RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    As far as I can tell, the spring is stretched so far because the bullet feeder is basically behind the case feeder, instead of being on the side more to the front. But it looks like the case feeder on the other press is in the way.
    Just rotated it 180 degrees. It alleviated the spring issue. #3 plate is on the printer now. Should have that done in about 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMoose View Post
    Just rotated it 180 degrees. It alleviated the spring issue. #3 plate is on the printer now. Should have that done in about 3 hours.
    Excellent news. Please let us know how it goes.

Yup, the #3 should work... This screenshot says it all.

Base downs drop off the ledge because there's dang near no ledge. Easy fix. You're going to love it very soon.....

I drilled the backside of one of my slides and screwed in a pan headed screw to hold it out just so....this was before TylerR started making sliders of every depth!

Boy, I really don't like having the collator in back.....besides the long unwieldy spring, it's too far away to see what's happening without a step ladder and leaning over the whole setup.......maybe that has something to do with my short legs....You suppose?

I have a situation where a long spring became necessary on my setup, but I handled it without a long floppy spring for my .223 bullets. Picture below shows there's more than one way to skin a cat..... But as you can see nothings in the back....my shortness is less a factor, but still a factor seeing inside......so mirrors came next.

Two stiff springs, IMO, is better than one floppy spring.

Next picture is the top end of that setup....you can also see how the mirrors help me. Notice the "wrong" slider works fine held out a little by the pan head screw head.....too lazy to print another slider at the time....an "if it works leave it alone mentality".

Last edited by GWS; 10-22-2021 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    I have a situation where a long spring became necessary on my setup, but I handled it without a long floppy spring for my .223 bullets. Picture below shows there's more than one way to skin a cat..... But as you can see nothings in the back....my shortness is less a factor, but still a factor seeing inside......so mirrors came next.

Two stiff springs, IMO, is better than one floppy spring.

Next picture is the top end of that setup....you can also see how the mirrors help me.
    Love that sliding steel mount you created. And your solution there for the long spring is very clean.

Hey you good fellas in here, I've got a few questions that might have been answered before, but I'd also like a cross check and some experience.

I started printing this feeder over a year ago, kinda before it really took off. I basically reprinted it about 6 months ago ish? I think?

Anyway, I've got the feeder bucket loaded and ready to feed 9mm. I don't have a feed die, but I have the drop tube for a photo switch and a spring section.

How do the printed feed dies hold up? Iirc I'd just need the steel balls and springs?

I'd also like to get it set up to feed the Lee 230 grain blackout bullet(powder coated, not lubed) what all would I need to get it rolling too? A second feed die, feed plate(of course) spring and drop tube? How are people mounting them to 650's? I can't quite seem to find a place that makes sense for it to go, and still be able to get the bullets where they need to go.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    Hey you good fellas in here, I've got a few questions that might have been answered before, but I'd also like a cross check and some experience.............How do the printed feed dies hold up? Iirc I'd just need the steel balls and springs?

I was very skeptical about the printed feed dies, but when I really didn't see one bit of bad press on them.....and trusting TylerR like I do.....I decided to bite, especially sense I've never been crazy about the Hornady pistol feeder dies I have. I also wondered how "plastic" dies would hold up. So I printed.......one.

Wow! Efficiency is 100%.....I mean it works every time......and I discovered that there really is zero wear that I can discern.....and yet if in a few years I see some wear (which I doubt), I'll print up another for a few dollars worth of plastic PLA.

That was .45......so then I printed .40.......then .357. All three work every single time....... Heck I'm about to print up #4.....9mm and I only load 9mm for my relatives....I don't even own a 9mm pistol.

Yes! All you need is to order is ball bearings and springs. Anyway....I'll leave ya a picture to wet your appetite.

Hey you good fellas in here, I've got a few questions that might have been answered before, but I'd also like a cross check and some experience.

I started printing this feeder over a year ago, kinda before it really took off. I basically reprinted it about 6 months ago ish? I think?

Anyway, I've got the feeder bucket loaded and ready to feed 9mm. I don't have a feed die, but I have the drop tube for a photo switch and a spring section.

How do the printed feed dies hold up? Iirc I'd just need the steel balls and springs?

