RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

I'll give it a shot, it seems simple enough. All that really matters to me is that the rounds fit.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    I'll give it a shot, it seems simple enough. All that really matters to me is that the rounds fit.

Re-done and posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Re-done and posted above.
    Thanks a ton. My laptop is still working on deleting the text it's supposed to be an i7 processor, but I bet what's the bottleneck is graphics processing.

Boolit Mold
    I have a favor to ask - Can a APP Brass Insert be made for 44 mag? I've got about 600 pieces I need to deprime and it's my motivation for completing a second collator that is dedicated to the APP since the first collator is dedicated as bullet feeder on a Dillon.

Quote Originally Posted by 31QjVP View Post
    I have a favor to ask - Can a APP Brass Insert be made for 44 mag? I've got about 600 pieces I need to deprime and it's my motivation for completing a second collator that is dedicated to the APP since the first collator is dedicated as bullet feeder on a Dillon.
    We have one of those.

https://github.com/BF556/Feeder/blob..._Insert_44.stl

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	custom collator generator.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	291906

Hey Guys. I am trying to make a version of this collator to work with fishing weights. They are bullet shaped, but smaller about the size of a 22 bullet. I tried to customize the collator using the generator, but looks like it came out closer to a 9mm size vs the 6mm I'm looking for.

Do you think this part is too small to work with the collator? If not, can I override sizes in the generator to make the collator holes smaller?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackflag View Post

Name:	custom collator generator.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	291906

Hey Guys. I am trying to make a version of this collator to work with fishing weights. They are bullet shaped, but smaller about the size of a 22 bullet. I tried to customize the collator using the generator, but looks like it came out closer to a 9mm size vs the 6mm I'm looking for.

Do you think this part is too small to work with the collator? If not, can I override sizes in the generator to make the collator holes smaller?
    I just did some testing with the parts generator. It looks like there is a bug in the plate generator where it does not register changes in the number fields unless the up or down arrows are used. So you could type in 6 for caliber, then hit the up/down arrow and it will register the change. Using the preview button should help make sure it looks ok. I just open the file in OpenScad, so I have never actually worked with it in the gui.

I think the collator can most likely do what you are looking for, but it is probably going to take some trial and error and testing.

Boolit Mold

Name:	collator332_v1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	291908

This is the collator I printed using the settings above, with some of the parts sitting beside it to show the size Im working with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GP-worm.PNG  

Boolit Mold
    Thanks man! Really appreciate the work you put into this project. I will try that now.

Thanks man! Really appreciate the work you put into this project. I will try that now.
    You bet! good luck.

Boolit Mold
    Looks like the generator worked correctly when I used the up/down for caliber. Thanks for that tip.

I have a question about the mechanics of the collator. Is the idea to find the "flare" on the bullet and make the collator opening that size so it doesn't fall out? Or you just matching the diameter so it will fall out and hit the slide/ramp? And for smaller parts like mine, would the slide height have to be increased to make a better transition to the ramp? I will know more once this finished printing, I'm just getting excited building my first one.

Name:	mics-332.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	291909

new collator plate using the previous 6mm settings.

Name:	collator-332-width.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	291910

Looks like the generator worked correctly when I used the up/down for caliber. Thanks for that tip.

I have a question about the mechanics of the collator. Is the idea to find the "flare" on the bullet and make the collator opening that size so it doesn't fall out? Or you just matching the diameter so it will fall out and hit the slide/ramp? And for smaller parts like mine, would the slide height have to be increased to make a better transition to the ramp? I will know more once this finished printing, I'm just getting excited building my first one.
    Not sure I am understanding your question exactly, but I believe the answer to the first one is "your just matching the diameter so it will fall out and hit the slide/ramp". Slide height should be fine.

Have you read the manual, and watched all of the videos? That might help if you have not already.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Not sure I am understanding your question exactly, but I believe the answer to the first one is "your just matching the diameter so it will fall out and hit the slide/ramp". Slide height should be fine.

Have you read the manual, and watched all of the videos? That might help if you have not already.
    Thanks man. Yes, I read the manual and watched the vids. Just havent got to test it hands on yet, so sure once I do it will be easier to tweak it.

Good luck with the Fishing Weight collator! Curious to know if it works for what you want....trying hard to even understand why you collate them.....always learning.....and speaking of learning...

Tyler, I finally got another Dayton Motor for the "just right" size collator. Got it from Grainger. So I learned something in the process. We have a Grainger outlet in my town, and on line, you can either order a part shipped or choose "will call". I had an account, so being the stupid motor is so expensive, and I'm so stupid cheap, I chose will call and that was easy peasy. You see if they ship it to their outlet......they.....pay shipping, and since either way, I have to pay sales tax, why not save the shipping. So if you happen to have a Grainger's near by keep that in mind.....accounts are free.

Boolit Mold
    perfect. Thank you! Forgot it was all in github and was looking at an out of date zip file.

(This was around the 44 brass for APP)
    Last edited by 31QjVP; 11-19-2021 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Good luck with the Fishing Weight collator! Curious to know if it works for what you want....trying hard to even understand why you collate them.....always learning.....and speaking of learning...

Tyler, I finally got another Dayton Motor for the "just right" size collator. Got it from Grainger. So I learned something in the process. We have a Grainger outlet in my town, and on line, you can either order a part shipped or choose "will call". I had an account, so being the stupid motor is so expensive, and I'm so stupid cheap, I chose will call and that was easy peasy. You see if they ship it to their outlet......they.....pay shipping, and since either way, I have to pay sales tax, why not save the shipping. So if you happen to have a Grainger's near by keep that in mind.....accounts are free.
    That's a good point. I am not sure if there is one in my area. I would guess.

Boolit Mold
    I totally missed the slide section in the manual. I found that and the spreadsheet this morning, so today I'm printing several slides for testing.

Boolit Bub
    Running the light sensor for cases and bullets. The bullet one just started failing to power the motor intermittently. Doesn’t seem to be wiring and I can hear the sensor board clicking. Curious if anyone else has had the issue. Should be easy enough to troubleshoot but figured I’d post to see others experience as I may not get to it for a few days. I have probably 4-5k through it, so shouldn’t be worn out yet. Using the mid price motor in the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by r4ndy View Post
    Running the light sensor for cases and bullets. The bullet one just started failing to power the motor intermittently. Doesn’t seem to be wiring and I can hear the sensor board clicking. Curious if anyone else has had the issue. Should be easy enough to troubleshoot but figured I’d post to see others experience as I may not get to it for a few days. I have probably 4-5k through it, so shouldn’t be worn out yet. Using the mid price motor in the instructions.
    I have not had that personally, but my uneducated guess would have to point to the light sensor board.

Boolit Bub
    Hi guys, looking for a little clarification on which springs correlate with the corresponding adapter. Not seeing springs in half milometer steps as shown in the manual. The link you provide is to springs with 1.0mm wire diameter, but there is also 1.2mm as an option. Looks like adapter size plus 2mm. Just not wanting to order the wrong ones. Thanks

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280...:%223339%22%7D

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...28844c4dYdm39m

Attachment 292104

Page 259 of 361 FirstFirst ... 159209249250251252253254255256257258259260261262263264265266267268269309359 ... LastLast