Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 100 of 363 FirstFirst ... 5090919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110150200 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 7253

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Just FYI. Ive been using Prusa Slicer and it has a pretty slick feature. Variable layer height. So for a collater plate I can print .3 layer height until I get to the top and important parts then it will switch to finer setting. Helps reduce print times.
    That is pretty cool. Have you tried that out on a collator plate yet?

Quote Originally Posted by AR-Bossman View Post
    I remember when you first showed those RCBS dies GWS and my research, which may be wrong, was that the rcbs only allowed one independent bullet to drop. The DAA idea allows the whole stack to drop and in effect help push the bullet into the case. One of the reasons I like your "high" mounted on/off sensor, is that you get a massive amount of weight to help push the bullet into the case, and you will never have to worry about it toppling over.
    Sort of a paradox I guess That's why the RCBS product comes with an "M" die. With it used before the powder drop, one doesn't need a stack. My other test was with one bullet, one drop, and it sticks....well even! Now maybe you can understand why I tested it on my single station press first.....with one bullet and no stack...I was skeptical:

Now I'm really curious how it's possible to do it with only one bearing.....I would think two at 180 would be better balanced. I think 3 might be overkill.
    Last edited by GWS; 11-01-2020 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    That system looks definitely a lot more involved.
    I suppose....a little....it uses a well known old system but newly executed with obviously "Rick inspired" ball bearings. They sure work better. What I don't understand is why MBF only uses "M" steps on pistols. Why didn't they use them on the rifle feeders too?

That is pretty cool. Have you tried that out on a collator plate yet?
    I figured I’d try it on something small first and it works like a charm. I might throw another collator plate on tonight and try it with that. The cool thing about it is you can adjust the layer height anywhere on the print..I.e the bottom 1/3 of something then the top 1/2 etc. big bonus for sure

That system looks definitely a lot more involved.
    I suppose....a little....it uses a well known old system but newly executed with obviously "Rick inspired" ball bearings. They sure work better. What I don't understand is why MBF only uses "M" steps on pistols. Why didn't they use them on the rifle feeders too?

And for that matter, why is RCBS still screwing around with mediocre pistol feeders, when the rifle ones work so much better?

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Sort of a paradox I guess That's why the RCBS product comes with an "M" die. With it used before the powder drop, one doesn't need a stack. My other test was with one bullet, one drop, and it sticks....well even! Now maybe you can understand why I tested it on my single station press first.....with one bullet and no stack...I was skeptical:

Now I'm really curious how it's possible to do it with only one bearing.....I would think two at 180 would be better balanced. I think 3 might be overkill.
    GWS. I have no clue how it works with one bearing but it is and it works as well as the DAA one I have. I’d suggest anyone trying it try with one first to see if it works. I’d like to see inside the die but I’m sure it’s a single ring around the inside that the bearing will for lack of better words fall into as the case is inserted

Boolit Buddy
    My opinion, is that DAA sells the integrated powder drop and M die for pistol because it's the sizes favor being able to do that and it leaves station 3 open for powder check. They sell the lyman M die for .223 and .308.

Makes sense....

I guess I should add one more thing.....I'd rather buy from RCBS than DAA....they've been good to me for 46 years....bent over backwards even.....so I'm loyal.....not to the parent company mind you, just RCBS. So if they have a product that works, I buy it...if I can.

On the DAA die, I'm still not sure how it works with different lengths of bullets. The many adjustment holes in the RCBS are obvious. I can understand obvious. But just one extra hole and ring adjustment has me baffled. I may have to print one of these semi copies to analyze myself.
    Last edited by GWS; 11-01-2020 at 11:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Does anybody know which slide plate can be used to flip bullets nose down on the original AmmoMike design? I tried to scaled down Tyler's and it doesn't work so well :/

Also, which motor did folks settle on for Tyler's larger design?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by o416 View Post
    Does anybody know which slide plate can be used to flip bullets nose down on the original AmmoMike design? I tried to scaled down Tyler's and it doesn't work so well :/

Also, which motor did folks settle on for Tyler's larger design?
    See if you can find a post or a thread somewhere in here or the special projects section where he designed and shared a really good nose down setup for the ammomike design. It's been maybe a year or more since he posted the information. I'll update if I can find at least his name.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hanks-AmmoMike!
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4082769

Boolit Buddy
    I may have to print one of these semi copies to analyze myself.
    The sacrifices you make for science, GWS, is inspiring. Hahahahaha

The sacrifices you make for science, GWS, is inspiring. Hahahahaha
    It’s a pretty fast print as well...compared to some of the things we print. Go for it

Exactly.........any more sacrifice than that would be a waste of plastic I'm not willing to make. I already have more useful ideas and things to print than I have time left on this earth for. And, I already have working bullet feed dies in all the calibers I need......and, I may be wrong, but steel ball bearings riding in plastic seems, well, .......a bit temporary?
    Last edited by GWS; 11-02-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Exactly.........any more sacrifice than that would be a waste of plastic I'm not willing to make. I already have more useful ideas and things to print than I have time left on this earth for. And, I already have working bullet feed dies in all the calibers I need......and, I may be wrong, but steel ball bearings riding in plastic seems, well, .......a bit temporary?
    Good point..However, when it break if it breaks print another. hahahahaha

Too bad self lubricating and extraordinarily strong UHMW isn't 3d printable.....imagine the possibilities....

Too bad self lubricating and extraordinarily strong UHMW isn't 3d printable.....imagine the possibilities....
    I’d have fun with that one for sure.

Boolit Buddy
    For the average reloader I think they would work alright, but even DAA makes a "pro" version of their dropper that is all steel and a huge chunk of brass for weight.

For the average reloader I think they would work alright, but even DAA makes a "pro" version of their dropper that is all steel and a huge chunk of brass for weight.
    Weight is a plus. The do make these little ad ons that I think would be easy to incorporate in our quests.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C47D101B-7568-434C-A3A0-347D811D3C06.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	270602

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Weight is a plus. The do make these little ad ons that I think would be easy to incorporate in our quests.
    I have been doing some testing with the design, and there are some issues that come in to play in the "real world". I found that when its just the dropper die with the drop tube, everything functions perfectly. Once you connect the spring however it imparts some sideways loading on the dies, which can cause it to bind up and not return to the down position. So o-rings / springs / more weight do seem necessary to help prevent that.

I also realize that on the 45 die using two 4mm bearings is not an option. There is just not enough clearance. One bearing does work, but I may redesign it around 3.5mm bearings. As far as the steel ball bearings breaking down the plastic, I can only see that maybe becoming an issue after many thousands of rounds, if ever.

I have been doing some testing with the design, and there are some issues that come in to play in the "real world". I found that when its just the dropper die with the drop tube, everything functions perfectly. Once you connect the spring however it imparts some sideways loading on the dies, which can cause it to bind up and not return to the down position. So o-rings / springs / more weight do seem necessary to help prevent that.

I also realize that on the 45 die using two 4mm bearings is not an option. There is just not enough clearance. One bearing does work, but I may redesign it around 3.5mm bearings. As far as the steel ball bearings breaking down the plastic, I can only see that maybe becoming an issue after many thousands of rounds, if ever.
    I had the same issue once I installed the output spring. I created a little bracket that would go on the Dillon drop tube and then the spring to straighten out the output spring. Seems to be working. I’ll try to get a picture here in a bit. But I see why the rubber washer or springs on the sides would help greatly