Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    I will take a look at it and can open it up if needed. What were your print settings?
    0.12mm Layer Height
    2 Walls
    20% Infill

Printed it with both Sunlu Grass Green PLA and Sunlu Black PLA+ with same results at temperature settings that I have found to be optimal for each based on various calibration tests.

For info My fired brass measures between 11 and 11.1 mm, shot from an S&W 4006. I'm guessing cases with the so called "glock bulge" could measure even larger.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Whats the prints dimensions? They're never exactly what you want

Quote Originally Posted by ranger391xt View Post
    0.12mm Layer Height
    2 Walls
    20% Infill

Printed it with both Sunlu Grass Green PLA and Sunlu Black PLA+ with same results at temperature settings that I have found to be optimal for each based on various calibration tests.

For info My fired brass measures between 11 and 11.1 mm, shot from an S&W 4006. I'm guessing cases with the so called "glock bulge" could measure even larger.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    I just bumped up the inner diameter from 11.2mm to 11.5mm. That should provide plenty of clearance. If there are issues still, I would suggest running a round file through it for a few passes.

https://github.com/BF556/Feeder/blob..._Insert_40.stl

Boolit Grand Master
    I have found someone to print what I need as I could not justify buying a 3D printer. I have downloaded JRE but when I try to open the Parts Generator to get the files I need, nothing happens.

Any advice appreciated.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have found someone to print what I need as I could not justify buying a 3D printer. I have downloaded JRE but when I try to open the Parts Generator to get the files I need, nothing happens.

Any advice appreciated.
    Did you download and install Java?

https://www.java.com/en/

JRE and java are synonymous. JRE stands for Java Runtime Environment.

what operating system are you using? When you say nothing, you mean nothing flashes on screen or anything, the task manager doesn't have a process running for the generator? I would try removing the JRE and reinstalling it. If that doesn't work if your on windows run it in administrator mode or on linux run it with super user privileges

we should have a issue template or something in the sticky. too often do we get people saying something doesn't work and nothing else and then asking for people to solve their problems. This isn't enough to go on.
    Last edited by Jackbrush; 09-06-2021 at 03:59 PM. Reason: last paragraph

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackbrush View Post
    JRE and java are synonymous. JRE stands for Java Runtime Environment.

what operating system are you using? When you say nothing, you mean nothing flashes on screen or anything, the task manager doesn't have a process running for the generator? I would try removing the JRE and reinstalling it. If that doesn't work if your on windows run it in administrator mode or on linux run it with super user privileges

we should have a issue template or something in the sticky. too often do we get people saying something doesn't work and nothing else and then asking for people to solve their problems. This isn't enough to go on.
    Running Windows 10. Heck, I do not know how to explain it any better. Sucks to be ignorant. Will see if my son can help.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    hey tylerR just looked at the files at gethub never been on site how do i download the whole batch last download for me was google drive thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greekman View Post
    hey tylerR just looked at the files at gethub never been on site how do i download the whole batch last download for me was google drive thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	git.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	288374

Running Windows 10. Heck, I do not know how to explain it any better. Sucks to be ignorant. Will see if my son can help.
    I feel your pain! I always thought I was computer literate, but this Java and Jar file I don't understand either.....I couldn't make it work..... I click the "jar" file and I get a picture on the screen showing the bullet/case feeder project, and the APP stuff, but I check boxes I want and click "start" and a green light goes back and forth forever.....nothing happens......so I look at the top of the "Jar" screen and it says it can't find the project directory.......well, I can't find it either.... no instructions on creating a "project" either.....Chinese to me..... I don't read minds well.....maybe this is for programmers.... I'm certainly not one of those.
    Last edited by GWS; 09-08-2021 at 12:19 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    I feel your pain! I always thought I was computer literate, but this Java and Jar file I don't understand either.....I couldn't make it work..... I click the "jar" file and I get a picture on the screen showing the bullet/case feeder project, and the APP stuff, but I check boxes I want and click "start" and a green light goes back and forth forever.....nothing happens......so I look at the top of the "Jar" screen and it says it can't find the project directory.......well, I can't find it either.... no instructions on creating a "project" either.....Chinese to me..... I don't read minds well.....maybe this is for programmers....certainly not one of those.
    THANK YOU!!

I have a degree in Mech Eng and a Masters degree, so figure I must be a wee bit above stupid. Now, in all honesty, those degrees are decades old so might not mean much now. I am leaning towards just buying a system that works from Double Alpha. Luckily I was able to make a few dollars along the way and do not need to deal with the frustration of the learning curve this is presenting.

Maybe next time my son is here I will see if he can figure it out. He was reading the DOS manual when he was 10 years old so knows his way around computers. But my gut is telling me $600 for the commercial unit is what I should do.
    Don Verna

THANK YOU!!

I have a degree in Mech Eng and a Masters degree, so figure I must be a wee bit above stupid. Now, in all honesty, those degrees are decades old so might not mean much now. I am leaning towards just buying a system that works from Double Alpha. Luckily I was able to make a few dollars along the way and do not need to deal with the frustration of the learning curve this is presenting.

Maybe next time my son is here I will see if he can figure it out. He was reading the DOS manual when he was 10 years old so knows his way around computers. But my gut is telling me $600 for the commercial unit is what I should do.
    Wait! Java should not be the issue that dissuades you. Printing a collator is so easy a monkey can do it.

