Reloading UKRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
ADvertise hereLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 229 of 235 FirstFirst ... 129179219220221222223224225226227228229230231232233234235 LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,580 of 4695

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

  1. #4561
    Boolit Master GWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    You engineering types are so damn smart, I'm just in awe. I just wish I could contribute something actually useful to the project... I hate just mooching off of the generosity and intelligence of others.
    You need to set your sights a little higher, I'm just a building designer who dabbles in this 3D printing stuff because the commercial bullet feeders are priced 3 times what they are worth to me. Smart?....more like cheap and desperate. .........and fading to retirement on my own terms. I wouldn't worry about mooching......change that attitude to learning....we are all doing that! That's why AmmoMike and TylerR started this craziness....that and it's fun to see if we can....

    You want to contribute? Just print stuff here and input your experiences.....just like the rest of us.....and I'll mooch off your appreciated abbreviated cliffnotes! I just designed a 9mm version today.....It will evolve so keep watching the thread. Files will be downloadable....
    Last edited by GWS; 06-18-2021 at 07:00 PM.

  2. #4562
    Boolit Buddy Phlier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    492
    Thanks for that, GWS!

    I'll see if I can borrow the printer long enough from my son to print it out! He keeps the darn thing printing non-stop 24/7. I think his current print is due to finish printing in two more days. I'm hoping he'll let me print your files after his finishes up.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

  3. #4563
    Boolit Master GWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    581
    The plate should print in 5 1/2 hours.....the baffle 6 1/2 hours. Hope the plate works for you.....you do have a hex spindle?

    This is what the upgraded baffle looks like.....tall in the back to allow more bullets....



    Someday, I'll make a clutched version........I use my AmmoMike little base for the Lee APP. I use Tyler's bigger (not biggest ) base for rifle cases and bullets on the Pro Chucker 7.

    Dang-it, I may have to start buying into the casting hobby, now......Obama/Bin Biden has me nervous. Will component supply and decent prices come back at all? We all may be doing Boolits soon.....if even that survives...... (the boolits in the picture were purchased years ago not made by me....wish they were)
    Last edited by GWS; 06-07-2021 at 11:31 PM.

  4. #4564
    Iím confused about how to open the parts generator. I click the jar file and it asks what to open it with. I tried opening it with openscad but nothing opens up. I have installed JRE. Any help would be appreciated.

  5. #4565
    Boolit Buddy Phlier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    The plate should print in 5 1/2 hours.....the baffle 6 1/2 hours. Hope the plate works for you.....you do have a hex spindle?

    This is what the upgraded baffle looks like.....tall in the back to allow more bullets....



    Someday, I'll make a clutched version........I use my AmmoMike little base for the Lee APP. I use Tyler's bigger (not biggest ) base for rifle cases and bullets on the Pro Chucker 7.

    Dang-it, I may have to start buying into the casting hobby, now......Obama/Bin Biden has me nervous. Will component supply and decent prices come back at all? We all may be doing Boolits soon.....if even that survives...... (the boolits in the picture were purchased years ago not made by me....wish they were)
    Casting is such a fun hobby, GWS! My Dad got me started casting boolits in the summer of 1977 when I was 10 years old. Been casting ever since. Until around six years ago, I only cast for .38 Special, .357 Mag and .44 Mag, but now I'm casting for 9mm (and the popular 9mm variants... .380 Auto and 9mm Makarov) since I have three guys depending on me for copious amounts of 9mm ammo. I have a pile of 5,000 9mm boolits I need to size today. Man, I wish I was setup to do .45 ACP... I'd cast you a big heap of boolits for your contributions here. Need any 9mm, 380 Auto, 9mm Makarov, .38 Special/.357 Mag or .44 Mag boolits? Say the word, and you'll get however many you need.

    The shortage has hit casters, too. Nearly all molds are sold out everywhere.

    I bought an Ammo Mike collator from a forum member here a couple years back, so it doesn't have a hex drive. I also ordered another AM style collator from a guy last Friday. Won't be getting that one for a few more days. I'll also be printing up at least two TylerR, et al. collators, too. And yes, all of them will be put to work... hate having to constantly move the one collator I have from press to press, as well as switching calibers, or switching from boolit to case collating. So each will have a permanent home with one specific duty.

