Was definitely a faulty sensor, changed it out with a spare and everything worked properly.

Boolit Mold
    Is there a way to modify a bullet die for 6mm (0.243") bullets? The only files I see are .stl. I want to try running my 6BR bullets.

Want an extra station on your progressive?

Finished the feed and seat for .223 a least......

This is on a Lee 6000, but the concept feeding and seating rifle bullets in one station could be used on any caliber on any progressive probably....if you can find a Windowed Seater for RCBS's or Lees inline bullet feeders.

This is the station by station idea:

1. Size
    2. Expand neck with an "M" Die shelf
    3. Powder Charge
    4. Powder Cop
    5. Bullet Feed and Seat in One Station
    6. Taper Crimp

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Finished the feed and seat for .223 a least......

This is on a Lee 6000, but the concept feeding and seating rifle bullets in one station could be used on any caliber on any progressive probably....if you can find a Windowed Seater for RCBS's or Lees inline bullet feeders.

This is the station by station idea:

1. Size
    2. Expand neck with an "M" Die shelf
    3. Powder Charge
    4. Powder Cop
    5. Bullet Feed and Seat in One Station
    6. Taper Crimp
    Very nice. I am not sure I fully understand what you have going on there.

Boolit Buddy
    Using the gold metal match (rcbs version, I'm sure there are others) seating die you can feed through the window then seat. Which would free up a station over using a standalone feeding die. Think I got that right.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MSUICEMAN View Post
    Using the gold metal match (rcbs version, I'm sure there are others) seating die you can feed through the window then seat. Which would free up a station over using a standalone feeding die. Think I got that right.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I get it now

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeavers1 View Post
    Is there a way to modify a bullet die for 6mm (0.243") bullets? The only files I see are .stl. I want to try running my 6BR bullets.
    Doh! Took me hours to figure out you just want a bullet FEED die in .243. Ha Ha, I was trying to figure out how you would cast bullets with a modified bullet die.....thinking molten lead......what an idiot I am! Design Spark is rocking a boat at the moment, so to use TylerR's existing source code to modify an existing bullet feed die to .243 MAY have a time limit. He will have to hurry.....

Lee's new inline bullet feed dies are a possibility. A metal copy of these things for $50 or a little cheaper from a dealer.

I'm pretty sure Lee copied the 3d printed ones except for the internal central spring instead of having 2 external springs. The black plastic spring "keeper" screws into the top of the die.

Think of the possibilities if Lee started making windowed seaters for both pistols and rifles.....nobody makes such seaters for pistols.

Then you could print out a coupler like i did for the .223 for even pistol. Such could be used to make 6 station presses out of 5 station presses, and 7 station presses out of 6 station presses.
    Last edited by GWS; 04-27-2023 at 06:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    has anyone come up with a good storage solution for the casefeeder and/or LEE APP conversions? want to make my bench kinda tidy if possible. if not, i'll attempt (though i'm slow as molasses in CAD these days, being 22 years removed from doing actual CAD/FEA work will do that to ya).

That's the bane of reloading in general. Especially worst when you add a 3d printer and make all this good extra stuff!!

I don't have any room on my walls unless I starting throwing away half of what I own.....and maybe I'm coming to that. The latest "good" thing I added (and you have to have room for an island in front of your bench, was that I found a horizontal file cabinet in a self storage unit that somebody abandoned. A metal one but similar to this in shape, but 2' wide x4' long:

So now I organize that stuff in the top drawer, and the bottom drawer has the quickchange presses, Summit and APP and a bench primer changed out and not currently mounted...all neatly out of sight but fast to get to. Maybe check out a used furniture store.....

Boolit Mold
    I totally never thought of it when I left out the FEED part...SORRY! Ill snag one of the Lee ones and see how it works then let you know.

Page 322 of 360 FirstFirst ... 222272312313314315316317318319320321322323324325326327328329330331332 ... LastLast