ADvertise hereTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading UKInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 243 of 244 FirstFirst ... 143193233234235236237238239240241242243244 LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,860 of 4878

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Thanks GWS.
    Lets not forget the slip clutch, feeding of very long bullets, bulge busting case feeding, all of the bullet feeder dies. Oh and the collator mounted proximity sensor drop tube. Oh wait, that was your idea!

Did we mention the awesome user manual or the parts generator? Thanks 0416!
    Right back at you big guy

Did we mention the awesome user manual or the parts generator? Thanks 0416!
    That's something that I was trying to accomplish.....but I failed.....then a smarter guy showed up, and bingo.......the glue that holds this whole project together! I personally think that if RCBS could hire 0416 to organize them and write their manuals, they'd blow everybody else away.....

Addition: I thought about that last night, and decided they might need TylerR's design skills too.....a super team...
    Last edited by GWS; 09-13-2021 at 05:59 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    That's something that I was trying to accomplish.....but I failed.....then a smarter guy showed up, and bingo.......the glue that holds this whole project together! I personally think that if RCBS could hire 0416 to organize them and write their manuals, they'd blow everybody else away.....

Addition: I thought about that last night, and decided they might need TylerR's design skills too.....a super team...
    I would 100% agree with that statement, I have never seen a manual written so in depth like 0416 did.

Boolit Grand Master

Good news!!!

One of the "Collator Gang" has taken pity on me, and is sending a bullet drop die to evaluate with lubed bullets. I have been using commercial cast bullets with "hard" lube and will see how this works out and report back. My fall back is to put a coat of BLL on the bullets if lube build up causes problems. BLL dries to a slicker coat. I have enough Johnson One-Step to make enough BLL to last about 25 years...LOL.

Actually, I am OK with having to clean the bullet die every 2000 rounds or so if it works. I rarely load more than 2000 rounds at a time so not a big deal.

Would mineral spirits be safe to clean the part? I am thinking of immersing it in a vibratory cleaner to clean it.

I have read that PLA filament is bio-degradable. That does not give a warm fuzzy feeling.
    Don Verna

NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Mold
    Really depends on what material it was printed in. For instance, acetone will dissolve ABS but to PETG it wont. PLA reacts to acetone too. I would imagine most solvents would be a bad idea though but thats just me being lazy. Id print the die again if i had to clean it.

PLA is biodegradeable but its like 50 years or so. This stuffs not meant to last forever though, and that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Good news!!!

One of the "Collator Gang" has taken pity on me, and is sending a bullet drop die to evaluate with lubed bullets. I have been using commercial cast bullets with "hard" lube and will see how this works out and report back. My fall back is to put a coat of BLL on the bullets if lube build up causes problems. BLL dries to a slicker coat. I have enough Johnson One-Step to make enough BLL to last about 25 years...LOL.

Actually, I am OK with having to clean the bullet die every 2000 rounds or so if it works. I rarely load more than 2000 rounds at a time so not a big deal.

Would mineral spirits be safe to clean the part? I am thinking of immersing it in a vibratory cleaner to clean it.

I have read that PLA filament is bio-degradable. That does not give a warm fuzzy feeling.
    Most plastics are not going to handle solvents very well. PLA pro is plenty strong in general, and as stated above is going to give plenty of service life. As far as cleaning lube out, I would just hit it with a brass or plastic cleaning brush if it were me. Even a bit of sandpaper or a round file would work. It should be in your hands soon so you can experiment and let us know.

Edited to add: If it is truly the "hard" type lube, I don't see it building up too much. But I could be wrong.

Boolit Buddy

I just got turned on to this thread last night and have already started downloading/printing files. This is AWESOME!

I have a question about the collator plates though. When I go to download any of them, I get data like this...
    solid OpenSCAD_Model
    facet normal -0.999506 -0.031438 0
    outer loop
    vertex 15.9763 0.753486 -7.1
    vertex 15.9684 1.00465 -2.5
    vertex 15.9684 1.00465 -7.1
    endloop
    endfacet
    facet normal -0.999506 -0.0314383 -0
    outer loop
    vertex 16 0 -2.5
    vertex 16 0 -7.1

What am I doing wrong?
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust."
    - James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by mktacop View Post
    I just got turned on to this thread last night and have already started downloading/printing files. This is AWESOME!

I have a question about the collator plates though. When I go to download any of them, I get data like this...
    solid OpenSCAD_Model
    facet normal -0.999506 -0.031438 0
    outer loop
    vertex 15.9684 1.00465 -2.5
    vertex 15.9684 1.00465 -7.1
    endloop
    endfacet
    facet normal -0.999506 -0.0314383 -0
    outer loop
    vertex 16 0 -2.5
    vertex 16 0 -7.1

What am I doing wrong?
    It looks like Github is treating the .stl file differently because it was generated via OpenScad. Not sure why. My recommendation would be to download the entire package as a zip file from the main page under the green "Code" button.

Boolit Buddy

Copy all. Thank you!
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust."
    - James Madison

Boolit Buddy

New question...

I'm using Simplify3D as my slicer, and I'm using the recommended print settings from the Manual. When I slice the Feed_Die_45_Body.stl there is a section approximately 3/4 of the way up that I'm assuming is where the ball bearings will ride once complete. That section is so thin that all that shows in Simplify when I slice it are the threads. There is no wall behind it. When I tried printing it, that is how it printed as well. What can I do so that there is a wall there to support the threads? Does the actual file need to have the wall thickened, or is it a slicer/printer issue? It printed beautifully up to that point, and I initially thought my nozzle had become clogged, but when I started a new print, it is printing beautifully as well.
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

New question...

