Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    The new Mongo version of TylerR's collator is for much bigger printers....my Creality CR10v2 @ 300x300x400 isn't big enough.

However the regular sized base that fits your printer and mine....and even the smaller Ender 3's , works great for any bullet caliber, and I use a second one for brass. (.308 rifle brass works great using that size.)

Was there ever a version in the middle? I'm new to this and certainly a little hesitant on just scaling stuff and hoping it works.

First there was Ammo Mike's base and the plates that went with it. It was the size of the first Mr. Bullet Feeders.

Then TylerR came along and made his larger base and plates. That's mostly whats on TylerR's files....stuff for that.

Then just a couple of months ago TylerR made Mongo.......a big one the size of Dillon's giant case feeder.....that one requires a large bed printer.

Doesn't the manual explain that?

I've been reading through this thread with an interest to get started with 3D printing, in particular, a bullet feeder for myself and one for the two other family reloaders.. There is quite an evolution of machines, designs, and materials that is difficult to follow. Is there a post with the current recommendations for a printer, materials, and a design, in particular, where the files might be located as the links in the early posts here are dead?

Thanks!

Ammo Mike's files were removed by him. That was the smaller base and plate system.

TylerR's files (last rendition in post 4603 at the bottom of his last post...signature spot...). Downloads are hot today. Most people are most served by his bigger (than Ammo Mike's) improved model. The Mondo model....TylerR's latest huge model will only be useful if you have a big bed printer.....bigger than my CR-10 version 2 and it's 300x300x400 bed....and a lot more PLA. I think you need a 350x350 bed minimum. I'm sure he added it to collate large rifle brass as it's similar in size to Dillons case feeder, but I'm doing fine collating .308 and .223 brass from the regular sized TylerR base and plates.....if I were reloading 30-06 or bigger I might find it necessary to buy another bigger printer!

If you have an Ender 3, you can print any of Tyler's files that doesn't say Mongo.

The Parts Generator.jar application, and the Manual has everything in it to help you choose what to print. To print plates you need to download Openscad application....a free programming cad application.....to use the .jar file you need to download another free app from Java.....explained in the downloads. You will have to do some homework.....this is not a five minute shake and bake endeavor, but it's more than worth it.
    Last edited by GWS; 06-28-2021 at 10:50 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I tried searching the thread but no luck. For 9mm, is there any advantage to using a hornady or other feed die over the 3dp die?

You don't have to search the whole thread.......just download the TylerR's zip file, download the OpenScad app, read the manual, download the free Java App referred to in the manual, and use the Parts Generator to get you the files you need to print. AmmoMike's files were the small base unit, TylerR's is the medium sized base collator, and Mondo is the Giant one, which you can't make with your small printer anyway.

As for a feed die, the only advantage to the commercial ones is you don't have to print them......or learn how to print them and tweak them successfully.

Read my last post replying to wbbh. Then download the zip file from the bottom of Tyler's last post.....and unzip them.....then you have the printfiles and all the instructions most people need.

Maybe TylerR will come along, and perhaps he can make it more clear?
    Last edited by GWS; 06-28-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wbbh View Post
    I've been reading through this thread with an interest to get started with 3D printing, in particular, a bullet feeder for myself and one for the two other family reloaders.. There is quite an evolution of machines, designs, and materials that is difficult to follow. Is there a post with the current recommendations for a printer, materials, and a design, in particular, where the files might be located as the links in the early posts here are dead?

Thanks!
    Take a look down here.

| | | |
    | | | |
    V V V

You don't have to search the whole thread.......just download the TylerR's zip file, download the OpenScad app, read the manual, download the free Java App referred to in the manual, and use the Parts Generator to get you the files you need to print. AmmoMike's files were the small base unit, TylerR's is the medium sized base collator, and Mondo is the Giant one, which you can't make with your small printer anyway.

As for a feed die, the only advantage to the commercial ones is you don't have to print them......or learn how to print them and tweak them successfully.

