Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Quote Originally Posted by noacess View Post
    Ok, stupid question before I go printing/designing. My Lee tubes finally came in and I'm trying to determine the correct part to print to go from my 15.5mm OD spring to the 14.5mm OD Lee tube. I know cdstang posted his adapter in post 3235 (Page 162) but it looks like my spring is a bit bigger. The stack in the end would look like this: Collator -> GWS Proximity adapter -> Spring Adapter -> Spring -> Spring to tube adapter (This is what I'm not sure what to use) -> Lee Tube -> LNL AP Case feeder.

Thanks for the help!
    Based on what you are asking to do and what we have now you would have to go:
    Spring -> drop tube spring adapter -> Spring to Drop Tube Adapter -> -Lee Tube Adapter > Lee Tube -> LNL AP Case feeder.

That is if you want to use GWS's adapter and didn't just go with the standard proximity sensor adapter and drop tube.
    Last edited by TylerR; 01-13-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    I have to say, I have spent probably hundreds of hours on the design and test prints, but between the manual and now the parts selector o416 has really made this a complete project.
    You set the bar brother I am just trying to keep up lol

Boolit Bub
    Based on what you are asking to do and what we have now you would have to go:
    Spring -> drop tube spring adapter -> drop tube -> -APP_Drop_Tube_#4_Adapter > Lee Tube -> LNL AP Case feeder.

That is if you want to use GWS's adapter and didn't just go with the standard proximity sensor adapter and drop tube.
    Thank you sir! The reason I started with GWS' solution is because I felt like for cases I wanted the sensor closer to the collator so I have a longer queue given that it seemed from my very limited testing that cases feed much slower than bullets. Of course this could all change after I get everything put together and I do some more fiddling.

I think I saw that you have an adapter for mounting the drop tube right below the collator but I'd still need a way to get from the bottom of the drop tube -> spring adapter -> spring -> spring/tube adapter that doesn't exist -> tube Correct?

Thanks again!

Thank you sir! The reason I started with GWS' solution is because I felt like for cases I wanted the sensor closer to the collator so I have a longer queue given that it seemed from my very limited testing that cases feed much slower than bullets. Of course this could all change after I get everything put together and I do some more fiddling.

I think I saw that you have an adapter for mounting the drop tube right below the collator but I'd still need a way to get from the bottom of the drop tube -> spring adapter -> spring -> spring/tube adapter that doesn't exist -> tube Correct?

Thanks again!
    Actually it does.

In the adapters folder look at this. It adapts a Spring_Adapter_DT to anything that connects a spirng to a standard DT interface which includes the APP adapters. Currently There is only a large version.
    Spring_Drop_Tube_Adapter

Please keep in mind that a lot of these adapters should maybe be in the "experimental" folder, but I figure if someone can dream it up I will design it.
    Last edited by TylerR; 01-12-2021 at 11:19 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Ok, possibly dumb question here but has anyone gotten a 160GN SWC 45 ACP type bullet to work with their feeder? I've been working on getting it to work for my father as that is his preferred bullet outside of the 200 GN. The problem I ran into is due to their size / shape they fall in the collator plate sideways. Picture attached. This weekend I had the idea to take the pivot option intended for the brass plate and print using it. I believe I now have a solution to them falling sideways in the plate and now just need to figure out the ramp and angle to get that little stubby nose to flip each time. Anyhow, just thought I'd ask since I've read and learned so much from this group. Thank you in advance for any ideas. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9939.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	275248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9922.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	275249
    Last edited by HuskJ; 01-12-2021 at 11:50 PM.

You guys lost me on that exchange. If my proximity sensor solution causes that much confusion and incompatibility with Tylers, you ought to remove it from the data base.....especially if you can do the same thing simpler in your minds. Too many roosters in the hen house just causes confusion. Personally, and it is an individual preference, not necessarily better or worse, for bullet feeders, I don't care for all the stuff on top of my feeder dies, preferring just the spring going into the die. You see, the heavy duty springs that came on my Hornady pistol bullet feeder (from which all my pistol feeder mods originated from) handles a stack of bullets fine without distortion. The cheaper springs probably fare better not being full.