If engineering is something you've done 3d printing should be at the very least mildly interesting. Just being able to replace cheap ****ty plastic parts that break is wild.

Maybe the JRE didn't install correctly. It wouldnt be the first time I had to reinstall Java.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Wait! Java should not be the issue that dissuades you. Printing a collator is so easy a monkey can do it.
    Good one!!

This old monkey seems dumber than most when it comes to this.

BTW, you have done a fantastic job and I realize my issues are due to my ignorance. Most folks are getting the job done. I am not criticizing at all.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorga View Post
    Started a 2d feeder to match my lee setups .. Also trying the app parts in resin . They look really good
    Resin works the best for smaller parts in my opinion... Never had to fit anything when parts printed with resin...

Boolit Mold
    Any chance someone cn post a pic of the bullet feed finished,,,, I got a bunch of parts, but not sue if I'm putting them where they need to go, or if I have them all......
    thanks

Terp

Boolit Buddy
    Good one!!

This old monkey seems dumber than most when it comes to this.

BTW, you have done a fantastic job and I realize my issues are due to my ignorance. Most folks are getting the job done. I am not criticizing at all.
    The project you’ve downloaded already has pretty much all STL files (you process them with slicing application like Cura, or I use slic3r). Just check the manual it has very good explanation on what parts you need to print, find corresponding STL file and voila. I’ve started conversation about Java because I wanted to generate a custom plate and had issues related to OS (I think), if you need “standard” one provided STL files should do.

Quote Originally Posted by paflyfisher View Post
    Any chance someone cn post a pic of the bullet feed finished,,,, I got a bunch of parts, but not sue if I'm putting them where they need to go, or if I have them all......
    thanks

Terp
    There is a set of photographs in the "Images" folder of the zip file.

The user manual, (User Manual_v3.0.pdf) has several pictures and circuit diagrams that help too.

This is a short video of one of the collators I've printed and assembled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbx6oDoYCdM

Actually, TylerR is right. This monkey bought a $500 Creality last year a month ago (now $425), and I've printed 2 bullet feeders and a case feeder just fine without Java. I've been designing homes and buildings (even a grocery store) on Autocad for 40 years...built my first cad computer with a soldering iron (Heath Kit) because I couldn't buy one powerful enough for Cad back then. (I was the first Cad designer in my area....see how old I am?) I tell you that because that's ancient history....I'm much dumber now. Not only Java challenged, but Git challenged as well. But I get by so far, and when TylerR doesn't make what I want to print, I make my own .stl's with Autocad.

I would like to learn Java and the little app on TylerR's downloads....but somebody will have to show me how. But I don't HAVE to have that.

But Dverna, the thing about buying a 3D printer is you can print many things for that $425. You buy the commercial bullet feeder and you spend more than that and it's just one. Then spend another bunch of money for a case feeder.

A roll of plastic is 20 to 25 dollars, and you can print a whole collator and plate with one roll. Buy a motor and a switch and you're on your way. Want to add a caliber? Another caliber plate will cost you 5 hours and 5 dollars worth of plastic....add a caliber with the DAA and get ready to cringe.....expensive, want another caliber.....repeat cringe. I know ...... my MD doctor brother has a DAA, and now he wants me to design and 3d print some plates for him ... that purchase keeps on soaking him. Great product, but expensive as hell.

So look what I have for the one big purchase, my printer, and a few little easy ones:

bullet feeder above has a clutch. Notice the one bullet hangs (redesigned the ramp to stop that) but TylerR's clutch saves the day, this is the real world....hangs can happen....the clutch keeps the motor from binding.

Case feeder below (works every bit as good as Dillon's):

Once you get the printer and print those, then you can branch out and make parts for other things, like I did for my Pro 2000 when I made a lights and camera add on:

It keeps on giving......not soaking.

So once you get a printer and get past that short learning curve, ask lots of questions. (I first printed a T Rex for my grandson) then decide what you want first. If a Bullet Feeder......

1. Print a Collator body. Ask TylerR or one of us which file to print .....
    2. Decide what you want to collate first, Rifle? or Pistol? and what caliber...
    3. Print a bullet plate, a clutch and a slide for that caliber .... questions on which .stls to print? Just ask here.
    4. Order electrical parts, and Print a Switch box.
    5. Decide how you want to mount the collator and we will help you with that. (there's more than one way to mount it)
    6. Buy a power supply or use a 12V wall wart you already have.

Like I said, I only started a year ago.....doesn't take long to get pretty good at it. Not nearly as good as TylerR, but he's had a lot more years under his belt.

Once you have a printer ordered, download one of the free slicers, like Cura or my personal favorite, IdeaMaker. Slicer choice is a personal thing.......for me and the way I think and process behind the eyes, Idea Maker was easier to learn....for me just organized better. But Cura probably has lot's more users......perhaps I'm sort of a divergent.

The process is to download a print file (.stl) then open it on your slicer, then slice it, once you set the settings. (and we can help you with that, and/or you can look at a lot of videos about slicing on YouTube...not that hard). Then once sliced, you save it to disk where it becomes a Gcode file, that your 3D printer can read and print from. Copy that file to an SD card and plug it into your printer and print away.
    Last edited by GWS; 09-08-2021 at 12:32 PM.

3d printers are $200 bucks, old man

Page 241 of 361 FirstFirst ... 141191231232233234235236237238239240241242243244245246247248249250251291341 ... LastLast