    I'm hoping to start printing my first one this week, if my son will let me have some time on his printer. I can't wait to try out your nose down 9mm plate! Thank you so much for that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo2882 View Post
    I’m confused about how to open the parts generator. I click the jar file and it asks what to open it with. I tried opening it with openscad but nothing opens up. I have installed JRE. Any help would be appreciated.
    A JAR file is similar to a ZIP file. It stands for Java ARchive, and is a way to bundle a bunch of java files into one archive. So you'll need to "unzip" the JAR file like you do a Zip file in order to access the files in it. You'll need a program like "7-Zip" or the like to unpack the JAR.

    After you unpack the JAR, read the Manual for instructions on using the Parts Generator.

    Hmmm... Think this subject might make it into my Cliff Notes.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

  6. #4566
    Boolit Master GWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    581
    Pflier, will add files for slot centers.
    Last edited by GWS; 06-13-2021 at 07:41 PM.

  7. #4567
    Boolit Buddy Phlier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    492
    Thank you, GWS!!
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

  8. #4568
    Boolit Master GWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    Thank you, GWS!!
    "Thanks" I'm afraid is premature. The print file says test.....and most tests, unless you are flat lucky, require more tests before even considering prime time. This is no exception. I went ahead and printed out the 9mm file.....just finished an hour ago....set it up on the small collator and guess what? No joy. I think the holes are too wide and maybe too long. Would have worked I think if the walls of the base were tighter to the plate, so I've got to make the holes a little narrower and maybe a little shorter. So don't waste any PLA quite yet. It's pretty.....does that count? Back to the drawing board. Hope to print another try tomorrow.....think I'm going to have some time to tweak the shape tonight on Autocad.

    BTW the closest thing I have to 9mm boolits is some Berry's plated...not boolits but..... I should ask around and see if any of my friends have some to test with.

  9. #4569
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    50
    hey bud have been using the case #10 for 9mm but have a friend wants me to load some 45apc anychance you have a model for the bigger case?

    thanks in advance

  10. #4570
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by SoggyCashew View Post
    I do have one for the Light and Switch.... I started out with the light and went to a switch. Attached is the .stl #10 tubes

    FYI that on the shoot is a bullet counter that actually counts each "Finished" cartridge as it goes through the counter and not the motion of the handle. I made a short video of it working...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7sgvrZ78o
    hey bud have been using the case #10 for 9mm but have a friend wants me to load some 45apc anychance you have a model for the bigger case?

    thanks in advance

  11. #4571
    Boolit Buddy Phlier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    "Thanks" I'm afraid is premature. The print file says test.....and most tests, unless you are flat lucky, require more tests before even considering prime time. This is no exception. I went ahead and printed out the 9mm file.....just finished an hour ago....set it up on the small collator and guess what? No joy. I think the holes are too wide and maybe too long. Would have worked I think if the walls of the base were tighter to the plate, so I've got to make the holes a little narrower and maybe a little shorter. So don't waste any PLA quite yet. It's pretty.....does that count? Back to the drawing board. Hope to print another try tomorrow.....think I'm going to have some time to tweak the shape tonight on Autocad.

    BTW the closest thing I have to 9mm boolits is some Berry's plated...not boolits but..... I should ask around and see if any of my friends have some to test with.
    I'd be more than happy to send ya as many 9mm's as you'd like! Just holler!
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

  12. #4572
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    50
    just tried to download the latest manual from Tyler's post is there something up just takes me to no access page?

  13. #4573
    Boolit Master TylerR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by greekman View Post
    just tried to download the latest manual from Tyler's post is there something up just takes me to no access page?
    Files are down right now because people can't seem to control their comments in open forums.

  14. #4574
    Boolit Master GWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    581

    9MM Collated Base Down and No Bullet Flipping Ramp Necessary

    Phlier, 3rd try with the 9 mm design was the charm. Holes were too long. Berry's plated works.....most likely the cast boolits will too. The only negative is the last bullet seems to have a hard time going in by itself (bullet's heavy base too often wants to go first....but that's minor....

