Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    I'm just wanting to verify this from a bit ago, the 9mm die set will fit a case like 357 sig? or would I need to use the 40 s&w body?

I'm finally getting everything ready and running... kind of with 300 blackout, but realized i printed the wrong slide plate. I think I've been working on this thing for about 2 years now, and hoping the feed plate is my last hurdle!

now all i have to do is get primers...
    I don't think anything I currently have is going to work for 357 sig. The 9mm insert is not compatible with the 40sw body because the diameters are not the same.

primers.......yeah. I have been watching for them to pop up recently but its like finding a unicorn right now. Not sure if you have used it before but ammoseek.com is your best bet. Set up a saved search with notifications.

Ohh just looked on there and saw this. Won't last long I am sure.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...ampaign=332027

Here is the search I used currently.
    https://ammoseek.com/reloading/prime...int&ikw=pistol

This is completely untested, but here is a 9mm insert sized to the 40sw body. Should work in theory.

https://github.com/BF556/Feeder/blob...Sig_Insert.stl

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    This is completely untested, but here is a 9mm insert sized to the 40sw body. Should work in theory.

https://github.com/BF556/Feeder/blob...Sig_Insert.stl
    Awesome! I really appreciate all the tailoring that goes on in this thread! I'll give that a try, and hopefully I can get to it within a week. I need to find some Magnum large pistol primers, I MIGHT have a single... Solitary... Tray left I've got an app that sends me emails when certain things come in stock.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ok, so I'm having an issue getting the my 300 blackout bullet to drop from the feed plate. It will jam on just about every bullet. If I bump the plate backwards they'll drop. I've tried adjusting the angle, its almost like it needs to be adjusted more level, but if it goes too far, the bullets don't stay in the collator, and they still don't drop. I've watched the video linked in the manual for long bullets nose up(looks like the same bullet I'm using) and I've tried running my feeder even slower than that, and no dice. working on getting a video uploaded. I haven't tried any other bullets(I don't have any other feed plates printed out ATM, and low on filament).

any ideas on what it could be?

ok, so I'm having an issue getting the my 300 blackout bullet to drop from the feed plate. It will jam on just about every bullet. If I bump the plate backwards they'll drop. I've tried adjusting the angle, its almost like it needs to be adjusted more level, but if it goes too far, the bullets don't stay in the collator, and they still don't drop. I've watched the video linked in the manual for long bullets nose up(looks like the same bullet I'm using) and I've tried running my feeder even slower than that, and no dice. working on getting a video uploaded. I haven't tried any other bullets(I don't have any other feed plates printed out ATM, and low on filament).

any ideas on what it could be?
    Once you get the video up we should be able to troubleshoot it.

.....any ideas on what it could be?
    Did you try slowing it down? Hope you installed a speed control. I used to play with high speed and was successful, but it was really just to see if I could. You can't reload that fast so I came to my senses, added speed controls and slowed my collators way down......finding the builds became much easier to make them drop 100% and plenty fast enough.

here's a short clip. in the preview it looks a bit...potato-ey... I clipped and downgraded the quality it in an attempt to get it to upload directly. I could post the full video if needed I guess.

GWS, yes I've got a speed controller and I did try running slowly. just at the end of the clip it runs REEEEEALLLLY slow and a few drop, but its just about too slow for the motor to handle

here's a short clip. in the preview it looks a bit...potato-ey... I clipped and downgraded the quality it in an attempt to get it to upload directly. I could post the full video if needed I guess.

GWS, yes I've got a speed controller and I did try running slowly. just at the end of the clip it runs REEEEEALLLLY slow and a few drop, but its just about too slow for the motor to handle
    Video is very tiny and hard to see, but is there a lip between the slide plate and the main body that the boolit hanging up on? That should be a flat, smooth transition. It looks like the base is catching there?

If that is not the case, a longer full sized video would help.

Here's the full, high quality video, hopefully it's better.

The slide plate is fine, where they hang up is dropping down out of the plate, into the adapter. Other times, if I have the speed set too low, the motor doesn't have enough torque to get past the spring loaded flipper thing(I forget what it's called). The adapter that screws to the bottom that the different spring adapters connect to, does it need to be in a certain orientation? The hole in the spring adapters is a little off center, so I wonder if I have it put together wrong?

Here's the full, high quality video, hopefully it's better.

The slide plate is fine, where they hang up is dropping down out of the plate, into the adapter. Other times, if I have the speed set too low, the motor doesn't have enough torque to get past the spring loaded flipper thing(I forget what it's called). The adapter that screws to the bottom that the different spring adapters connect to, does it need to be in a certain orientation? The hole in the spring adapters is a little off center, so I wonder if I have it put together wrong?