As for the case feeder....it's tradition (RCBS,Dillon, Hornady) to have a straight-in clear tube stack with a stop switch just under the collator just like my rendition with Tyler's big base pictured below! ......and that tradition is the only reason I started that way. Well, that and I like to see whats coming.....ok, that and long rifle cases don't as easily bend around a spring like short pistol cases.

Last edited by GWS; 01-13-2021 at 02:35 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I am using this configuration:
    Spring Adapter->Spring Tube->Drop Tube Adapter->Drop Tube->Lee Tube Adapter->Lee Tube->Insert->Main Bracket

The clear tube fills up nicely and even at a very fast speed, I can never beat the collator lol

The height of your collator to your press also plays a factor. I would say mine is about 3-3.5' above my press.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    You guys lost me on that exchange. If my proximity sensor solution causes that much confusion and incompatibility with Tylers, you ought to remove it from the data base.....especially if you can do the same thing simpler in your minds. Too many roosters in the hen house just causes confusion. Personally, and it is an individual preference, not necessarily better or worse, for bullet feeders, I don't care for all the stuff on top of my feeder dies, preferring just the spring going into the die. You see, the heavy duty springs that came on my Hornady pistol bullet feeder (from which all my pistol feeder mods originated from) handles a stack of bullets fine without distortion. The cheaper springs probably fare better not being full (This is true).

As for the case feeder....it's tradition (RCBS,Dillon, Hornady) to have a straight-in clear tube stack with a stop switch just under the collator just like my rendition with Tyler's big base pictured below! ......and that tradition is the only reason I started that way. Well, that and I like to see whats coming.....ok, that and long rifle cases don't as easily bend around a spring like short pistol cases.
    If people want to stop the flow just under the collator with a proximity sensor, your solution is simpler and cleaner. If people want to stop the flow inside the drop tube at the bottom of the spring, then my original solution makes sense. That being said, I decided to create parts that would first allow my drop tube to be connected directly below the collator. Then give people a simple way to have a part at the bottom that transitions back from the spring to a "drop tube" like interface. This second part could be useful for someone using my drop tube under the collator, or your solution.

Here is the thing. I know people want this project to be simple enough for a beginner to understand how to build it, but I am also a big fan of providing options. With what we have now, people can attack their particular solution in many ways, and that is not a bad thing. People need to use their imaginations to some extent to decide what's best for them, even if it might be a little more confusing.

Here are a couple pics showing what could be done using my drop tube at the top. It is using a proximity sensor drop tube just under the collator, drop tube to drop hole adapter, spring adapter, spring, spring to drop tube interface adapter, APP offset connector, APP insert in APP bracket. Sounds like a lot but it's not that bad. It requires two additional parts that yours would not recreating this same setup.

You could also go with a shorter spring and transition right to one of the lee clear tubes like I have in my original video.
    And if your collator was positioned directly over the press you skip the spring altogether and just go right to the clear tube.
    Options, options, options

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1115.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	275260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1116.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	275261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1117.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	275262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1119.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	275263
    Last edited by TylerR; 01-13-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskJ View Post
    Ok, possibly dumb question here but has anyone gotten a 160GN SWC 45 ACP type bullet to work with their feeder? I've been working on getting it to work for my father as that is his preferred bullet outside of the 200 GN. The problem I ran into is due to their size / shape they fall in the collator plate sideways. Picture attached. This weekend I had the idea to take the pivot option intended for the brass plate and print using it. I believe I now have a solution to them falling sideways in the plate and now just need to figure out the ramp and angle to get that little stubby nose to flip each time. Anyhow, just thought I'd ask since I've read and learned so much from this group. Thank you in advance for any ideas. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9939.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	275248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9922.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	275249

