RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

wbbh, thanks, that helped.

I had bought an assortment of 200 springs on the internet for about the $11 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). So this morning, being fresher in mind, I took another look and found one that worked perfect. Look towards the bottom of the picture....I layed one there to show you how the hooks on each end were at an edge instead of in the middle......that made the springs lay closer to the barrels....I like that. Think I'm ready to go brag on TylerR to my brother..... Does that not look sharp?!
    Last edited by GWS; 09-17-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    wbbh, thanks, that helped.

I had bought an assortment of 200 springs on the internet for about the $11 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). So this morning, being fresher in mind, I took another look and found one that worked perfect. Look towards the bottom of the picture....I layed one there to show you how the hooks on each end were at an edge instead of in the middle......that made the springs lay closer to the barrels....I like that. Think I'm ready to go brag on TylerR to my brother..... Does that not look sharp?!
    That looks great GWS!

I actually bought that same spring set. Problem is I have put about 12 of these dies together. Eventually you run out of the right spring.
    In case you didn't see it, there is also a printable locking ring in there. It works well.

Yeah I saw the rings....after.... But I have like 6 extra metal ones. Still I will be printing some.

Too bad you can't print an "M" die out of plastic......

BTW, you do better at threads than I do. Ever learning, perfection still way out of reach.....

Boolit Buddy

I ran a test this morning using the printed .45 die and just the drop tube on top. I was able to easily fit 10 bullets in that assembly and made a video of it working. For those who may wonder what the extra "clunk" is, I had to rotate the powder measure some so that the feeder assembly would fit, and the failsafe kind of hangs up because of it. Anyone have a good solution to that issue on a 750?

I'm super excited to get this built! I just started the main body print. Simplify says it will be 45 hours, but I know how poorly Simplify estimates print time. This print should be done sometime Sunday night.
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust."
    - James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by mktacop View Post
    I ran a test this morning using the printed .45 die and just the drop tube on top. I was able to easily fit 10 bullets in that assembly and made a video of it working. For those who may wonder what the extra "clunk" is, I had to rotate the powder measure some so that the feeder assembly would fit, and the failsafe kind of hangs up because of it. Anyone have a good solution to that issue on a 750?

I'm super excited to get this built! I just started the main body print. Simplify says it will be 45 hours, but I know how poorly Simplify estimates print time. This print should be done sometime Sunday night.
    Oh yea!
    I read that the 750 does pose an issue with feed dies. Can you show a pic or video of the interference?

Edited: A quick search and I found this.
    https://www.cedhk.com/daa-extra-short-dillon-powder-bar

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Oh yea!
    I read that the 750 does pose an issue with feed dies. Can you show a pic or video of the interference?

Edited: A quick search and I found this.
    https://www.cedhk.com/daa-extra-short-dillon-powder-bar
    Thanks. I'd found that as well, but the small powder bars are out of stock right now.
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust."
    - James Madison

Would it still interfere if you could have the spring go directly to the feed die and use the prox sensor or other switch at the collator?

I echo.....show us a picture or vid.

Hard to believe Dillon didn't see that one during development. Here I thought they were perfect, unlike us mere mortals.

Maybe Tyler can start making powder bars to print! plastic would have to be static electricity proof.....
    Last edited by GWS; 09-17-2021 at 03:34 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Would it still interfere if you could have the spring go directly to the feed die and use the prox sensor or other switch at the collator?

I echo.....show us a picture or vid.

Hard to believe Dillon didn't see that one during development. Here I thought they were perfect, unlike us mere mortals.

Maybe Tyler can start making powder bars to print! plastic would have to be static electricity proof.....
    This photo shows the clearance (or lack thereof), that results in the failsafe on the powder measure making that “clunk” noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

This photo shows the clearance (or lack thereof), that results in the failsafe on the powder measure making that “clunk” noise.
    I question if it will work, and I have no way to test it, but it is possible one of the APP offset adapters could solve the problem.

Try the "Drop_Tube_APP_Offset_Adapter" on the Feed Die and then the "APP_Offset_Connector_13", then the drop tube you already printed. See if that could work with clearance. More parts but there may be a solution within my existing design. Please let us know if it works.

Boolit Buddy

I question if it will work, and I have no way to test it, but it is possible one of the APP offset adapters could solve the problem.

