Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

On TylerR's github, click the green box "code" then download the Zip file for the whole project.......then unzip on your computer..... pick and choose what you want to see and/or print.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    On TylerR's github, click the green box "code" then download the Zip file for the whole project.......then unzip on your computer..... pick and choose what you want to see and/or print.
    That worked, Thanks! I didn't even know that was an option and downloaded everything individually the first time.

Boolit Buddy
    One thing that really aggravates me is one minute everything seems to be spinning properly, no jams or anything to ruin your mood. Then all of a sudden you are constantly getting jams right when the cast bullet is about to drop down the tube. I have looked and looked to see what could be causing the jams, did a little sanding to smoothen out the areas and still nothing seems to work.

Have some of you guys dealt with the constant jams and how did you resolve it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stanford View Post
    One thing that really aggravates me is one minute everything seems to be spinning properly, no jams or anything to ruin your mood. Then all of a sudden you are constantly getting jams right when the cast bullet is about to drop down the tube. I have looked and looked to see what could be causing the jams, did a little sanding to smoothen out the areas and still nothing seems to work.

Have some of you guys dealt with the constant jams and how did you resolve it?

Thanks
    I absolutely have, and to be honest it could be a lot of different things. Without being able to see what the jam looks like I can only guess. Are there multiple bullets involved in the jam? Is it being jammed by the collator plate? Is the bullet(s) getting caught on the spring, or somewhere in the spring adapter? Can you capture the issue on video and post?

Edited: what bullets are you loading? nose up or down?
    Last edited by TylerR; 02-24-2022 at 09:19 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    I absolutely have, and to be honest it could be a lot of different things. Without being able to see what the jam looks like I can only guess. Are there multiple bullets involved in the jam? Is it being jammed by the collator plate? Is the bullet(s) getting caught on the spring, or somewhere in the spring adapter? Can you capture the issue on video and post?

Edited: what bullets are you loading? nose up or down?
    Maybe this can shed some light, I am stumped. There is a pretty steep angle on the machine, I have adjusted a bit on the angles to see what works best.

https://youtu.be/hBKuPorA3RM

Maybe this can shed some light, I am stumped. There is a pretty steep angle on the machine, I have adjusted a bit on the angles to see what works best.

https://youtu.be/hBKuPorA3RM
    A video is worth a thousand words. really.

The issue is too much angle/too much ridge. My advice is less angle, and go to BND #8.

Those flat points are struggling to fall off the ridge when nose down. So they are either not falling, or falling at the last possible moment, causing a jam.
    Last edited by TylerR; 02-24-2022 at 09:59 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    A video is worth a thousand words. really.

The issue is too much angle/too much ridge. My advice is less angle, and go to BND #8.

Those flat points are struggling to fall off the ridge when nose down. So they are either not falling, or falling at the last possible moment, causing a jam.

I will print out the #8 and give it a shot, will let you know tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help.

Know anywhere else where you can get that kind of help and service with a collator? I don't....our TylerR is one of a kind.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Know anywhere else where you can get that kind of help and service with a collator? I don't....our TylerR is one of a kind.

You got that right...

Boolit Buddy
    Working from home today so I have a lot of time to tinker with my project. We are at the brink of war and I need to be able to resize the thousands of cast boolits that I have so I can start loading.

After printing out the #8 and tested with the lesser angle, it seemed like I was on a roll. Then I noticed the following when it came to jams.

1. Sometimes a few slugs will get lodged into the drop hole, not sure why. Probably have to do a little sanding to smoothen out the inside.
    2. The cast bullet gets lodged in at the corner of the collator plate causing a jam (pics added). I slowed down the speed to test but it didn't change.

There were a couple more I noticed but I don't remember off the top of my head.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	296757

Name:	Capture2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	296756

Working from home today so I have a lot of time to tinker with my project. We are at the brink of war and I need to be able to resize the thousands of cast boolits that I have so I can start loading.