I look forward to trying this as I also like the bullet you describe but it’s almost impossible to get to not do what you mention. Look forward to any other testing you have done with this. Great little bullet and super accurate but a pain to load.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok so back to the topic. I have just posted a new release of the project. v1.3.5

Main updates:
    - Brass base up has been reworked to be more reliable
    - Based on recent feedback increased height of standard rifle plates to 20mm
    - o416 has created a new parts generator app that is very cool. It is a gui interface that helps to select the files to you need to complete your project. He also documented it in the manual on page 18. great work man!

-
    I just ran the app and I must say it is very nice. This is really handy for anyone getting into this venture as they will want to know what to print or not print, ask me how I know this.

Thanks TylerR

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    I look forward to trying this as I also like the bullet you describe but it’s almost impossible to get to not do what you mention. Look forward to any other testing you have done with this. Great little bullet and super accurate but a pain to load.
    With the pivot print and a plate height of 11 vs 13 it seems to eliminate the sideways trap but I'll test more this weekend and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskJ View Post
    With the pivot print and a plate height of 11 vs 13 it seems to eliminate the sideways trap but I'll test more this weekend and let you know.
    Did you also try making the hole diameter a little smaller as well? That was my first advice to lablover with his short .32acp.

Quote Originally Posted by stanford View Post
    I just ran the app and I must say it is very nice. This is really handy for anyone getting into this venture as they will want to know what to print or not print, ask me how I know this.

Thanks TylerR
    Thank o416. The app is his baby. but I agree completely.

Boolit Mold
    The manual says the bullet inserts can fit on the drop tubes, I have a 9mm insert that won't fit on the 12mm drop tube, but it will on the 9mm drop tube I have. Do I have an older 9mm insert/dropper?

Also Thank you for saying that 12 is better for 9mm bullets, mine kept going in sideways somehow with the 11 and 10 and jamming the feeder. I have no issues feeding now but my bullets hang sometimes on the top of the 9mm dropper so I was going to try and use my 12mm drop tube. I need to print the 13mm dropper so I can see how well 45lc works.

..........Here is the thing. I know people want this project to be simple enough for a beginner to understand how to build it, but I am also a big fan of providing options. With what we have now, people can attack their particular solution in many ways, and that is not a bad thing. People need to use their imaginations to some extent to decide what's best for them, even if it might be a little more confusing.
    Maybe so, I just don't want to be the cause for unnecessary confusion. Perhaps 0416's manual and app will help. Integration is a good thing if it's done well, without confusing the ideas. Maybe the app is the answer......but I worry about making things too complicated.....you know, too many choices can become quagmire. You're the architect of this project....you need to make it the way you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconpunch View Post
    The manual says the bullet inserts can fit on the drop tubes, I have a 9mm insert that won't fit on the 12mm drop tube, but it will on the 9mm drop tube I have. Do I have an older 9mm insert/dropper?

Also Thank you for saying that 12 is better for 9mm bullets, mine kept going in sideways somehow with the 11 and 10 and jamming the feeder. I have no issues feeding now but my bullets hang sometimes on the top of the 9mm dropper so I was going to try and use my 12mm drop tube. I need to print the 13mm dropper so I can see how well 45lc works.
    I am not exactly sure what you mean when you say it won't fit, but you can't go from a 12mm drop tube to the 9mm bullet feeder. It has to eventually funnel down to the correct size, and that is ultimately done at the drop tube. That is because the bullets/brass stop in the drop tube, and there can't be a lot of play or things get hung up. If the bullet/brass is just passing through (like the spring), a little extra play doesn't hurt anything.

What you can do though is go 12mm spring adapter -> 12mm spring -> 12mm spring DT adapter -> 9mm drop tube -> 9mm feeding die.

If you examine the drop tubes you will see that the 9mm-13mm will accept any spring up to 13mm. 6mm-8mm drop tubes will accept any spring up to 10mm.

