MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Roofers, Better shingle CertainTeed vs Owens Corning Duration

Boolit Master
    Here in Oklahoma any decent 25-30 year shingle will do fine, as it will not last that long anyway due to hail. My house is 22 plus years old and has had the original roof plus TWO (2) reroofs. Second reroof got beat up with SOFTBALL SIZE hail that also ripped holes in corregated steel roof on outbuilding! If your lucky, you might get more than 10-12 years out of a roof.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    the duration will hold up better to wind, i have used both products alot

Boolit Buddy
    I put Class 4 IR Durations on my current house a couple years back. So far, so good! I live on the CO Front Range and we can get violent thunderstorms with big hail in the spring and lots of wind all year. Insurance covered the upgrade when my previous roof got nuked by a couple years of golf ball hail. Interestingly, the city changed their building codes around that time and now require IR shingles for all new roofs.

If I lived in the mountains, I'd probably go standing seam metal and be done with it, but there's no way HOA would sign off on that here, so shingles it is!

Boolit Buddy
    Where I live we get cyclones we have a tin roof screwed down like every one else in the area nobody gets roof damage I like tin

Boolit Master
    having lived in several homes and reroofed a couple with the best architectural shingles available. metal roofing is far superior and if done right, last decades longer than any asphalt shingle. plus if wildfires or chimney/fireplace sparks happen to send embers your way metal, will laugh at fire compared to tar based product

Boolit Master

Metal roofing is good , but has issues to , I have metal roofed structures and shingled , like metal if you do it right and go beyond what the normal install is , the shingles are fine if you buy the best rated and lay your underlayment good , do it yourself for the best roof .

Having roofed and seen what a lot of installers do I will always do my own , as to the shingles being a fire hazard as suggested above , he must burn creosote clinker chimney fires to worry about shingles catching fire , wildfire will burn your house from the ground as fast as the roof , your walls are more of a concern there keep plants shrubs brush away , but it is your call lots of different opinions and to each their own .

My guy put on a metal roof cheaper than removing old shingles and putting back shingles. Go metal
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Go to metal.
    About 10 years ( I think ?) maybe longer , ago we re-roofed and went metal . At the time OPEC controlled the oil and prices for oil were sky high thus asphalt shingles were high ... so high we got a metal roof for the same price as 25 year shingle roof . Used simple galvanized (silver color) vee groove metal roofing panels . The asphalt roof had a leaky spot no roofer could seem to fix ...
    The metal roof stopped all leaks and ... I don't worry about wind or hail or sun damage and my heating / cooling bills dropped a good $50.00 a month . The silver color is cooler and reflects summer heat in summer ... I Love it !!! Taking stimulus money and getting metal roof on my two out buildings , garage and my casting reloading bldg .
    If you can swing it ...go metal !

Like 35isit said ... they left the asphalt roof ... but you can't tell it's on , the metal roof covers completely . Got matching gutters and downspouts too, the old (1929) house is looking good now !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Had my house for 32 yrs. replaced my roof several times. I live on a hill, and can’t keep shingles on this roof. We went an tried other types, the only thing that is working is I went to an all metal roof love it.
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

Banned
    With the new snap together metal panels (Advantage LokII is one brand), you don't need clips or a big sheet metal brake to form the pans.
    There are no exposed fasteners and the install time (labor costs) are less.
    Metal still costs more up front but it is clearly the winner over the long run.

If the OP is thinking about selling the house in 3 -4 years, I would recommend the CHEAPEST shingles not the best shingles. The buyer for the house is not going to care enough about the quality of the shingle for you to recoup the cost of high quality shingles.

I’m a roofer have used both it won’t mater witch they are about equal quality bump my suggestion would be malarkey or gaf shingles gaf has the best warranty malarkey has the best design

Boolit Master

Having had every type roof I’d go with metal now. Lot of tile roofs in FL. Pretty but expensive to repair after a hurricane.
    If any manufacturers still make T-lock shingles you can’t beat them for an asphalt shingle roof. We bought a hose that had T-lock roof installed when they built the house in 1967. Sold it in 03 and the roof still had plenty of life to go.

T-locks have been discontinued for over 15 years they are great until the start to fail then they fail hard

Boolit Master

I did a lot of roofing w/asphalt shingles before they came out with the architectural look. Never installed T-lock but can see where you’d have to really watch your bond & coursing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12