After printing out the #8 and tested with the lesser angle, it seemed like I was on a roll. Then I noticed the following when it came to jams.

1. Sometimes a few slugs will get lodged into the drop hole, not sure why. Probably have to do a little sanding to smoothen out the inside.
    2. The cast bullet gets lodged in at the corner of the collator plate causing a jam (pics added). I slowed down the speed to test but it didn't change.

There were a couple more I noticed but I don't remember off the top of my head.
    The drop hole looks very tight. what caliber / dia is the boolit? Which spring adapter are you using? what size is the ID/OD of the spring?

Boolit Buddy
    The drop hole looks very tight. what caliber / dia is the boolit? Which spring adapter are you using? what size is the ID/OD of the spring?
    The boolit diameter is 11.49. (45 @ 230 gr)
    I don't have a spring adapter connected for my testing anymore, its just dropping through the drop_hole_adapter into my hand for now. The spring adapter will normally be #12.

The boolit diameter is 11.49. (45 @ 230 gr)
    I don't have a spring adapter connected for my testing anymore, its just dropping through the drop_hole_adapter into my hand for now. The spring adapter will normally be #12.
    It must be just the way the camera angle is or something, but when I look at the first pic you posted, the drop hole does not appear to be fully open. Can you shoot another video with a clear view in to the hole?

Boolit Buddy
    It must be just the way the camera angle is or something, but when I look at the first pic you posted, the drop hole does not appear to be fully open. Can you shoot another video with a clear view in to the hole?
    Tyler, not really sure what I did or did not do but it seems to be collating without issues now. It does look like the last boolit went down the wrong direction in the video. If everything remains consistent I can now proceed with the rest of my calibers.

https://youtu.be/Ib2cLRNUdDk

As usual, appreciate the help...

Tyler, not really sure what I did or did not do but it seems to be collating without issues now. It does look like the last boolit went down the wrong direction in the video. If everything remains consistent I can now proceed with the rest of my calibers.

https://youtu.be/Ib2cLRNUdDk

As usual, appreciate the help...
    If basedown boolits are dropping occasionally just increase the angle slightly. finding that angle/ridge sweet spot is what its all about. Also, when you get more boolits loaded in the hopper the whole motion of the plate will be smoother. Glad its looking better!

Boolit Buddy
    If basedown boolits are dropping occasionally just increase the angle slightly. finding that angle/ridge sweet spot is what its all about. Also, when you get more boolits loaded in the hopper the whole motion of the plate will be smoother. Glad its looking better!
    Good to know, I will continue working on that.

Boolit Buddy
    I want to print some parts for my Lee App press but its so hard searching through this forum. What is the orientation of the APP_Base_Slide, it couldn't be how its pictured in the manual. It seems logical laying on the side or face down and using supports, but I know Tylers parts doesn't really require supports.

I want to print some parts for my Lee App press but its so hard searching through this forum. What is the orientation of the APP_Base_Slide, it couldn't be how its pictured in the manual. It seems logical laying on the side or face down and using supports, but I know Tylers parts doesn't really require supports.
    You do actually want to print it as pictured in the manual. that little tab should be on the build plate. Use support touching build plate only, 60% overhang angle. Brim if you need it.

I recently added the "APP_Base_Slide_Long". The front part that pushes the base of the brass is longer, and it is geared towards smaller dia. brass like .223.
    Last edited by TylerR; 02-26-2022 at 08:20 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Tyler,

Quick question. What is this circled on the small rifle collator for? I only see it on this collator and none of the others, makes me wonder if its a mistake.

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	296857

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	296858

I sliced and printed that small rifle brass wheel on IdeaMaker and there was no sign of such anomalies on mine. Are you using Cura or something else? I Think TylerR uses Cura.

Page 280 of 358 FirstFirst ... 180230270271272273274275276277278279280281282283284285286287288289290330 ... LastLast