Also you didn't mention if you tried the 10mm flush spring adapter or not. If so, were they hanging in there too?

Maybe o416 can find some eloquent way to add the above to the manual. I leave that to his expertise
    Last edited by TylerR; 01-14-2021 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Maybe so, I just don't want to be the cause for unnecessary confusion. Perhaps 0416's manual and app will help. Integration is a good thing if it's done well, without confusing the ideas. Maybe the app is the answer......but I worry about making things too complicated.....you know, too many choices can become quagmire. You're the architect of this project....you need to make it the way you want.
    As I said for most scenarios where you want the (proximity) sensor right below the collator your solution is cleaner and less parts. So it stays in the project. I just added some parts to copy your solution because I could
    And also, people need to be able to figure some things out for themselves.

Boolit Mold
    I am not exactly sure what you mean when you say it won't fit, but you can't go from a 12mm drop tube to the 9mm bullet feeder. It has to eventually funnel down to the correct size, and that is ultimately done at the drop tube. That is because the bullets/brass stop in the drop tube, and there can't be a lot of play or things get hung up. If the bullet/brass is just passing through (like the spring), a little extra play doesn't hurt anything.

What you can do though is go 12mm spring adapter -> 12mm spring -> 12mm spring DT adapter -> 9mm drop tube -> 9mm feeding die.

If you examine the drop tubes you will see that the 9mm-13mm will accept any spring up to 13mm. 6mm-8mm drop tubes will accept any spring up to 10mm.

Also you didn't mention if you tried the 10mm flush spring adapter or not. If so, were they hanging in there too?

Maybe o416 can find some eloquent way to add the above to the manual. I leave that to his expertise
    Ok, I understand now with the drop tube/bullet feed die. I am currently using the 12mm like you said with the 12mm spring to Dt spring into the 9mm drop tube and that is working great. Some are getting caught on the DT spring or right at the top on the 9mm drop tube so I'm going to smooth it out more with acetone. If I tap it, they drop so not a big deal.

Yes jammed with the 10mm flush, I could get get any to feed with the normal 10mm. Less jams with the 11mm, but no jams with the 12 out of 1k 9mm tested through it today.

Im using the Large and small springs from DAA.

Edit, With the 10mm spring adapter my 124gr fmj's aren't dropping straight through, the base is getting caught and stacking up causing the jam. I tried with smoothing with acetone and getting caught.
    Last edited by Falconpunch; 01-14-2021 at 01:28 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Printing 2 Sets of 223 Dies, Photoswitch tubes, and adapters.... My shooting buddy wants a setup! I'm easily bribed with beer!

FYI... White is so clean looking...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210114_060851.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	275291

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconpunch View Post
    Ok, I understand now with the drop tube/bullet feed die. I am currently using the 12mm like you said with the 12mm spring to Dt spring into the 9mm drop tube and that is working great. Some are getting caught on the DT spring or right at the top on the 9mm drop tube so I'm going to smooth it out more with acetone. If I tap it, they drop so not a big deal.

Yes jammed with the 10mm flush, I could get get any to feed with the normal 10mm. Less jams with the 11mm, but no jams with the 12 out of 1k 9mm tested through it today.

Im using the Large and small springs from DAA.

Edit, With the 10mm spring adapter my 124gr fmj's aren't dropping straight through, the base is getting caught and stacking up causing the jam. I tried with smoothing with acetone and getting caught.
    Yea, 9mm don't use 10mm Adapters... you should be using large spring, and the #12-13 adapter.. with the 9mm Drop tube

For instance... I have the 9mm Drop tube, using the #13 Adapters with my ~15mm OD spring (I'm using photosensor)

Your large DAA Spring should measure around 15mm OD so you should be using #13 adapters with it for 9mm

Page 169 of 361 FirstFirst ... 69119159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179219269 ... LastLast