Read my last post replying to wbbh. Then download the zip file from the bottom of Tyler's last post.....and unzip them.....then you have the printfiles and all the instructions most people need.

Maybe TylerR will come along, and perhaps he can make it more clear?
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Take a look down here.

| | | |
    | | | |
    V V V
    Thank you both very much! I downloaded the files and started down the rabbit hole.

Apologies for not replying sooner, I thought I had subscribed to this thread but I was mistaken.

Again, thank you very much.

You are welcome, but my part is minuscule see the Kudos below......this thread exists for people like you and me for personal use only, created by some really smart and generous people....and speaking of "only".......I only started last Fall.....and I'm old and approaching senile.....if I can do it so can you.

Kudos to Ammo Mike and TylerR, RedlegEd, and of course o146 who created the manual and the project generator.
    Last edited by GWS; 07-06-2021 at 10:22 PM.

You are welcome, but my part is minuscule see the Kudos below......this thread exists for people like you and me for personal use only, created by some really smart and generous people....and speaking of "only".......I only started last Fall.....and I'm old and approaching senile.....if I can do it so can you.

Kudos to Ammo Mike and TylerR, RedlegEd, and of course o146 who created the manual and the project generator.
    GWS does not include himself in that list, but he knows everything I did to put the sensor right below the collator (Drop_Tube_Alt) was based on his design. And he was the inspiration behind using the proximity sensor, and a bunch of other things
    Last edited by TylerR; 07-08-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Got everything printed and ordering the electronics....Some of this stuff is very similar to the annealer I built. On that the proximity sensor was wired in the circuit for the motor and acted as the relay. Is there any reason why the prox sensor couldn't be wired in after the speed control and not have a relay? ETA - Looking at teh annealer the Prox sensor goes to the motor controller.
    Last edited by robpiat; 07-08-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robpiat View Post
    Got everything printed and ordering the electronics....Some of this stuff is very similar to the annealer I built. On that the proximity sensor was wired in the circuit for the motor and acted as the relay. Is there any reason why the prox sensor couldn't be wired in after the speed control and not have a relay? ETA - Looking at teh annealer the Prox sensor goes to the motor controller.
    It is not a good idea because most of the prox sensors can not handle the amperage to run the motor at full load.

Boolit Mold
    NVM I found it
    Last edited by CS223; 07-09-2021 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CS223 View Post
    I ordered the DAA large & small springs, which Spring tube sizes do I select in the parts generator?
    I believe it is the 10mm and 13mm that you want.

Boolit Bub
    Is it possible to mount two collators together using the Dillon mount? Or will that mount only work on a Dillon case feeder?

Quote Originally Posted by Dsltech1 View Post
    Is it possible to mount two collators together using the Dillon mount? Or will that mount only work on a Dillon case feeder?
    If you look in the Contributors folder there is a dual mount setup from Kc10kevin. It uses a vertical post and a horizontal square tube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m4.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	285834

Figured I would post this here for anyone interested. There is a crazy deal right now for a $169.00 Ender 5 printer. That is half what I paid for mine, and less then most Ender 3's. Ships from USA too.

https://www.banggood.com/Creality-3D..._warehouse=USA

Figured I would post this here for anyone interested. There is a crazy deal right now for a $169.00 Ender 5 printer. That is half what I paid for mine, and less then most Ender 3's. Ships from USA too.

https://www.banggood.com/Creality-3D..._warehouse=USA
    Wow, that makes choosing a printer much easier. Since it ships from China, are there any suggestions for additional items/upgrades?

Boolit Bub
    If you look in the Contributors folder there is a dual mount setup from Kc10kevin. It uses a vertical post and a horizontal square tube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m4.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	285834
    Awesome! I thought that mount was something else. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wbbh View Post
    Wow, that makes choosing a printer much easier. Since it ships from China, are there any suggestions for additional items/upgrades?
    It says it ships from USA, not China.

Page 231 of 360 FirstFirst ... 131181221222223224225226227228229230231232233234235236237238239240241281331 ... LastLast