There is no way I can see to enlarge that video. All I get is a very tiny preview in the browser. Also, I really need to see everything that is going on in the collator from more of an above perspective. All I can see is a very small section and it does not help me much.
    If they are hanging up at the drop hole, perhaps there is an issue with the spring adapter you have there.

Edited: I remember now that CB automatically converts vimeo videos in to an embed, and it comes through tiny. I posted about my issues with it a few months back. Best thing to do is add some characters to the url so it will not auto embed. Then we can copy paste it manually in the browser.

1234https://vimeo.com/655065308

How's that? I'll work on getting an above view.

1234https://vimeo.com/655065308

How's that? I'll work on getting an above view.

That is great for me to get the video full screen, but I can not see what is happening at the slide plate or at the drop hole, and the issue is in one or both of those places. I need a shot more from above and wide angle.
    Also it is hard for me to tell how much angle you have on the collator. A pic from the side would help there.

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone here used two photocells or proximity sensors, one at the top and one at the bottom of the drop tube assembly to control the motor so the motor starts running when the bottom sensor doesn't sense a case/bullet and turns off when the top sensor does sense a case/bullet?

Read a while back (think on this site) of a member who built his own case feed mechanism for a Dillon 550 with this arrangement. His bottom sensor latched on a relay and the top sensor unlatched it. He used a capacitor across the top sensor so the momentary interruption of a case/bullet dropping past the top sensor wouldn't unlatch the relay. The top sensor had to be blocked long enough for the capacitor to discharge to unlatch the relay.

No luck yet in locating that thread.

nhyrum: another possibility is that the bullets don't fall far enough.....IOW's they catch on something not smooth in the drop hole.....and the tips then interfere with the next bullet coming? How about a close-up at the drop hole?

Sierra1911: Guess I don't understand the need for more complexity. With what we do....with a single prox sensor.....if there's no stack the motor runs....when the stack fills the motor stops.....when the stack drops one or more the motor runs to fill it up again....then it stops when the sensor detects a bullet that high in the stack. TylerR noticed that a relay is needed to handle the amps involved in the 12V circuit using a motor using too many amps for the low amp sensor.

What does the second sensor accomplish more, and/or better in your mind? I never saw the post you are referring to....sorry.
    Last edited by GWS; 12-09-2021 at 04:27 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Ok I got bored and even though I printed the 300 size, I thought id try to make one from stuff laying around my garage.

Its about 90% done
    The bottom end of a 5 gallon bucket cut to size
    and a 12x2 piece of 12mm Birch aircraft ply.

Yeah I know, it looks like hell.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211209_160925_HDR_resized.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	292875

Name:	20211209_160532_resized.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	292877

Name:	20211209_160541_resized.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	292878

Name:	20211209_160609_resized.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	292879

Name:	20211209_160623_resized.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	292880

Name:	20211209_160644_HDR_resized.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	292876

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Beer Belly View Post
    Ok I got bored and even though I printed the 300 size, I thought id try to make one from stuff laying around my garage.

Its about 90% done
    The bottom end of a 5 gallon bucket cut to size
    and a 12x2 piece of 12mm Birch aircraft ply.

Yeah I know, it looks like hell.
    Wow, that's pretty neat. Those plywood cuts look super clean. Only thing that jumps out at me is you will want to bevel down the lip where the slide plate meets the plywood. Where I made the blue box.

Name:	Untitled5.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	292882

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Tyler but that's just an optical illusion

Its actually very level

Edit: or does stuff get caught there ?

Name:	20211209_163749_(1)_resized.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	292883

Name:	20211209_163602_(1)_resized.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	292884

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Beer Belly View Post
    Thanks Tyler but that's just an optical illusion

Its actually very level

Edit: or does stuff get caught there ?
    ]
    Brass plate looks great. For the bullet plates the lip I highlighted in red is a problem. It needs to be beveled.

Name:	Untitled6.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	292885

1234https://vimeo.com/655164563

Here's some pictures. I did pull the feed plate off to make sure it was flush *** the bottom of the collator, and it sits relatively flush, maybe 1/32 below flush. There are no obstructions in the adapter. I did have some odd bridging after the print, but that was cleaned up with a drill bit by hand.

1234https://vimeo.com/655164563

Here's some pictures. I did pull the feed plate off to make sure it was flush *** the bottom of the collator, and it sits relatively flush, maybe 1/32 below flush. There are no obstructions in the adapter. I did have some odd bridging after the print, but that was cleaned up with a drill bit by hand.
    Perfect. That painted the picture for me. Which spring adapter are you using, and what size spring?
    Last edited by TylerR; 12-09-2021 at 10:08 PM.

Page 262 of 361 FirstFirst ... 162212252253254255256257258259260261262263264265266267268269270271272312 ... LastLast