RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can Catholics eat bacon ?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    To the Catholics !

Just as a curious question would the Catholic church accept my baptism performed in a Baptist church ?
    No turning back , No turning back !

People can eat whatever they want to eat, no matter their religion, unless it is payote, or other form of illegal substance consumed by eating.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Jews don't eat pork. Catholics can eat any meat unless its lent.
    Who did they lend it to and when will they get it back?

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    I note your opinion and value it as usual, although not more. But did you notice, at all, that I expressed much more moderate views than were advanced in friendly discussion in post 12. The Spanish Inquisition, although deeply coercive and oppressive, was a bureaucracy with rules, aiming not only at deterrence but at the salvation of those it coerced. Killings were far outnumbered by recantations. I also made the point that child abuse, which I treated less jocularly than I saw it treated, was less frequent in Catholic children's homes than many imagine, and far less frequent by parish clergy.

As for the subsequent sneering at this board's untermenschen of the moment, I was raised a Presbyterian, but don't set much store by the notion some held, that expecting people to pray kneeling is as degrading as some say of Muslim prostration. In fact I don't see any Christians setting much store by dietary rules either, or they wouldn't disagree so much, within the same brand of Christianity even, about alligators and muskrats, and yet not consider it a matter of heresy.

No religious leaders except perhaps some backwoods tent-preachers now deny that Islam is a valid religion. As, indeed, Islam does for Christianity, holding it to be the mistaken worship of the second-last and second-greatest of the prophets. It is a better deal than you want to give them.
    Sorry I can't personally give you relief in your present condition but as in the past in the old pit I would be more than happy to give you the offer of God's gift of salvation and eternal life through him ?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    To the Catholics !

Just as a curious question would the Catholic church accept my baptism performed in a Baptist church ?
    That is a good question, I would suspect they would.
    In my experience a Lutheran church would. But the funny/interesting thing with your comment, Boaz...is that a Baptist church that I joined would not accept my baptism that happened in a Lutheran church. The Baptist Pastor said it was technically a baby dedication and Baptism (to Baptists) can't happen before the age of accountability. But IMHO, who is to say that Baptism by water and Baptism by the spirit can't happen at different times? even years apart? As I look at it, I've been Baptized three different times...two for show (with water) and one when I personally accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior.

I think a better question is, Can a person be Baptized too many times?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    That is a good question, I would suspect they would.
    In my experience a Lutheran church would. But the funny/interesting thing with your comment, Boaz...is that a Baptist church that I joined would not accept my baptism that happened in a Lutheran church. The Baptist Pastor said it was technically a baby dedication and Baptism (to Baptists) can't happen before the age of accountability. But IMHO, who is to say that Baptism by water and Baptism by the spirit can't happen at different times? even years apart? As I look at it, I've been Baptized three different times...two for show (with water) and one when I personally accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior.

I think a better question is, Can a person be Baptized too many times?
    LOL ! That's a good question . All Baptisms accepted by Baptist churches must be total emersion preceded by a public confession of faith . Many other churches sprinkle or pour on babies and it is not accepted as baptism because you must be old enough to know what you are doing to which is committing your life to GOD . Accountability , a candidate for baptism is questioned and made fully aware of the commitment they are making . In the case of children extra care is taken to make sure the child understands and mature enough to make such a decision .
    I was baptized when I was 7 , under ordinary circumstances that's pretty early . In our church a few years ago a 4 year old and her mother came down , the mother said this 4 year old wanted to commit . You could tell most folks were upset ....just too young ! The parents were counseled and nothing else happened .

Boolit Master
    To the Catholics !

Yes, any baptism so long as water was used and “in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit/Ghost” was said that is considered a valid baptism in the eyes of the Roman Catholic Church.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

Never stopped my grandparents. I always liked grandpas navy prayer. Pop the latch and down the hatch. Amen!

Btw our school always had fish sticks on Friday, since we had a sizable catholic population.
    Last edited by Plate plinker; 01-30-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Btw our school always had fish sticks on Friday, since we had a sizable catholic population.
    Come to think about it, the public school in my hometown (in the 1970s) did the same thing. About half of the church going public was Catholic in that town.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Yes, any baptism so long as water was used and “in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit/Ghost” was said that is considered a valid baptism in the eyes of the Roman Catholic Church.

Thank you sir !