    I added a clear styrene piece at the front to keep the kicker from knocking them over. One could add a ridge to the slider too, but the clear piece worked great.
    I use wing nuts to tighten the baffle too, but for this video I'd just bore you with screwing on 3 more wing nuts.....

    Yes the ramp is more efficient....but except for that last bullet not by much. The baffle keeps base down from ever happening when wing nuts are used to secure it against the plate verticals.

    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GWS; 06-18-2021 at 07:03 PM.

  15. #4575
    Boolit Buddy Phlier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Files are down right now because people can't seem to control their comments in open forums.
    Oh no.... did I do/say something wrong???

    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Phlier, 3rd try with the 9 mm design was the charm. Holes were too long. Berry's plated works.....most likely the cast boolits will too. The only negative is the last bullet seems to have a hard time going in by itself (bullet's heavy base too often wants to go first....but that's minor....

    I added a clear styrene piece at the front to keep the kicker from knocking them over. One could add a ridge to the slider too, but the clear piece worked great.
    I use wing nuts to tighten the baffle too, but for this video I'd just bore you with screwing on 3 more wing nuts.....

    Yes the ramp is more efficient....but except for that last bullet not by much. The baffle keeps base down from ever happening when wing nuts are used to secure it against the plate verticals.

    Thank you, again!

    I just got a Voxelab Aquila printer yesterday, which I'm working on getting setup today, so I should be able to get printing without having to depend on my son's printer soon!

    I really appreciate your help with this, GWS!
    Last edited by Phlier; 06-11-2021 at 03:09 PM. Reason: typo
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

  16. #4576
    Boolit Master TylerR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    Oh no.... did I do/say something wrong???
    No not on here.

  17. #4577
    Boolit Buddy



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Picayune, MS
    Posts
    102
    Tyler,

    Long time no talk. Been away for a bit, work has been crazy. Just wanted to thank you for all the work you have done on this project. I now building my second collator. I did notice that the drop tubes and adapters have a small problem. Seems to be a gap on the 6mm and 7mm tubes and on the 14mm adapter.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14mm DT Capture.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	284364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6mm Drop Tube Capture.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	284363

  18. #4578
    Boolit Master GWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    I just got a Voxelab Aquila printer yesterday, which I'm working on getting setup today, so I should be able to get printing without having to depend on my son's printer soon!

    I really appreciate your help with this, GWS!
    Wait! While it worked I just realized I reversed the holes from what I did on the .45's! Nuts! I was wondering why they were all unstable rotating! In a minute I will reverse the holes and I'm positive it will improve it a lot! Sorry.....egg drying on my face.... Posted the new files below!!! will correct the other previous posts.

    May not even need the clear plastic now.....

    Better ME printing it four times than you.....
    Last edited by GWS; 06-18-2021 at 07:04 PM.

  19. #4579
    Boolit Master TylerR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by j_dude77 View Post
    Tyler,

    Long time no talk. Been away for a bit, work has been crazy. Just wanted to thank you for all the work you have done on this project. I now building my second collator. I did notice that the drop tubes and adapters have a small problem. Seems to be a gap on the 6mm and 7mm tubes and on the 14mm adapter.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14mm DT Capture.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	284364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6mm Drop Tube Capture.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	284363

    Hey jdude. I went back and looked at the 3 parts. The minimum distance on the two drop tubes is above .4mm, so your slicer should not show a gap there unless you are using a larger nozzle. You were right about the #14 adapter though. The recessed "4" was less then .4mm. I fixed that and reposted.

  20. #4580
    Boolit Master GWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Hey jdude. I went back and looked at the 3 parts. The minimum distance on the two drop tubes is above .4mm, so your slicer should not show a gap there unless you are using a larger nozzle. You were right about the #14 adapter though. The recessed "4" was less then .4mm. I fixed that and reposted.
    Never ends does it?

Page 229 of 235 FirstFirst ... 129179219220221222223224225226227228229230231232233234235 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check