Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    TylerR asked me if I'd mind printing that 30-06 insert and trying it out on my APP.

Neither he or I shoot 30-06 so I had to scramble to find some spent cases.....and I thought I succeeded. Only problem was they were .270. But there was ONE 30-06 in the pile. Saved by one.

So here's a picture of the "perfect" 30-06 insert, mounted on the APP. with the one case ready to test.

Here's a very short video (well, I do only have one) with a .270 following for the follow through......It works perfect....good to go!

BTW, you can't help but notice the mangled front pusher......

Well, before TylerR's quickchange invention the only way I could drop .223 and .308 straight was to grind the pusher shape back, so that I ground away the stupid bevel on top. That bevel made cases (especially the light .223) tilt before dropping and screwed everything up. That, plus a drop tube with a cut-out, made the cases drop straight and the following case stay put until its turn to drop.

The TylerR quickchange perfected that so much that I doubt grinding the pusher back is now necessary. Will order a new one to test that theory.

Remember if you do TylerR's quick change, to print his sliding shuttle sled base or you won't have the best outcome. It's the special base support in the center that improves that part over Lee's original. BTW Tyler, I did trim that center tongue back 1mm to make it work better for all the calibers....but your experience may vary.
    Last edited by GWS; 10-06-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    TylerR asked me if I'd mind printing that 30-06 insert and trying it out on my APP.

Neither he or I shoot 30-06 so I had to scramble to find some spent cases.....and I thought I succeeded. Only problem was they were .270. But there was ONE 30-06 in the pile. Saved by one.

So here's a picture of the "perfect" 30-06 insert, mounted on the APP. with the one case ready to test.

Here's a very short video (well, I do only have one) with a .270 following for the follow through......It works perfect....good to go!

BTW, you can't help but notice the mangled front pusher......

Well, before TylerR's quickchange invention the only way I could drop .223 and .308 straight was to grind the pusher shape back, so that I ground away the stupid bevel on top. That bevel made cases (especially the light .223) tilt before dropping and screwed everything up. that plus a drop tube with a cut-out made the cases drop straight and the following case stay put until its turn to drop.

The TylerR quickchange perfected that so much that I doubt grinding the pusher back is now necessary. Will order a new one to test that theory.

Remember if you do TylerR's quick change, to print his sliding shuttle sled base or you won't have the best outcome. It's the special support in the center that improves that part over Lee's original. BTW Tyler, I did trim that center tongue back 1mm to make it work better for all the calibers....but your experience may vary.
    Excellent! Thank you very much for testing out the 30-06.

Regarding your last sentence, I have noticed that myself, and I will make a modification to move it back some.
    As always, appreciate your insight man.

Cheers!

Boolit Buddy
    Can you post a vid of yours failing? That would help us troubleshoot it with you.
    I determined that my issue is the #1 shell holder. It appeared to have burrs/be slightly narrower at each end. If Input brass through it manually, about half would not want to go in without extra effort or rotation of the case. Once in, the would slide freely to the other side and then catch/bind again. Looking at a picture of it close up allowed be to see that it was narrower. I used a fine file and smoothed things out and after a few minutes about 90-95% of cases feed without issue. GECO cases are the main exception - seems the rim diameter on those is just a bit larger (and primer pockets are a bit smaller).

I did tryout the new 357 Brass Insert. Definitely an improvement!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Thought I should share some interesting info TylerR shared concerning the lack of a .45 Colt APP insert. Turns out there already is one......called the .44 Magnum insert. Here's why......

The inside diameter of the APP insert's barrel has to be determined by the .44 Mag RIM diameter, and that diameter is .1mm larger than the .45 Colts rim. (probably a way to keep some dummy from chambering a .44 Mag cartridge in a .45 Colt cylinder.....a very bad thing since 99% of .45 Colts can't handle the pressure) And both cases are the exact same Length!

Therefore the .44Mag APP insert is most likely a perfect match for the .45 Colt as well.

Boolit Master

Thought I should share some interesting info TylerR shared concerning the lack of a .45 Colt APP insert. Turns out there already is one......called the .44 Magnum insert. Here's why......

The inside diameter of the APP insert's barrel has to be determined by the .44 Mag RIM diameter, and that diameter is .1mm larger than the .45 Colts rim. (probably a way to keep some dummy from chambering a .44 Mag cartridge in a .45 Colt cylinder.....a very bad thing since 99% of .45 Colts can't handle the pressure) And both cases are the exact same Length!

Therefore the .44Mag APP insert is most likely a perfect match for the .45 Colt as well.
    Happy, happy, joy, joy for all of us .45 Colt shooters!
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Happy, happy, joy, joy for all of us .45 Colt shooters!
    Ed
    Howdy Ed!

On that note, I was thinking about 44/45 caliber boolits and sizing. With the latest design of the bracket and the thumb screw lock it has, the 45 insert works great for any grain boolit because you can raise the insert and lock it in to place. This was not possible in the original design. So no need for a 44mag/45colt specific boolit insert.

I know this is a Boolit forum....but I've never cast anything. The big question is whether I have enough good brain cells left to start still another hobby. Why am I here? Because it's the only 3d printer/reloading forum in the world!!! Come on......TylerR is here! But I'll follow along and give all the moral support to you guys I can.....

I know this is a Boolit forum....but I've never cast anything. The big question is whether I have enough good brain cells left to start still another hobby. Why am I here? Because it's the only 3d printer/reloading forum in the world!!! Come on......TylerR is here! But I'll follow along and give all the moral support to you guys I can.....
    Casting is a whole nother world. I would not bother these days, because raw lead is not much cheaper then commercial boolits. Back in the day when you could collect wheel weights from random gas stations, it was worth it. Lets just say I stocked up for pennies on the dollar.