Ok ! This might be a trick question .

To the Catholics ;

Would I be able to baptize you and the Catholic church recognize it as a 'good' baptism with me being just a Baptist layman ?

If the laws are done away with, why in Revelations 18:2 do they make a distinction of an unclean bird? Also eating kosher is not salvational. You couldn't go into the presence of the Temple Mount(or the Ark of the Covenant) being unclean after not eating kosher. Also with some parasites you cannot kill them no matter how much you cook it unless it is cooked to a useless inedible piece of carbon. The Most Highs laws were not the burden. It was the oral law of the Pharisees and Sadducees that was the burden.

If the kosher laws only applied to Jews why did Noah make a distinction between 7 pairs of clean animals on the Ark and 2 pairs of unclean animals on the Ark?

Boolit Grand Master

During Lent my steaks are transgender and they IDENTIFY as fish??? No, no problem with bacon.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't limit my fish-eating to Fridays. I do recall the fish sticks being served in my school cafeteria on Fridays. My hometown has always had a high percentage of Hispanic residents, and they are predominantly Roman Catholic. I miss having a good fish & chips place locally--love that stuff with good cole slaw.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Can Catholics eat bacon ?

Ok ! This might be a trick question .

To the Catholics ;

Would I be able to baptize you and the Catholic church recognize it as a 'good' baptism with me being just a Baptist layman ?
    Baptisms preformed by laity are considered valid, but typically reserved for serious situations. For example there were Jews during WWII baptized in concentration camps by laypeople.

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 01-30-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    LOL ! That's a good question . All Baptisms accepted by Baptist churches must be total emersion preceded by a public confession of faith .
    I was raised Roman Catholic, joined a southern baptist congregation 10 or 12 years ago.

In the catholic tradition a baby is baptized. This is simply based on tradition founded on the now abandoned belief that salvation was linked to sacraments. The child is then confirmed when he or she personally accepts Jesus, this is similar to the Baptists’ baptism, although the ceremony involves both sprinkling with water and anointing with oil.

In both the Baptist and Catholic traditions as currently exercised, salvation is a result of the grace of God and accepting Jesus and is not a function of any church ceremony. The ceremony serves to celebrate the event with the community and especially for Baptists as a requirement for membership in the congregation.

When my wife and I would attend catholic mass she was unsure about taking communion. The priest said that he could not knowingly offer communion to someone that was not baptized. She said that she was baptized, accepted communion, and was not struck dead.

When we decided that I would join the baptist congregation they asked about my history and understood that I had been baptized as a baby and had accepted Jesus at confirmation, but they still insisted on a profession of faith and the full dunk to obtain membership. They never said that my salvation depended upon the dunk, just my membership in the congregation.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Baptisms preformed by laity are considered valid, but typically reserved for serious situations. For example there were Jews baptized in concentration camps by laypeople.

You are correct I could in the right circumstances baptize a Catholic sir !

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I was raised Roman Catholic, joined a southern baptist congregation 10 or 12 years ago.

In the catholic tradition a baby is baptized. This is simply based on tradition founded on the now abandoned belief that salvation was linked to sacraments. The child is then confirmed when he or she personally accepts Jesus, this is similar to the Baptists’ baptism, although the ceremony involves both sprinkling with water and anointing with oil.

In both the Baptist and Catholic traditions as currently exercised, salvation is a result of the grace of God and accepting Jesus and is not a function of any church ceremony. The ceremony serves to celebrate the event with the community and especially for Baptists as a requirement for membership in the congregation.

When my wife and I would attend catholic mass she was unsure about taking communion. The priest said that he could not knowingly offer communion to someone that was not baptized. She said that she was baptized, accepted communion, and was not struck dead.

When we decided that I would join the baptist congregation they asked about my history and understood that I had been baptized as a baby and had accepted Jesus at confirmation, but they still insisted on a profession of faith and the full dunk to obtain membership. They never said that my salvation depended upon the dunk, just my membership in the congregation.
    Well Jim you cheated me out of my next question . Which was ..would a Baptist church honor a Catholic Baptism . As you stated the answer is no , a public profession of faith must be made followed by total emersion baptism .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    In the catholic tradition a baby is baptized. This is simply based on tradition founded on the now abandoned belief that salvation was linked to sacraments.
    The Catholic Church has never abandon any beliefs or dogmas.