I'm using Simplify3D as my slicer, and I'm using the recommended print settings from the Manual. When I slice the Feed_Die_45_Body.stl there is a section approximately 3/4 of the way up that I'm assuming is where the ball bearings will ride once complete. That section is so thin that all that shows in Simplify when I slice it are the threads. There is no wall behind it. When I tried printing it, that is how it printed as well. What can I do so that there is a wall there to support the threads? Does the actual file need to have the wall thickened, or is it a slicer/printer issue? It printed beautifully up to that point, and I initially thought my nozzle had become clogged, but when I started a new print, it is printing beautifully as well.
    It is a slicer/printer issue. The design itself can not be changed. That wall was exactly why I went from 4mm bb's to 3.5mm bb's. What size nozzle are you using? If it is larger then .4mm that is the issue.

Boolit Buddy

I'm using a .4 nozzle. I just downloaded Cura and am trying to copy my print settings over to it from Simplify. The preview in Cura looks better than in Simplify, so hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks for your help!
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

I'm using a .4 nozzle. I just downloaded Cura and am trying to copy my print settings over to it from Simplify. The preview in Cura looks better than in Simplify, so hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks for your help!
    For the record, you are not the only one who has had this problem with other slicers. I have never had an issue with Cura.

Boolit Buddy

I checked and there was a newer version of Simplify than what I was using available. I've downloaded/installed it and when I checked the preview of the print, it shows the section in question to be solid now. I've started the print using the new Simplify, so I'll know for sure if it worked correctly in a couple of hours.
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

For the record, you are not the only one who has had this problem with other slicers. I have never had an issue with Cura.
    I've only used the "IdeaMaker" slicer and have never had a problem printing any of the files in the project so far...on the contrary, everything's been perfect. However I haven't printed a 3d Feed die yet. Since I have the bearings, I'll download and print this "Feed_Die_45_Body.stl". That way we will see if it's limited to only the Cura slicer. I've only used .4 nozzles.

TylerR, what settings are important on this part?
    Last edited by GWS; 09-15-2021 at 10:56 PM.

I've only used the "IdeaMaker" slicer and have never had a problem printing any of the files in the project so far...on the contrary, everything's been perfect. However I haven't printed a 3d Feed die yet. Since I have the bearings, I'll download and print this "Feed_Die_45_Body.stl". That way we will see if it's limited to only the Cura slicer. I've only used .4 nozzles.

TylerR, what settings are important on this part?
    The issue is not with Cura, it is other slicers. As mktacop said, as soon as he upgraded Simplify (which does not seem so simple in this case) it started working. The only important thing is to use a setting that will give good resolution, but that is really because of the threads. That is why we recommend .12 layer height.

The wall in question is very thin, because it needs to be, but it is greater then .4mm, so it should never be completely missing when sliced or printed. You cannot make the overall diameter of the die any bigger. It has to fit in the press like any other 7/8" die. Like I said, I had to go to a 3.5mm bb just to get the proper clearance. This issue only crops up with the .45 caliber dies.

I wasn't saying the issue was Cura......I just want to know if my fav. IdeaMaker has an issue like others. Only way to find out is print one. I planned on .12 layer height.....I print at that more and any other layer height. What about # of walls......? or thin-wall settings? Just want to test apples to apples.

I sliced the .45 set.....Assuming it's Ok to print both parts together? says it will take 5hr. 20 minutes. Be more like 6 hours at that layer height.....IdeaMaker time estimates are only close with more layer height (.2).

This will be my first attempt with your feeder designs....looking forward to more fun....
    Last edited by GWS; 09-15-2021 at 11:46 PM.

I wasn't saying the issue was Cura......I just want to know if my fav. IdeaMaker has an issue like others. Only way to find out is print one. I planned on .12 layer height.....I print at that more and any other layer height. What about # of walls......? or thin-wall settings? Just want to test apples to apples.

I sliced the .45 set.....Assuming it's Ok to print both parts together? says it will take 5hr. 20 minutes. Be more like 6 hours at that layer height.....IdeaMaker time estimates are only close with more layer height (.2).

This will be my first attempt with your feeder designs....looking forward to more fun....
    My bad my friend, I misunderstood what you meant. Yes you can print the set together. I usually just do 2 walls, 20% infill. I have never used a thin-wall setting so I can't speak to that.

I thought so. But that's ok. If I do have trouble with it, I may have to change slicers.....ugh.....I tried Cura once, but I had a hard time with the settings.....just didn't feel easy to use for me, iow's setup organization was hard for me to understand....where IdeaMaker just made more sense......simply a chemistry problem. I may end up having to give it another chance....we will soon see.

Boolit Buddy

After upgrading Simplify (just had to download and install the latest version), I was able to slice/print the 45 feed die with no issues.

Admittedly, I was several versions behind with Simplify as I was using 3.1.1 and upgraded to 4.1.2. I donít know how many versions there were in between where I was, and where I am now.

FWIW, the Overture blue PLA+ is a very close match to Dillon blue for anyone with a Dillon press that is trying to match the color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

Page 243 of 244 FirstFirst ... 143193233234235236237238239240241242243244 LastLast