Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Maybe a little improvement for those who want to load something longer than .223 and .308. (I had saved the radial facing circles just not the cylinders....so it was easy.)

Last edited by GWS; 03-31-2021 at 04:13 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Hello guys! First post here! Been doing ALOT of reading and I think I'm reading to start trying to make my first bullet collator. After a lot of searching, I came across this thread and really appreciate all the work TylerR and the community as a whole have put in on this... (I especially love the manual with clickable links...nice touch!). There's a lot of info in this 221 page thread, but I have a few questions I wondered if some one might be able to help me with?

1. I see 2 mounting options in the Parts Generator...Dillon, and Post. I have a Mark 7 Evolution, and I believe they use the Hornady 11" case feeder. Does anyone know if the Dillon mount will work on the Hornady feeder?

2. For right now, I'll be loading 300 Blackout and 9mm. If my understanding is correct, the 300 blackout would use the small spring tube and the 9mm would use the large one...so, would I want both the small AND large spring tubes from here? https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/mrbul...ension-adaptor

3. In the manual, the ETZGMP38 motor is "highly recommended"...I understand that any of the 4 motors listed will work, but why exactly is this particular motor the highly recommended one? What benefits does it offer that the other 3 don't?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Brian

Boolit Master

Tall Case Sweeper works great

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Maybe a little improvement for those who want to load something longer than .223 and .308. (I had saved the radial facing circles just not the cylinders....so it was easy.)
    Hi All,
    I just printed GWS' tall sweeper and installed it on my RCBS Pro Chucker 7 for .30-06 cases. Needless to say, it works great! Thanks GWS!
    Ed

So it can work for 30-06! Great! But the big test is how it does with a lot of cases at once?

And.....I think I just learned a new trick.....I think I can share .stl files just by attaching a .zip! Who ever it was a few posts back who suggested that, Thank you! Seems to work! Somebody download it and let me know.....

Attachment 280616

The top hole would be used for 223 and 308.
    Last edited by GWS; 03-31-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Boolit Master

So it can work for 30-06! Great! But the big test is how it does with a lot of cases at once?

And.....I think I just learned a new trick.....I think I can share .stl files just by attaching a .zip! Who was it a few posts back who suggested that? Seems to work. Somebody download it and let me know.....

Attachment 280616
    Hi GWS,
    I downloaded the Zip file and opened it just fine....Easy Peasy! I'll have to give the new sweeper a more rigorous test by loading up the bowl, but the simple test I did convinced me it'll work just fine.
    Ed

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
    Hello guys! First post here! Been doing ALOT of reading and I think I'm reading to start trying to make my first bullet collator. After a lot of searching, I came across this thread and really appreciate all the work TylerR and the community as a whole have put in on this... (I especially love the manual with clickable links...nice touch!). There's a lot of info in this 221 page thread, but I have a few questions I wondered if some one might be able to help me with?

1. I see 2 mounting options in the Parts Generator...Dillon, and Post. I have a Mark 7 Evolution, and I believe they use the Hornady 11" case feeder. Does anyone know if the Dillon mount will work on the Hornady feeder?

2. For right now, I'll be loading 300 Blackout and 9mm. If my understanding is correct, the 300 blackout would use the small spring tube and the 9mm would use the large one...so, would I want both the small AND large spring tubes from here? https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/mrbul...ension-adaptor

3. In the manual, the ETZGMP38 motor is "highly recommended"...I understand that any of the 4 motors listed will work, but why exactly is this particular motor the highly recommended one? What benefits does it offer that the other 3 don't?

Brian
    hey Brian welcome

I am by no means the master but i can help with a couple answers

not sure about the mounts have l & l ap and loadmaster

you can go with the springs from double alfa and truth be told that is the way if you want them soon
    for the big try this its what i used for 9mm
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    also if you have time for the smaller one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...7b3e4c4djfPE1W truly slow about 2 months
    and for the bigger spring https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...7b3e4c4djfPE1W

as for the motors i have had great luck with the 370's but they have been known to burn out (not mine yet) the recomended motor is a power house its the original one from d alpha also if you think you will need the torque check out the 555 be sure to get the 10rpm one if it does not say dont buy
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...7b3e4c4djfPE1W a bit more but not like the original it will be interesting for mounting but if you need the mounting spacers let me know (makes install of the motor better)

enjoy

Brian
    Greekman did a great job of answering your questions. I will just add that the motor most people are going with right now is the 634JS. I have not heard anything negative about it so far.
    https://www.amazon.com/Greartisan-Se...p?ie=UTF8&th=1

Boolit Mold
    Are any of the 3D collator plates compatible with Mr. Bulletfeeder?

This looks like a fun project, but I don't want to spend too much time on it. I'd rather buy a Mr. Bulletfeeder and save some money 3D printing the caliber change kits. Is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyGreen View Post

This looks like a fun project, but I don't want to spend too much time on it. I'd rather buy a Mr. Bulletfeeder and save some money 3D printing the caliber change kits. Is that possible?
    Very good question, and the only answer I can give you, is maybe? The plate generator might allow you to generate new plates. I don't own an MBF so hard for me to say.
    You could break some new ground for us and try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyGreen View Post

Just for the record, for anyone who is looking for a simple, no hassle turn key solution, MBF is the way to go.

