Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Wtb: Bottom Pour casting pot

Boolit Buddy

Wtb: Bottom Pour casting pot

I知 really getting into casting and ladle pouring is for the birds. I知 looking for a nice used bottom pour pot.

Thanks

What are you using for a ladle? Nothing against bottom pour but I like using a ladle. I use the Lyman little dipper and it works out pretty decent.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Casting.../dp/B001OPLJUU

I thought I would pass that on, if you already have a dipper pot might be worth trying. Otherwise good luck with finding a bottom pour. I know a lot of folks swear by them especially those that run more than one mold at a time.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Check your PM's

PM sent
    Doug
    Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better !!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    What are you using for a ladle? Nothing against bottom pour but I like using a ladle. I use the Lyman little dipper and it works out pretty decent.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Casting.../dp/B001OPLJUU

I thought I would pass that on, if you already have a dipper pot might be worth trying. Otherwise good luck with finding a bottom pour. I know a lot of folks swear by them especially those that run more than one mold at a time.
    I知 not sure what brand my ladle is but it looks similar to the link you posted. I initially thought I would only cast for a few times a year but it seems like cast is all I shoot these days and am spending time in front of that casting pot weekly. I知 hoping to increase my productivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastleo View Post
    I知 not sure what brand my ladle is but it looks similar to the link you posted. I initially thought I would only cast for a few times a year but it seems like cast is all I shoot these days and am spending time in front of that casting pot weekly. I知 hoping to increase my productivity.
    Fergitaboutit - you increase productivity and then you end up shooting more. So you cast more so.... it either becomes a death spiral or a virtuous circle of joy.

Some molds work better if you tip the mold so it is right on the spout of the ladle and pour by turning the mold and ladle together. Lead goes in under pressure, I have one mold that that was the only approach that didn't have a high reject rate that I got with pouring it in normally. Still I have given some thought to bottom pour and some molds with more cavities so I can crank out the plinking ammo. Especially the closer I get to retirement.

Bump to help a caster find a new furnace
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Fergitaboutit - you increase productivity and then you end up shooting more. So you cast more so.... it either becomes a death spiral or a virtuous circle of joy.

Some molds work better if you tip the mold so it is right on the spout of the ladle and pour by turning the mold and ladle together. Lead goes in under pressure, I have one mold that that was the only approach that didn't have a high reject rate that I got with pouring it in normally. Still I have given some thought to bottom pour and some molds with more cavities so I can crank out the plinking ammo. Especially the closer I get to retirement.

Bump to help a caster find a new furnace
    Great post!

I’m young(27) and casting/ shooting cast bullets is a great value and a ton of fun. The more I do it and learn about it the better my results get. It’s a great pastime, I’ve learned a ton off this site and I would not be where I’m at with this hobby if it wasn’t for you all. It’s a good alternative to not having someone show you in person.

Boolit Master

I might have a small old pot you can have for the shipping. It may be a Med Flat Rate Box. I think it's a 10 # furnace.

Boolit Buddy
    I think I have a deal working doug

Boolit Master

Sounds good. Best of Luck!!