Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Gas Checked ,460 sized boolits

Boolit Bub

Gas Checked ,460 sized boolits

Eventually I'll have a 460350RFGC mold. This is designed to throw a .460 diameter boolit cast from wheelweights. The shank is .426 so it should fit in a Hornaday .45 gas check. The question is will this combo crimp onto the boolit base using a .460 sizing die. My measurement of Hornaday .45 gas checks show them to be .460-.461. Does anyone have any experience attaching Hornaday checks with a .460 sizing die? Alernately, does anyone know the diameter of Gator .45 rifle gas checks?

Paborn

Banned

No experience with the Hornady checks, but after measuring the Gator checks in 458R, I think they will work just fine for you.

Boolit Bub
    Blammer:

What exactly are the demensions of the 458R? Nowhere can I find Gator check demensions. The only listing is for shank demensions.

Thanks,

PaBorn

Banned

I happen to be sitting here with my brand new Mitutoyo Digital Micrometer and measuring 45cal Gas checks.

Gator (rifle) OD= .46875

Hornady OD= .46155

Boolit Master
    eh? .46875? Seems large.
    ph4570

Banned

mine measure .468 OD and ID is .425

Boolit Bub
    Just got 1000 45 Hornaday checks from Midway.....they mike .4605 Largest OD I feel these will be marginal for crimp if sized in a .460 sizer. The Gator checks sound better but now I feel I'd have an issue with a .425 inside diameter considering that the shank on the 460350RFGC mold is spec'd for a .426 shank. If I could find those fat Hornaday's I'd be in good shape. I guess I'll just have to be careful when I load them. Shouldn't have to worry about losing the check in a straight walled 45-70.

Thanks for the info

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paborn View Post
    The Gator checks sound better but now I feel I'd have an issue with a .425 inside diameter considering that the shank on the 460350RFGC mold is spec'd for a .426 shank.

Not at all. .425 is perfectly fine.

But all is a mute point until you get your mold and cast. Even if they suggest a spec, shank diameters can run all over the place.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the info. The bottom line is wait for the mold and see what hand I'm dealt. The anticipation is killing me. Have everything I need except the mold.