Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Myers View Post
    TylerR,
    First, i want to say that I stand in awe of your design and organization abilities.
    That being said, I have been using openscad to design multitube adaptors that utilize your bullet feed die models. These work quite well and, as soon as I get a suitable persentation medium worked out, I will post the images here and the openscad and stl files on Thingverse.

Now I am looking at printing out your Bullet and Brass Collator models. Your PDF instruction sheet is quite clear and concise, however the Parts generator is giving me fits.
    The plate generator works fine and the openscad file for plate generation also is straightforward and easy to understand..
    Although I have downloaded and installed the latest Java updates and tried many configurations of the Parts generator, nothing seems to work for me.
    The Parts generator file is located in the folder containing all the body parts and the image below shows my selection of variables. However, I can let the generatorl run for hours, and the Zip folder is still empty.
    I must be stupidy overlooking something obvious, but, try as I might, I can't seem to get it right.

Any help or suggestions you can offer will be sincerely appreciated.

Enclosed is a screenshot of lthe Latest parts generator attempt.

(Click on image to expand)
    Attachment 293273
    Hi Tom,
    Looking at the path in the generator, you are in the wrong folder. Try moving the Parts Generator.jar up one level. Here's how mine is set up and it works well. If you still have any issues, PM me.
    Ed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-12-19 11_42_17-D__Documents_3D Printing_Reloading & Shooting_Collator_TylerR_Feeder-main_Fe.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	293278

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi Tom,
    Looking at the path in the generator, you are in the wrong folder. Try moving the Parts Generator.jar up one level. Here's how mine is set up and it works well. If you still have any issues, PM me.
    Ed

Name:	2021-12-19 11_42_17-D__Documents_3D Printing_Reloading & Shooting_Collator_TylerR_Feeder-main_Fe.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	293278
    Ed,

Thanks for your prompt imput.
    Just like I thought, I was stupidly overlooking the obvious. Now that I look at it, It makes sense that the generator needs access to all of the parts folders, not just the parts in the Main Body folder.

Made the change, clicked the Start button and noted the time. Now just wait.
    I'll post the results again when I hear the ding.

Thanks again.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Ed,

Thanks for your prompt imput.
    Just like I thought, I was stupidly overlooking the obvious. Now that I look at it, It makes sense that the generator needs access to all of the parts folders, not just the parts in the Main Body folder.

Made the change, clicked the Start button and noted the time. Now just wait.
    I'll post the results again when I hear the ding.

Thanks again.
    Tom,

Have you downloaded the latest package from github? There was a bug in the generator where it would fail if any files were missing. The code was updated not too long ago to fix that.

Ed,

I did exactly the same thing.....moved the jar file from where the rest of the files are......took me several days to see it.

Boolit Master

TylerR,
    Thanks for responding.
    4 1/2 hours and still counting.
    Approximately how long should it take?
    The download date was October 16, this year.
    I'll download the latest file and try again.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Boolit Master

Wow,

downloaded the latest version and - Click, Beep. Instantaneous PDF - file with all parts listed and slicer settings for each part.

Thanks guys for your help

I just finished installing my Ender 3 printer in an Ender Enclosure so that should help eliminate my warping problem with large prints that cover most of the printing bed.

Gonna set up the Main Body tonight for the 2 days, 4 hour, 1minute print.

I'm having just so much fun!!
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Wow,

downloaded the latest version and - Click, Beep. Instantaneous PDF - file with all parts listed and slicer settings for each part.

Thanks guys for your help

I just finished installing my Ender 3 printer in an Ender Enclosure so that should help eliminate my warping problem with large prints that cover most of the printing bed.

Gonna set up the Main Body tonight for the 2 days, 4 hour, 1minute print.

I'm having just so much fun!!
    Very good to hear. Let us know how the print goes.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    If you print this and install it....

Then add one of these (this one is for .357mag)

Then print an adapter to allow a Lee 9/16 clear tube to drop in......

