WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Making Large Shot?

Boolit Mold

Making Large Shot?

I’m trying to find a way to make my own round lead shot in the sizes from about .140” to about .210” diameter. Shot in theses sizes seems to fall into a grey area in that you can’t make it with the Littleton Shotmaker because its too big yet its too small for the Lee molds which start around .310”.

I’ve seen a few bespoke molds that are handmade and seem to work ok. Does anyone know of any commercial molds for shot this size range, I assume most of the shot this size is swaged so maybe it just can’t be done?

Thanks,

PieFace…

Boolit Buddy
    You could probably get the Littleton to make big shot, but you'd have to do several things to do it. First, you'd have to install a rheostat to control the melt temp. Then you'd have to have larger orifices drilled into the drippers. You'd have to use pure lead or linotype to get the size right, and you'd need a LONG drop through the coolant to keep from getting pancakes. I've had some #4 size shot come from my Littleton, but it was from the blobs that 1 dripper was making. It was pretty round as was, but the process would bear some work. How much bigger than say #2 you could get would take more research than I'm willing to devote.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Boolit Mold

#4 buckshot lead mold

I bought a #4 .240 mold off e-bay, they are on there now and then.

Boolit Grand Master

Another possibility is to investigate split shot (Fishing) molds. Some have a removable plate so a solid shot is produced. These molds usually have several sizes in one mold ... You just have to "fish" about and find one that has the right sizes and is adaptable. Other molds the "split" can be drilled out so again it will cast a solid shot. Some molds cast a more round ball than maybe another. It is sort of a "grab bag" going this route... But it is a solution... just not perfect.

Boolit Master

larger shot

the one that wolf is talking about the guy makes he has on there now for the size your looking for i got the 00 buck needs a little playing but does pretty good LOT of remelt stuff if i can find it will get auction No shotman --- another thing i did find if you are useing too much pure lead and the temp gets too hot you will get larger shot -- i have 7 1/2 drippers and some times get quite a lot of up to size 4 shot if the above happens
    Last edited by shotman; 08-31-2008 at 12:23 AM. Reason: add thing