I've remodeled and built new medical facilities, and have removed and installed walls of lead in X-ray rooms. Saying that's heavy stuff is an understatement. And those employees who had to deal with it were given the scraps and even whole panels that had to be removed. I'm sure they took it to a metal buying company and made a little on the side. They deserved it for the trouble. If I had hoarded all that for boolits, I'd have a 2 lifetime supply.

I still have a little, but not like I could have.....but it's pure lead, no hardeners in it. Too bad you don't live close, New Hamster is a long ways from New Mexico. Even have some plumbers lead left over from the early years.

Funny thing is I had entertained the idea of building a shot tower....naw....making shot sounds like work....
    Last edited by GWS; 10-06-2021 at 09:52 PM.

Ok why is it so hard to insert a Vimeo video that you can actually have any control over, like full screen or volume??????

No matter how I try to link it, it comes in as a tiny video that you can't do anything with?

GWS, you deleted all your posts, so I deleted mine because it looked like I was talking to myself.
    Last edited by TylerR; 10-08-2021 at 03:04 PM.

Well, we were way off thread topic.....and we weren't getting anywhere with the stupid Vimeo. They make me mad. They give you a hosting place for videos that's supposed to be free then they keep taking away features until we're left with nothing, and try to force you to Upgrade to paying them every month. That's why YouTube got my business back even with their stupid ads....on Vimeo you can't control your own videos anymore. I'm still willing to host that great APP video on my account with full credit going to where it belongs. What I have left on Vimeo I will move back to Youtube....liberal is better than zero control As long as they don't do the same thing and start removing features.

Boolit Mold
    What die set and drop tube do you guys use for .264, do you go with the 7mm ?

Boolit Buddy
    Well, we were way off thread topic.....and we weren't getting anywhere with the stupid Vimeo. They make me mad. They give you a hosting place for videos that's supposed to be free then they keep taking away features until we're left with nothing, and try to force you to Upgrade to paying them every month. That's why YouTube got my business back even with their stupid ads....on Vimeo you can't control your own videos anymore. I'm still willing to host that great APP video on my account with full credit going to where it belongs. What I have left on Vimeo I will move back to Youtube....liberal is better than zero control As long as they don't do the same thing and start removing features.
    What about Rumble? Only watched a couple things there, but it seems to be an alternative to YouTube that may be a little more open to firearms/shooting related topics.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Odyssey is popular with that as well. Supposed to be decenteralized

Ok….what I miss. Hahahaha. Guess I have some catching up to do. What happened to me! Life and health happened. I’m back not 100% but back. Think I left off on the clutch. Ok then, time to go back several pages and catch up. Hope everyone is well. Btw, master caster finally showed up after 12 months or so. Just got it up and running today. She sat for a bit while I got back on my feet.

Anywho, glad to be back

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Ok….what I miss. Hahahaha. Guess I have some catching up to do. What happened to me! Life and health happened. I’m back not 100% but back. Think I left off on the clutch. Ok then, time to go back several pages and catch up. Hope everyone is well. Btw, master caster finally showed up after 12 months or so. Just got it up and running today. She sat for a bit while I got back on my feet.

Anywho, glad to be back

Joe
    Welcome back man! Hope you and yours are doing well. Let me know if you need anything.
    Last edited by Red River Rick; 10-11-2021 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Language Censor

Holy Sh!t. Welcome back man! Hope you and yours are doing well. Let me know if you need anything.
    Hanging in there my friend. Things got tough and seem to be getting tougher but manageable. Look forward to getting back in the swing if things. Haven’t shot in months or even loaded. Hell, can’t remember the last time I’ve printed. New laptop and need to start over so that kind of sucks. It will come back.

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Hanging in there my friend. Things got tough and seem to be getting tougher but manageable. Look forward to getting back in the swing if things. Haven’t shot in months or even loaded. Hell, can’t remember the last time I’ve printed. New laptop and need to start over so that kind of sucks. It will come back.
    I am glad to hear things are on the upswing, and you have weathered whatever storm life threw your way. Just nice to see you back here and posting.

Okay, back on topic! ......I got a bunch more .357's deprimed using 2 36" 7/16" tubes loaded twice......I even tested what a wrench in the works would do (a single case dropped in upside-down.) So in the video below, on the second tube the one upside-down case flies across the room along with the previously deprimed case! That's all....I kept on depriming...only a half second hiccup. Best to not drop them in upside-down too often.....better yet, build another electric collator!

Below: So got a load for the Thumbler's Tumbler

Below: Tumbled and dried. Today is .357 loading day. (of course using my new printed bullet feed die.)

Last edited by GWS; 10-16-2021 at 06:43 PM.

Okay, back on topic! ......I got a bunch more .357's deprimed using 2 36" 7/16" tubes loaded twice......I even tested what a wrench in the works would do (a single case dropped in upside-down.) So in the video below, on the second tube the one upside-down case flies across the room along with the previously deprimed case! That's all....I kept on depriming...only a half second hiccup. Best to not drop them in upside-down too often.....better yet, build another electric collator!

Below: So got a load for the Thumbler's Tumbler

Below: Tumbled and dried. Today is .357 loading day. (of course using my new printed bullet feed die.)
    Those sure do look pretty.

Page 248 of 361 FirstFirst ... 148198238239240241242243244245246247248249250251252253254255256257258298348 ... LastLast