Then you can just get some 9/16" (OD) thinwall tubing, and cut a small, say 2" long piece, and drop it in instead of a long "Lee" tubing of the same size........then you can drop that 4-way into it, and add your 4 9/16" tubes that came with the 4-way. Simple......but not as good as one of TylerR's printed collators...........this is one case where one tube (with an electric collator) is better than 4 tubes.
    yeah, i'm kind of going down that path until i get a casefeeder/bulletfeeder printed out. i need to figure out a little better support (i think i'm going to use allthread, and center up the 4-way mounting bolt to Tyler's main support and support it that way. other than that, a few short adapter pieces of tubing (different diameters between brass adapters and the 4-way, depending on cartridge). we shall see. if the tube to tube epoxied adapter isn't working up to snuff, i'll jump into fusion 3d and design one (been a while since i did CAD work, but i'll bumble through it).

Boolit Buddy
    also, for those that are using Tyler's APP press slides and caliber adapters, do you find that you have to shim the main riser to get the proper height above the slider to pass brass through? or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by MSUICEMAN View Post
    also, for those that are using Tyler's APP press slides and caliber adapters, do you find that you have to shim the main riser to get the proper height above the slider to pass brass through? or am I missing something?
    When assembling there needs to be a nut between the bracket and the frame. This helps to create enough tension so the bracket does not try to rotate.

Name:	IMG_1377.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	293434

You do have to have the proper sized slider shuttle underneath.....each adapter is created with one of Lee's sliders (shuttles) in mind....there are several. Usually you want the shuttle at least a little lower than the brass case. That way the next case above doesn't drop below the shuttle height and cause a hung slider/shuttle. At the same time, you don't want it to have to drop farther than you have to, to prevent side movement or tipping.

Boolit Buddy
    Ya. I had it set up with Lee stuff. Just trying to get it dialed in for Tyler's adapters. It doesn't seem like I would use as tall of a pusher on the slide with Tyler's version for 223.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    This is completely untested, but here is a 9mm insert sized to the 40sw body. Should work in theory.

https://github.com/BF556/Feeder/blob...Sig_Insert.stl
    Well, finally got this printed. The ball bearings I got were too small to do what they do, so the bullets slide past. I might just try a standard 9mm die and see if I can get it to work.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

QUOTE=MSUICEMAN;5320824]Ya. I had it set up with Lee stuff. Just trying to get it dialed in for Tyler's adapters. It doesn't seem like I would use as tall of a pusher on the slide with Tyler's version for 223.[/QUOTE]

Nope......use the tallest one for .223 rifle and taller.

and use the adapter that's with the shaped slot for the least trouble and clean drops.

And notice the black base shuttle designed by TylerR, below Lee's tall slider. That part helps too.
    Last edited by GWS; 12-21-2021 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    Well, finally got this printed. The ball bearings I got were too small to do what they do, so the bullets slide past. I might just try a standard 9mm die and see if I can get it to work.

What size were the ball bearings?

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    What size were the ball bearings?
    3.5mm

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    QUOTE=MSUICEMAN;5320824]Ya. I had it set up with Lee stuff. Just trying to get it dialed in for Tyler's adapters. It doesn't seem like I would use as tall of a pusher on the slide with Tyler's version for 223.
    Nope......use the tallest one for .223 rifle and taller.

and use the adapter that's with the shaped slot for the least trouble and clean drops.

And notice the black base shuttle designed by TylerR, below Lee's tall slider. That part helps too.[/QUOTE]

Got the slider. Is the brass tube seated all the way down into the main post in your picture? I'll have to mess with mine more, but it seemed like to have it seated all the way down, I needed to go with the shorter slider. I'll take pics later.

Last edited by MSUICEMAN; 12-22-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    3.5mm

I was looking at the 9mm die more and I think it just might work.

Got the slider. Is the brass tube seated all the way down into the main post in your picture? I'll have to mess with mine more, but it seemed like to have it seated all the way down, I needed to go with the shorter slider. I'll take pics later.
    Yes, fully seated and into the notch. Do you have the nut between the riser and Lee's casting that TylerR shows in his picture in post 5301? That raises it, the height of the nut. Would make a big difference.
    Last edited by GWS; 12-22-2021 at 12:09 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, I guess I was delirious or something. One nut between main post and frame works, as does the correct slides. I did have to do some sanding to get the tubes to fit snuggly but not ridiculously tight. Made an adapter for the 4 tube collator, though I should brace it for additional support. All that will be moot shortly.....

Page 265 of 361 FirstFirst ... 165215255256257258259260261262263264265266267268269270271272273274275315 ... LastLast