MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Don't bother....for you younger guys, it'd just hurt your good eyes..... However.......this last one is your favorite brand.....Overture.......
    I have switched to Polymaker for everything except the digital (dillon) blue. Overture had a spell where all the rolls were wound tangled. They may have that fixed now.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    I have switched to Polymaker for everything except the digital (dillon) blue. Overture had a spell where all the rolls were wound tangled. They may have that fixed now.
    Hmmm, I did have one roll of black PLA pro come that way......I unrolled about 50 feet and carefully rolled it back....not really a pleasant experience, mostly because the feed jammed and I had to start over. At least it was caught on a small print. I do like the tuffness of the Pro, Plus, or whatever Overture wants to call it this year.

Have not had a bad wind from Zyltec yet.....but I've only used Silks, Lipstick red (Lee match) and gunmetal grey from them. I've never tried to match RCBS green, tho RedlegEd did, and sent me a yard of it......but it's closer to the old green not the current....

My latest silk roll is from MatterHackers.com called MH BUILD "Red Silky". Finally a true red like Zyltec's lipstick red comes in Silk. The Overture silk red I just printed is a little bluer....sorta more on the rose side....think you can see that in the picture above. I haven't printed a bullet feeder die with the MH stuff yet.
    Last edited by GWS; 11-04-2023 at 03:01 PM.

There is only one slide plate for brass.
    https://github.com/BF556/Feeder/blob...lide_Plate.stl
    That's true, but I did modify it into a one piece slide with a fully open drop hole for me....which I found works perfect for the pistol brass I reload....9mm, .40, .357, and .45. So....I don't have to worry about adjusting the drop hole....it stays fully open only.

Pistol_Brass_Slide_Plate-solid.zip

Last edited by GWS; 11-04-2023 at 12:49 AM.

My brain is about done I guess.....all these posts about "satin" filaments! ......SILK! not satin......don't know where my memory has gone.....anyone seen it hanging around looking lost? Eyes aren't the only thing that gets old.....

And this month I have been given a knew challenge......neuropathy in my feet....and I haven't heard about any good outcomes with that....so if numb feet that won't get better is all I get for my 74th birthday.....means I'm not especially looking forward to more. You young guys enjoy it while you can. Youth is not something you ought to take for granted.....even 40 or 50 year-old youngsters.

That's true, but I did modify it into a one piece slide with a fully open drop hole for me....which I found works perfect for the pistol brass I reload....9mm, .40, .357, and .45. So....I don't have to worry about adjusting the drop hole....it stays fully open only.
    I agree and I filled in the bump before the drop hole as not needed for pistol brass also.

GD
    #2 member of the 10%ers

Boolit Buddy
    My brain is about done I guess.....all these posts about "satin" filaments! ......SILK! not satin......don't know where my memory has gone.....anyone seen it hanging around looking lost? Eyes aren't the only thing that gets old.....

And this month I have been given a knew challenge......neuropathy in my feet....and I haven't heard about any good outcomes with that....so if numb feet that won't get better is all I get for my 74th birthday.....means I'm not especially looking forward to more. You young guys enjoy it while you can. Youth is not something you ought to take for granted.....even 40 or 50 year-old youngsters.
    I knew what ya meant. I haven't messed with silk much, though I do have some. I hear the prints aren't as strong as normal PLA but who knows. Been looking for printing motivation lately. Probably will print the feeding does for the cartridges that I seat and crimp in the same station. Would be sweet to move that to station 4 with a feed die in 3 on my 550b.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MSUICEMAN View Post
    I knew what ya meant. I haven't messed with silk much, though I do have some. I hear the prints aren't as strong as normal PLA but who knows. Been looking for printing motivation lately. Probably will print the feeding does for the cartridges that I seat and crimp in the same station. Would be sweet to move that to station 4 with a feed die in 3 on my 550b.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    So have you printed bullet feed dies yet? If not I have some suggestions if they come out like mine. I mean they print beautitful, but my Creality CR10 V2 still makes more stringing than I like for some things....one being small vertical ball bearing holes like you print for bullet feed dies. I found that an exacto knife is needed on mine to start the hole cleanup, then I use numbered drill bits 26 and 30 to finish the holes. The #30 to go horizontally clear through the die insert, then a #26 to just open the larger outside round, angle reamed just a tad toward but not through the smaller diameter inner wall. That allows the ball bearing to go in the holes only to flush with the outside....and hold the bullets inside until they reach the designed recess that allows the bearings to release and drop the bullets.