Try the "Drop_Tube_APP_Offset_Adapter" on the Feed Die and then the "APP_Offset_Connector_13", then the drop tube you already printed. See if that could work with clearance. More parts but there may be a solution within my existing design. Please let us know if it works.
    Thank you sir. I'll print those parts once the main body print is done sometime tomorrow.

I've looked at disabling the failsafe mechanism on the powder measure as one option, but would prefer not to do so.

I'm also pretty proficient with Fusion360, so I may just design a new part to be the drop tube and incorporate the photosensor into it. I just recently designed a new spent primer catcher for my 750 that works really well, so I don't think designing an adaptor would be a problem.
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

Boolit Grand Master
    I got the bullet drop die from Tyler and it looks very nice. I prefer not to load .38 Spl without the Powder Check so I ordered a seat/crimp die and it should be here early this week. Those dies were out of stock for a long time but I got the shipping confirmation so I will be good to go.

Many thanks to Tyler for helping me out.
    Don Verna

Ever learning with this hobby.......Don.....but there's enough reward to keep us at it.....reminds me of golf. Good days and bad days! This would be a golf club thrown in the bushes day....

Ugh! It isn't always a rose bed. Nozzle clog at 220 degrees C. At least no spaghetti and wasted filament everywhere.
    Last edited by GWS; 09-19-2021 at 07:45 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    GWS,

Please...do not tell me this is like golf!! I hate the game. One of the benefits of retirement was I never had to play with clients again. The clubs went into the dumpster a few years ago.

LOL
    Don Verna

That's too funny! This is way more fun than golf.....except on days where you get garbage instead of an awesome print! I gave away my clubs 15 years ago.....and never missed them. In fact, that was my excuse to say, "no.... I can't go play golf today".... one more perk, my wife was elated...

Boolit Buddy

I got the main body print completed (47 hour print), and have the first collator plate printing now. That plate is about halfway done since I started it before bed last night. I have to give a big hats off to TylerR! The fit between parts has been spot-on for everything I've printed so far. I've printed a lot of stuff over the past 5 years, and these parts are extremely well designed. Well done sir!

I have a question that I haven't found an answer for in the 240+ pages (not saying it isn't there, I just haven't found it).

How tightly do you fasten the nuts/bolts of the slip clutch to the slip clutch ring?
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

I got the main body print completed (47 hour print), and have the first collator plate printing now. That plate is about halfway done since I started it before bed last night. I have to give a big hats off to TylerR! The fit between parts has been spot-on for everything I've printed so far. I've printed a lot of stuff over the past 5 years, and these parts are extremely well designed. Well done sir!

I have a question that I haven't found an answer for in the 240+ pages (not saying it isn't there, I just haven't found it).

How tightly do you fasten the nuts/bolts of the slip clutch to the slip clutch ring?
    The best answer I can give is, the tighter the better. Only thing to avoid is going so tight that you crack the plastic. I have never put my torque wrench to them.
    Of course, if you get it on there and it is slipping too easily, you can always tighten more from there.

Boolit Buddy

The best answer I can give is, the tighter the better. Only thing to avoid is going so tight that you crack the plastic. I have never put my torque wrench to them.
    Of course, if you get it on there and it is slipping too easily, you can always tighten more from there.
    Thank you sir!

USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

Boolit Buddy

I was able to do a quick function check. I need to reprint the slide plate since it warped off the bed some and is causing the transition to not be smooth, but that is easily done.

Loving this project so far!

USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

Boolit Mold

Making that Bullet Collator

I want to retain my FCD on my LNL AP loading 9mm. That puts my Powder station 2 and the feeder station 3. I am having trouble figuring out if its possible to have them next to each other. Anyone else run into this? I read above about the offset tubes so maybe thats an option? I'll update with a pic.

Quote Originally Posted by robpiat View Post
    I want to retain my FCD on my LNL AP loading 9mm. That puts my Powder station 2 and the feeder station 3. I am having trouble figuring out if its possible to have them next to each other. Anyone else run into this? I read above about the offset tubes so maybe thats an option? I'll update with a pic.
    I would suggest trying the same thing I recommended to mktacop in this post.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post5263824

Page 244 of 358 FirstFirst ... 144194234235236237238239240241242243244245246247248249250251252253254294344 ... LastLast