Boolit Mold
    Does anyone have a better JGY 370 rotor solution for the AM83 design than the one on Thingiverse? The Thingiverse rotor works, but it breaks regularly because there's just not enough meat on it for a ton of usage. Something metal would be preferable... if it means printing out a different plate (hex?), I can do that, I just want to keep this thing running.

If by "rotor" you mean spindle....maybe one of those plastic shaft covers over the motor shaft? If that's what you're talking about, then I see your point.....those PLA "T" shaft covers can't last long. Redleg Ed may have a experienced answer for you as he is still using the smaller AM base and plates......he does use a brass hex shaft spindle.

Seems that he may have even created a plate or two with a clutch as I'm pretty sure the latest updated plate maker can make a clutch centered plate AM size. The clutched plates have eliminated the breakage in the center caused by binding.

On my only 370 motored AM base, it just stopped rather than broke, until I could relieve the bind.....I used the hex also. But I have since gone to the big TylerR bases with big powerful motors and the new clutches eliminated the breakage problem for good. Love 'em!
    Last edited by GWS; 04-01-2021 at 09:35 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by erwos View Post
    Does anyone have a better JGY 370 rotor solution for the AM83 design than the one on Thingiverse? The Thingiverse rotor works, but it breaks regularly because there's just not enough meat on it for a ton of usage. Something metal would be preferable... if it means printing out a different plate (hex?), I can do that, I just want to keep this thing running.
    Hi erwos,
    I believe I know what you might want/need, but please PM me so we can discuss separately.
    Ed

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Very good question, and the only answer I can give you, is maybe? The plate generator might allow you to generate new plates. I don't own an MBF so hard for me to say.
    You could break some new ground for us and try it out.
    Thanks for the answer, Tyler and admirable work you have done here.

Boolit Bub

Brian
    hey brian

if you go ahead with the project let me know i have 3 meters of both the springs if you want to cover shipping i can cut you a chunk

I want to throw out there that I have decided to make the APP bracket 12mm taller to account for brass all the way up to 300win mag. There will be roughly 70mm of clearance now. This does affect any existing inserts obviously. If you are good with using the current bracket and inserts, just hold on to the files you have. But if you do go to the latest release all the inserts will be 12mm too long.
    Last edited by TylerR; 04-02-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Is this an act of sabotage to all the parts, or do you have to go back and redo all the inserts. or maybe just lil extensions will work? I haven't even caught up to the old one yet, so guess I'll wait a little longer to see what becomes of it all.....

BTW, I keep having .223's that stick at the bottom of the ramp.....always 55 grain.....but I figured out the cure....just a slight reshape at the point.
    e stock item is on the right.....the fix on the left....no more binding with the little .223's.

See what you think TylerR. Download: Attachment 280891

TylerR, the purple horiz. face turned out to be maybe a mm high, but it doesn't seem to matter....if you make one, drop it a mm. (I will pull that face down a mm today, and repost) I did not lengthen it at all just made a 3mm high platform with an all important angle slice on the outer corner. Really works nice. I just dropped a new box of those 55's...100 bullets fed and not one fail. 100% base-down. (did use a 6-32 set screw in the back of the bullet drop insert to keep it out a little....don't know that you have to use a tap first, but I did just to make screwing it in the first time easier....done it both ways.)

The problem with the stock part is the crack between the ramp and the slider.....the tips stick in the crack about every 4th bullet (Sierra soft points) The platform fills the crevasse that catches them.

First attempt failed....tips stick caught maybe once every 8..... the triangle facet cured that. Then a hundred straight without a miss.

So TylerR, try the .stl I posted. I was concerned a little because my slicer had to correct errors before it would slice. I have problems using DesignSpark in getting entities to snap exactly where they should go. Autocad is way more easy to get exactness......for me at least. I study every tutorial I can find on DesignSpark, but what I have doesn't work as well as what they show in the videos.....maybe it's just harder to do on a laptop....smaller 17" screen....and menu items that are to small for my eyes to see well. Did the videos help or confuse? Never heard a response.
    Last edited by GWS; 04-05-2021 at 10:58 PM.

Is this an act of sabotage to all the parts, or do you have to go back and redo all the inserts. or maybe just lil extensions will work? I haven't even caught up to the old one yet, so guess I'll wait a little longer to see what becomes of it all.....
    Haha, it is a little bit, and I did not decide this change lightly. Thing is I can always provide people with the old version if they need it. And if you download the current version you can just keep that for what you need.

With 70mm of clearance no one should ever come back and say it does not fit their caliber. Unless its 50bmg. Then you are on your own.

Just to add a little more info, I designed the original to handle up to .308 since I figured most people would not be looking to process anything larger on the APP. But I have had some requests for .270 and 30-06. So I hate to mess with what's already out there, but if I am going to cause any confusion I would like to do it once and be done with it.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by greekman View Post
    hey brian

if you go ahead with the project let me know i have 3 meters of both the springs if you want to cover shipping i can cut you a chunk
    Thanks for the offer! I already ordered from DAA...I do still need to get the list of things from amazon though...634js motor, hex coupler, ball bearings, speed controller, proximity sensor, etc. I'm stoked to get the project going. My brother has the 3D printer and I sent him the files that the parts generator generated for me. I've designed several other parts for my shooting hobby, but nothing as complex as this, so I'm excited to get started!

Page 221 of 358 FirstFirst ... 121171211212213214215216217218219220221222223224225226227228229230231271321 ... LastLast