I'd also like to get it set up to feed the Lee 230 grain blackout bullet(powder coated, not lubed) what all would I need to get it rolling too? A second feed die, feed plate(of course) spring and drop tube? How are people mounting them to 650's? I can't quite seem to find a place that makes sense for it to go, and still be able to get the bullets where they need to go.
    My first advice for you is, do not use the photo switch. Go with the proximity sensor setup. It is far superior.

Feed dies have held up no issues for me. Yes, bearings and springs.

Yes, going to the 230's will require a new feed plate, spring(and adapters), drop tube and die.

In the 650, you can use station 3 and get rid of the powder check, or keep the powder check, use station 4, and a combo seat/crimp die in station 5. Personally I tried the combo die and did not like the results. There are several methods for mounting the collator and I would check the manual for those.

I was very skeptical about the printed feed dies, but when I really didn't see one bit of bad press on them.....and trusting TylerR like I do.....I decided to bite, especially sense I've never been crazy about the Hornady pistol feeder dies I have. I also wondered how "plastic" dies would hold up. So I printed.......one.

Wow! Efficiency is 100%.....I mean it works every time......and I discovered that there really is zero wear that I can discern.....and yet if in a few years I see some wear (which I doubt), I'll print up another for a few dollars worth of plastic PLA.

That was .45......so then I printed .40.......then .357. All three work every single time....... Heck I'm about to print up #4.....9mm and I only load 9mm for my relatives....I don't even own a 9mm pistol.

Yes! All you need is to order ball bearing and springs. Anyway....I'll leave ya a picture to wet your appetite.

Thanks for the input! I've got enough filament to print... About a single lock ring... Maybe. So I need to get more.

Which segways into my next question... What filaments are those? Those colors are amazing! Where did you get your springs? The one I planned on using for 9 was just a bit of screen door spring I stretched out to loosen up.

The way this thread has grown is just amazing and I appreciate everyone's hard work on it

Yes! All you need is to order is ball bearings and springs. Anyway....I'll leave ya a picture to wet your appetite.
    Damn those look so good.

And not a single 9mm GWS? That is hard to do. Kudos for hooking up the family though.

About a single lock ring... Maybe. So I need to get more.
    Just so you know, I designed a printable locking ring too.

Ball bearings: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spring Assortment: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Zltech Green and Blue Silk: https://www.zyltech.com/new-zyltech-...-1-kg-2-2-lbs/

Red silk from them is made by another manufacturer.....and was disappointing. Am trying to find another company to buy similar silk composite PLA in red.
    Last edited by GWS; 10-23-2021 at 08:35 AM.

Damn those look so good.

And not a single 9mm GWS? That is hard to do. Kudos for hooking up the family though.
    I only recently bought a .40S&W....well okay, 2 of them. (okay 5 years ago!) If I ever have to shoot something or someone in self defense, I don't want them getting up and shooting me back! That's why I like .45acp.....I know old school.....well I'm old, what do you expect? My favorite pistol is the one I shoot what I aim at best.....so far that's a Ruger SR40. Dang fine shooter even better than my .45's. I'd like to try 10mm next.

Ball bearings: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spring Assortment: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Zltech Green and Blue Silk: https://www.zyltech.com/new-zyltech-...-1-kg-2-2-lbs/

Red silk from them is made my another manufacturer.....and was disappointing. Am trying to find another company to buy similar silk composite PLA in red.
    Awesome, thanks!

What printer do you use? I've got an ender 3 with the micro swiss hot end, so prints so far have been usable, but not amazing, but I don't expect amazing from it. I haven't used any silk pla, but iirc, they generally like a little cooler temps? Or am I mistaken?

I feel like asking for print settings is like asking for load data...

I only recently bought a .40S&W....well okay, 2 of them. (okay 5 years ago!) If I ever have to shoot something or someone in self defense, I don't want them getting up and shooting me back! That's why I like .45acp.....I know old school.....well I'm old, what do you expect? My favorite pistol is the one I shoot what I aim at best.....so far that's a Ruger SR40. Dang fine shooter even better than my .45's. I'd like to try 10mm next.
    Carried a G27 for 20 years. 45acp is my go to when it comes to pistol calibers these days. And hey, I can ring steel at 100 yards with my 45 Banshee 5" barrel so we might be on the same page.....