Then the final insurance ...... run a drill bit at or just under the caliber diameter up and down through the center of the die a few times, to clean anything that might slow down the bullets dropping.

Notice I never mentioned a drill......use your hands to twist them, or you will over do and ruin it.
    Last edited by GWS; 11-05-2023 at 05:21 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Dear Team !

Correctly understood that for optimal brass feeding the collator main body should be angled so that the brass hole adapter have a zero vertical angle ?

Best Regards
    ///Roger

Quote Originally Posted by rogerandre View Post
    Dear Team !

Correctly understood that for optimal brass feeding the collator main body should be angled so that the brass hole adapter have a zero vertical angle ?

Best Regards
    ///Roger
    For pistol, I have found it depends on the case, some need more tilt, positive from vertical of brass hole adapter, and some will run with less tilt than vertical. Once determined how much tilt of the collator is needed I just add it to my set up list.

That said, I do not run any cases with brass hole adapter less than vertical but some with more tilt. I have seen some other collators tilted very steeply.

Easy cases like 9mm can run well with brass hole adapter vertical tilt. 30 Carbine I run with about 10 degrees more tilt to get cases to slide down the collator plate and not bunch up around the cases in the hole ready to drop. More tilt does not hurt anything from what I have found running six different pistol cases. I do not run rifle cases in collator.

It is trial and error, what works is optimal. I ran about 1,000 cases of each size just dropping into a bucket to get best angle of tilt and speed of collator plate set to give best results.

GD
    #2 member of the 10%ers

Boolit Mold

Pistol_Brass_Slide_Plate-solid.zip

Agreed GWS. Youth is wasted on the young. When I was young I had no money and now im old and cant do the things I have the money to do.

Boolit Mold
    Yes, the hex should be fully seated on the motor shaft.
    Tyler, any thoughts on a brass sorter? something that can sort .380, 9, 40, .45 would be ideal.

Boolit Mold
    Gents, first time poster, but began this journey over the summer...I got into 3d printing because of AM's feeder and had built one way back when...worked ok but mostly shot cast so I just kinda let it sit off to the side...then I ran across this feed over the summer and all I can say is WOW! I decided to start "over" with this project but was luckly to be able to reuse a lot of the parts from my first build. It got me so excited it "made" me purchase another 3d printer! Had an original ender 3 and now have the ender5s1...wow cut my print times in half and made me learn Klipper which is amazing! Anyway...

My main goals were bullet sizing and bulge busting on the APP and bullet feeding on the 650...I am so pleased with the improvements and have been going gang busters since I got it finished. It was a little time-consuming reading through every post and taking notes on the important stuff but it was a time passer during boring Zoom meetings!

My question is on the APP parts...first is if I recall Tyler that is your design but there are no editable files available correct like the collator? I have successfully ran 100's each of 9mm, .38, 45acp, 45 colt and 30-06 rounds both sizing through the APP and loading with the Dillon, and now that this has made that process so much faster and easier I want to expand to my rifle bullets to 45-70 for nose down sizing...issue I have and fully admit may have missed it in the git...is nothing for a slider or insert for the 45-70.
    the APP_DROP_TUBE
    The second question is using the lee tubes from the universal kit, using the medium tubes for 9mm, 38, and 30-06, I was able to make something work using APP_DROP_TUBE_#2 adaptor on the top to Drop Tube and using the APP_Drop_Tube_APP_Insert_Medium to connect to the Bullet insert...not sure if that was the plan or if I am missing something there as well...it works just doesnt look right since the tube is going inside of the APP_Insert_Medium. Not sure if that's clear as mud!

But great job with this overall and have seen a lot of new people to 3d Printing which is great and know it has been said many times but the most important advice is spend the time doing TT's calibration if using Marlin, or follow the Klipper guide if using klipper...it makes a world of difference when your parts go together without having to sand and fit!

Quote Originally Posted by MTRedeye View Post
    Gents, first time poster, but began this journey over the summer...I got into 3d printing because of AM's feeder and had built one way back when...worked ok but mostly shot cast so I just kinda let it sit off to the side...then I ran across this feed over the summer and all I can say is WOW! I decided to start "over" with this project but was luckly to be able to reuse a lot of the parts from my first build. It got me so excited it "made" me purchase another 3d printer! Had an original ender 3 and now have the ender5s1...wow cut my print times in half and made me learn Klipper which is amazing! Anyway...

