Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Bub
    GWS, thanks for the reference to your controller. That one and the old ones have the same connections, so all is well.

OK, how do I pm TylerR a zip file?
    Last edited by M500; 12-05-2022 at 04:26 PM.

Never could do that, but you can pin it into a regular post:

1. Put any files you want him to get in a folder.
    2. Open the folder.....click "share" then highlight the files you want in the zip.
    3. Click the menu item "Zip", while in that folder with the files highlighted.....name it.....it will add the zip file in that same folder.
    4. go to your post, click "Advanced", scroll down to "Attachments" and click on "manage attachments".
    5. Add files
    6. Browse (find the folder and zip file on your computer)....Open.
    7. Highlight the zip file newly displayed on the menu of attachments.....select it by checkmark
    8. Insert Inline.....click "Done"

Keep in mind, there is a size limit....may take more than one. If you figure out how to do it in a P.M. share.....Tyler figured out how to share his whole life in the special program he uses.....I know NOTHING about that one.
    Last edited by GWS; 12-06-2022 at 01:37 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I see now. Thanks. Will need to do this in steps. 3MB max file size.

Boolit Bub
    TylerR, Here are some files for you. See accompanying PM. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by M500; 12-05-2022 at 08:22 PM.

Sorry for the delayed reply guys. Life has been coming hard and fast these day, with little free time.

To answer the original question about speed controllers, I do have three feeders with the smaller one listed in the manual and have not had any issues with them at all so far. GWS was the one who first posted a link to them, and it sounds like his experience is not 100%. I have also used the speed controller M500 posted. That was the original one I found when building my first collator. It's possible it is higher quality, but it is a much larger form factor. Not an issue if using one of the larger control boxes. The one GWS is using now also seems like a solid option.

M500, Thank you for the PM, especially the personal note. I appreciate that very much. It sounds like you did some solid work there. I downloaded the files and will take a look at them as soon as I can.

calgarysparky, it sounds like a printer calibration issue to me. As M500 said, the parts are designed to fit snugly. If they require excessive sanding to fit then something else is going on.

I would like to personally thank GWS for all of his contributions to this project and this thread. He goes way out of his way to answer questions with very detailed and knowledgeable responses, way better than I do to be honest. I hope everyone appreciates what a valuable resource he is here.
    Last edited by TylerR; 12-06-2022 at 12:19 AM.

Boolit Bub
    A big thank you to both TylerR and GWS. Well done guys.

Boolit Mold

Lee APP Customizable BottleNose Brass Insert openscad file

Attachment 308001

May need tweaking, my first attempt at this, not printed or tested yet

Quote Originally Posted by rsp111 View Post
    Attachment 308001

May need tweaking, my first attempt at this, not printed or tested yet
    I like this. I added "$fn=100;" to smooth it out a little. Can you clarify exactly how these two params should be used?
    ShoulderHeight = 39.62;
    ShoulderWidth = 11.53;

Hmmm......so this might be a way to make quick custom case inserts for the APP.....like Ammo Mike created to make custom collator plates? Interesting!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    I like this. I added "$fn=100;" to smooth it out a little. Can you clarify exactly how these two params should be used?
    ShoulderHeight = 39.62;
    ShoulderWidth = 11.53;
    Well, It was meant to use the sammi drawing dimensions. ShoulderHeight would be from base to the start of the taper, and shoulderwidth would be the diameter at that point. I used mm as a reference. I based the defaults on the 308 case. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cartridge_308.PNG

Like I said, it may not be perfect and require tweaks. This is my first attempt at OpenSCAD. I used the original 308 brass insert as a reference. I wanted a insert for 284 winchester and one for 6.5 prc. The 284 will work with the original feed tube size, but the 6.5 prc will need a larger tube.
    Last edited by rsp111; 12-13-2022 at 12:44 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Well here she is!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet_feeder.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	308256

Quote Originally Posted by rsp111 View Post
    Well, It was meant to use the sammi drawing dimensions. ShoulderHeight would be from base to the start of the taper, and shoulderwidth would be the diameter at that point. I used mm as a reference. I based the defaults on the 308 case. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cartridge_308.PNG

Like I said, it may not be perfect and require tweaks. This is my first attempt at OpenSCAD. I used the original 308 brass insert as a reference. I wanted a insert for 284 winchester and one for 6.5 prc. The 284 will work with the original feed tube size, but the 6.5 prc will need a larger tube.
    I really like the idea of what you got going here. I will run some tests and print a few out. With your permission I will include it in the downloads once we are sure it is working as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by calgarysparky View Post
    Well here she is!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet_feeder.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	308256
    Looks good! One more 3d printer collator off to the races....good job!

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Looks good! One more 3d printer collator off to the races....good job!
    Yes! now let's see some video of it in action.

Boolit Bub
    Yes! now let's see some video of it in action.
    just waiting on the optical sensor to arrive and then I'll get the video done up. Thanks to everyone that has made such huge contributions to this project. I hope to add to it in the future!!

just waiting on the optical sensor to arrive and then I'll get the video done up. Thanks to everyone that has made such huge contributions to this project. I hope to add to it in the future!!
    excellent! I like videos. I will ask why not prox sensor though? GWS changed the paradigm with that one.

Boolit Bub
    Let's try this again, LOL. I am going optical because the proximity sensor is very large. If I could have found sensitive regular switches that didn't cost a fortune I would have gone with that. Old school electrician here, hard switches rarely fail compared to electronic/electrical ones.
    Last edited by calgarysparky; 12-20-2022 at 01:22 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Here is a bench mount I designed for 1x1 aluminum tubing. Not sure how to get the file out for everyone though, that I may need help with. Not the most computer literate dude around, LOL. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (21).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	308312

Boolit Mold
    I really like the idea of what you got going here. I will run some tests and print a few out. With your permission I will include it in the downloads once we are sure it is working as intended.
    Yes for sure, that is why I posted it, free to use, just glad I could contribute. I would have tested more but I actually dont have a printer myself, I get a local guy to print things for me.

Boolit Mold
    Here is a bench mount I designed for 1x1 aluminum tubing. Not sure how to get the file out for everyone though, that I may need help with. Not the most computer literate dude around, LOL. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (21).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	308312
    I had an idea about using a high computer monitor stand for mounting the collators, thought it would be nice to be able to adjust it as necessary. just need to design a mount that is compatible.

Page 313 of 360 FirstFirst ... 213263303304305306307308309310311312313314315316317318319320321322323 ... LastLast