MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    The 45 plate is the original size you made. Not sure what size it was. I'll revisit the sizes when i go to print another one. I wish I could figure out how to answer each post with quotes in one response...LMAO
    Ok. If thats the case I would leave it at the stock 179.5mm dia but change the caliber to 10.5-10.6. The default setting for the large pistol plate is 11.5mm. So at 10.5mm you are gaining a full 1mm of tolerance. Just have to make sure its not so tight the bullets don't go in the hole at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    That's just it......I've had plenty of booboos that bind the motor.....that's what testing is.... You'd think that little motor would burn ...... but it never does.....and I've never heard it hum either.....or is that my dim almost 71 year-old ears?

Tyler? Humming noticed on your big motor?
    No noticeable humming with my motor.

Then there may be a high amperage shut off in the motor electronics, that Labover's doesn't have. If I was DAA I'd definately want that to prevent every other customer from burning out their motors or destroying their bullet feeder plates.

I'm thinking one can buy such a circuit separately.....maybe I'll research that....

Then there may be a high amperage shut off in the motor electronics, that Labover's doesn't have. If I was DAA I'd definately want that to prevent every other customer from burning out their motors or destroying their bullet feeder plates.

I'm thinking one can buy such a circuit separately.....maybe I'll research that....
    Could be..I know that bad boy just rips right thru the plate! Also printing at 2 walls helps in the destruction...hahaha. I think if I get a plate that’s dialed in perfect I may update to more walls etc..not sure.

I’m 57 and rode hard and put up wet ! The Marine Corps took its toll for sure. Ya don’t realize it until you get older. I’ll have to try that posting with quotes thing when I can actually sit in front of a real keyboard for more than 5 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Ok. If thats the case I would leave it at the stock 179.5mm dia but change the caliber to 10.5-10.6. The default setting for the large pistol plate is 11.5mm. So at 10.5mm you are gaining a full 1mm of tolerance. Just have to make sure its not so tight the bullets don't go in the hole at all.
    I’ll give that a try. Another thing that frustrates me is my printers must need a tune up. If I say print a hole at say 5mm it always comes out a little bit off. Say 5.2 mm etc. I know how to tune it but for some mental reason I don’t do it. Printer is never idle enough to do it. Hahahaha

I’ll give that a try. Another thing that frustrates me is my printers must need a tune up. If I say print a hole at say 5mm it always comes out a little bit off. Say 5.2 mm etc. I know how to tune it but for some mental reason I don’t do it. Printer is never idle enough to do it. Hahahaha
    It's kind of a pain, but what you could do is start the print and let it print a layer or two and then measure it with you calipers, or just put a bullet in there to see if its going to work.

It's kind of a pain, but what you could do is start the print and let it print a layer or two and then measure it with you calipers, or just put a bullet in there to see if its going to work.
    I'm all over that this time around

For anyone interested, here is a screen shot of what prusa slicer does when you use the variable layer height. Pretty slick for sure. I’ve used it for smaller items to test and it works pretty well. On this collator plate you can see the layer height changes towards the top of the print. I had it change layers towards the top where the bevels for the bullets are to make it cleaner. Most of the print is done at .2 layer height then it goes into super fine mode for where I choose. Cuts print times down quite a bit. This one says 9 hours as opposed to 11 in cura.

I can see this as a benefit for some of the things we print. I could see the collater bowl staring at fine then go to .2 for the walls. Anywho, just thinking out loud

I’ll report back when it’s done tonight or tomorrow morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A28101CF-4E15-4043-86DB-903F574E0B63.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	270678

Going on the printer next....

Name:	feeddies2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	270679

Going on the printer next....

Name:	feeddies2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	270679
    woooohooooo

are you going to do one in 223?

woooohooooo

are you going to do one in 223?
    Yes, plan for right now is .45, 9mm, .223, .308. The more I do the easier it should get.

Yes, plan for right now is .45, 9mm, .223, .308. The more I do the easier it should get.
    Most excellent

Question TylerR......

What settings (layer height, overlap, etc. ) are you using in Cura when you are printing threads like that....and is there a lot of cleanup?

Question TylerR......

What settings (layer height, overlap, etc. ) are you using in Cura when you are printing threads like that....and is there a lot of cleanup?
    Basically the default "Super Quality" setting, with the plate adhesion turned off. Absolutely no cleanup at all.

So IOW's secret settings? I couldn't even figure out how to print anything in Cura so I downloaded IdeaMaker. Sorta like Apple computer doesn't speak my language either.....and I sure as hell can't think like Apple OS engineers....are they even from this planet?

I tried to "add a printer" and all it allows is their brand......how do you get past that?
    Last edited by GWS; 11-03-2020 at 04:46 PM.

So IOW's secret settings?
    You lost me on this one Hope this helps:

Name:	settings.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	270680

I tried to "add a printer" and all it allows is their brand......how do you get past that?
    On my version you go to Preferences - Configure Cura - Printers. Hit the Add button, and in the drop down box you can select pretty much any printer out there.

The more I use Prusa slicer the more I like it. And no you don’t need a Prusa printer

I have version 4.6 and I couldn't get to any of that. So I downloaded the latest just now, and there it was.....except that I couldn't find a CR-10 V2, so I picked CR-10 pro?

Finally! I see how to do a few things.....

Heck, I'm so new at this that I didn't even know you could print less than .2 layer height! No wonder my threads and the funnel are so stupid rough.

And Prusa....I'll look at that too. Bet I can set mine that fine too.....just didn't know to do that. That ought to double printing time.....

So is Prusa the only one with variable layer heights for different parts of the print?

Boolit Bub

Name:	Screenshot_20201103-174406.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	270687
    Looking better. Printed it and it fits in the adapter perfectly. Will test the spring later tonight.

Page 103 of 361 FirstFirst ... 35393949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113153203 ... LastLast