My main goals were bullet sizing and bulge busting on the APP and bullet feeding on the 650...I am so pleased with the improvements and have been going gang busters since I got it finished. It was a little time-consuming reading through every post and taking notes on the important stuff but it was a time passer during boring Zoom meetings!

My question is on the APP parts...first is if I recall Tyler that is your design but there are no editable files available correct like the collator? I have successfully ran 100's each of 9mm, .38, 45acp, 45 colt and 30-06 rounds both sizing through the APP and loading with the Dillon, and now that this has made that process so much faster and easier I want to expand to my rifle bullets to 45-70 for nose down sizing...issue I have and fully admit may have missed it in the git...is nothing for a slider or insert for the 45-70.
    the APP_DROP_TUBE
    The second question is using the lee tubes from the universal kit, using the medium tubes for 9mm, 38, and 30-06, I was able to make something work using APP_DROP_TUBE_#2 adaptor on the top to Drop Tube and using the APP_Drop_Tube_APP_Insert_Medium to connect to the Bullet insert...not sure if that was the plan or if I am missing something there as well...it works just doesnt look right since the tube is going inside of the APP_Insert_Medium. Not sure if that's clear as mud!

But great job with this overall and have seen a lot of new people to 3d Printing which is great and know it has been said many times but the most important advice is spend the time doing TT's calibration if using Marlin, or follow the Klipper guide if using klipper...it makes a world of difference when your parts go together without having to sand and fit!
    I can create a 45/70 bullet slide for you. I would modify the 45 slide. What height do you want it at?

Yes, what you described sounds correct to me.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Tyler...I don't know what I am doing wrong but when I open the Parts Generator under the tab Project Location, I get the message "The project folder was not found. Place the .jar file in the project folder or press the Change button to select the project location"

Do you or anyone else know what I am doing wrong?

Cheers
    DekM

Quote Originally Posted by DekM View Post
    Thanks Tyler...I don't know what I am doing wrong but when I open the Parts Generator under the tab Project Location, I get the message "The project folder was not found. Place the .jar file in the project folder or press the Change button to select the project location"

Do you or anyone else know what I am doing wrong?

Cheers
    DekM
    Is the jar sitting in the same folder as all the other project files, or was it moved? Also, did you extract all the files from the zip file, or are you opening up the zip file directly in windows explorer?

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the reply,TylerR.

I'll check and have another go on the weekend, busy week this one.

Cheers,
    DekM

Boolit Mold
    I can create a 45/70 bullet slide for you. I would modify the 45 slide. What height do you want it at?

Yes, what you described sounds correct to me.
    Tyler, I appreciate it, I ended up creating one similar to yours, I load a couple of different length bullets depending on the type of shoot, same thing with the 30-06 which the 308 slide ended up being too short for those bullets. I also decided to eliminate the hook and just use a M3 nut and bolt with a through hole...the only way I can successfully print those hooks is on my slower Ender 3, the Ender5S1 is so fast it ends up breaking it off half way through the print. I also size 7 different calibers so they are getting changed a lot and was concerned the ones I did print will end up breaking off when I am in rush for a match (murphy's law!)...happy to share, don't want to take away from anything you have done.

Boolit Mold
    Is there a BND slide plate that will work with a H&G 130 cast bullet with out having to do a lot of modifying to another plate? I have been trying to make this work for 3 or 4 days to get the bullets to feed into my Star Sizer. I think that the problem is that the bullet is so short. I'm getting really frustrated. The feeder itself will feed nose up perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Caster3845 View Post
    Is there a BND slide plate that will work with a H&G 130 cast bullet with out having to do a lot of modifying to another plate? I have been trying to make this work for 3 or 4 days to get the bullets to feed into my Star Sizer. I think that the problem is that the bullet is so short. I'm getting really frustrated. The feeder itself will feed nose up perfectly.
    If you post a video of the problem I will try to help you.

Boolit Mold
    If you post a video of the problem I will try to help you.
    The length of the H&G130 bullet is 13.4mm and standard .452.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231119_103317.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	320143

Page 338 of 361 FirstFirst ... 238288328329330331332333334335336337338339340341342343344345346347348 ... LastLast