That said, everyone should have at least one 9mm

But now we are in to that "Ford vs Chevy" conversation, and we all know where that ends up.

Awesome, thanks!

What printer do you use? I've got an ender 3 with the micro swiss hot end, so prints so far have been usable, but not amazing, but I don't expect amazing from it. I haven't used any silk pla, but iirc, they generally like a little cooler temps? Or am I mistaken?

I feel like asking for print settings is like asking for load data...

Last day of July last year, I bought the "new at that time" CR-10 Version 2. All metal hot end but not direct drive. I liked the plate size. I've had my ups and downs with it, but I think I'm almost there.....thanks to TylerR, RedlegEd, and other teachers. TylerR put me on to polypropylene beds.....all my lifting problems went away as long as I clean it with 99% rubbing alcohol after every print. RedlegEd put me on to the super awesome, no moving parts, automatic bed leveling EZABL from TH3D Studio. Those two things are pure Gold!

I usually print at 215C with a 65C bed. For fine prints like the feed dies I print at .12mm layer height. Takes a little longer, but the print is soooo smooth and dimensionally perfect. I now finally! have my stringing problems under control with these retraction settings:

Retraction Distance 6.0 mm
    Retraction Speed 80
    Retraction Minimum Travel 1.5

With those settings I Finally I can print those tubes with ZERO cleanup inside......LOVE IT!

Walls: at least 2 sometimes 4 if I think I need strength.

Top & bottom layers: are at least 2.

TylerR: I don't shoot Glocks worth a .....nevermind. Ruger SR's are accurate and they fit my hands.....that's always a personal thing. I'd like to buy a Ruger .45 to try.....up to now I shoot Colts and Kimber single stacks. The Ruger SR40 is the narrowest double stack I've found. My hands are smallish and it just is an awesome feeling to be able to hit what I aim at every time. 9mm? I really don't want one....yeah I know that can hold enough rounds to shoot whole gang of bandits, but the .40 I like is a good compromise. My Kimber .45 Wilson mags hold 8....
    Last edited by GWS; 10-23-2021 at 09:05 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I toyed around with the feeder last night and this morning. Was able to get consistent feeding nose up with the number 6 plate and a screw in the back to stand it off ever so slightly. Number 3 wasn't doing anything. Number 4 and 5 were inconsistent as far as all nose up. Every 12 or so at least 1 (maybe 2) would be nose down.

Can't for the life of me figure out why but this seems to have solved the problem...

Thank you guys for all the help. It's really awesome to see people devoting time to creating, open sourcing, and helping others in the community.

So the #3 was going the wrong direction.....ha.....so the bigger the number the more ledge....sorry I had it backwards.

So I ordered some blue silk pla and the spring and steel ball kit for the bullet feeders. Next step is getting the feed springs. hopefully I can actually get this thing finished and going! Which means, I need to get casting!

So I ordered some blue silk pla and the spring and steel ball kit for the bullet feeders. Next step is getting the feed springs. hopefully I can actually get this thing finished and going! Which means, I need to get casting!
    Just a word of caution. Make sure your printer is dimensionally calibrated as best as you can possibly get it. The dies do sort of require that. If you have never gone through this tutorial it is a great resource.

https://teachingtechyt.github.io/cal...on.html#esteps
    Last edited by TylerR; 10-24-2021 at 10:38 PM.

Just a word of caution. Make sure your printer in dimensionally calibrated as best as you can possibly get it. The dies do sort of require that. If you have never gone through this tutorial it is a great resource.

https://teachingtechyt.github.io/cal...on.html#esteps
    Yeah, I did just recently go through it and actually calibrate the e steps. I remember it took a bit of fiddling, since I believe it had been under extruding, so I had tweaked other settings to get things dimensionally correct, so once I got my e steps right, everything changed I'll be sure to double check all that before printing again, since I haven't ran the printer in a few months

Page 250 of 360 FirstFirst ... 150200240241242243244245246247248249250251252253254255256257258259260300350 ... LastLast