Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sprue plate lube

Boolit Man

sprue plate lube

Back in 2010 I purchased some sprue plate lube from I believe it was BULLSHOP and I think he was from Alalska. Well I'm about out and need to purchase some more, Does he still hang around this forum? Can someone point me in the right direction to contact him please.
    "when the going gets tough... eat more fiber!!!"

"duckndawg"

While I don't know Bullshop's contact info, me and a lot of other members on here use synthetic 2 stroke engine oil.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Use Paraffin. It is an alcane distillate and will not leave any residue on the mold
    Been using it for over 10 years and lube the mold pins with it after I found beeswax leaves a burned residue
    Regards
    John

Moderator Emeritus

I believe NOE sells just what you may be looking for, in two forms -- the regular in small bottle, and, as a plate-lub pen. Their web-site is:
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...httc89q1m7f520 and both the company and its CEO, Al "Swede" Nelson are top shelf.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Got to WalMArt, buy the BLUE 2 cycle engine oil. That is all I ever use. Very inexpensive and that basically what "sprue lube" is you get other places!

Banger

Highly recommend NOE sprue plate lube as well as everything else NOE!

Boolit Man
    thanks fellas!
    "when the going gets tough... eat more fiber!!!"

"duckndawg"

Still in South Texas---about 100 miles north of Laredo.
    duckndawg; Dan has his own forum---Bullshop Forum, should be able to reach him there.
    Pumpkin

Boolit Grand Master

You want a full synthetic two stroke oil. That's what Bullshop's lube is. A lot cheaper to buy at your local big box store.

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You want a full synthetic two stroke oil. That's what Bullshop's lube is. A lot cheaper to buy at your local big box store.
    That’s what I use.

Rumor hasn’t it’s that BS filtered it to remove impurities but I have always used the 2 cycle oil and it’s worked just fine.

Boolit Grand Master

To be fair I never had it analyzed. But the Bullshop lube looks and performs just like the synthetic two stroke oil I use in lawn equipment.

Boolit Bub
    Summers in N.E. PA, Winters in Central Florida
    That's a good tip, and I have plenty of the blue two stroke oil, one of my bikes is an old Suzuki 2 stroke with auto injection oil system.
    Do you just put a dab on the sprue plate bolt?

Yes, and on the alignment pins and bushings as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Honcho View Post
    I put a light coat on the top and bottom of the plate as well as the top of the mold blocks. If the mold is up to temp the oil will smoke. Sounds worse than it is. Any lead smears that happen can be easily wiped off.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Honcho View Post
    That's a good tip, and I have plenty of the blue two stroke oil, one of my bikes is an old Suzuki 2 stroke with auto injection oil system.
    Use a Q-Tip to apply , cut the sprue and leave boolits in the cavities, barely moisten the Q-Tip and rub it all over the underside of the sprue plate and top of blocks, wipe off all excess with a shop rag, you want to leave a coat one molecule thick on the plate and block. Drop the boolits out and carry on casting. Any more than a super thin layer and you will contaminate the cavities....took me a long time to learn how little is needed .
    I use it on the pins too.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

I have used paraffin, synthetic 2 cycle oil, for sprue plate lube. Parrafin works but is hard to control on a hot mould. The SYnthetic 2 cycle works good and seems to last awhile for me but you need to have q-tips handy to apply it. I blended paraffin and the 2cycle together in a double boiler melting it together in a 2 parts paraffin 1 part 2 cycle oil and poured into sticks the dia of a pencil. This worked good and with a hot mould a light quick touch relubed the plate and screw. Another old timers trick that works well is to use a pencil ( Graphite) and color the sprue plate and tops of blocks with it. This is a dry lube and dosnt seem to migrate or wear off as fast

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know why you guys need qtips. I place a few drops on the underside of the plate and tilt it to get full coverage. Then wipe it off w/ a rag. Rub the top of the blocks and the top of the plate w/ the rag and the mold is good to go. You'd have to really apply a lot to screw it up.

Moderator Emeritus

I don't know why you guys need qtips.
    need?
    I use Q-tips for many things in the casting/reloading room...I don't need 'em, but I find them extremely handy. As for a sprue plate lube carrier, I apply a couple drops to a Q-tip, and can use the Q-tip for several applications, quick applications (1 or 2 seconds each). I find my casting session goes much better if I re-apply sprue plate lube (when using a aluminum mold) after every 50 dumps or so (and more often with Lee two cav molds). So a casting session may include 10+ lube applications, and it sure is handy to have a wetted Q-tip laying on the bench, when needed.
    YMMV
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I did the "few" drops and roll then wipe off. I find I use much less oil and a more even coating with the q-tip method. For awhile I had a couple small syringes filled with synthetic 2 cycle oil just for this. 2-3 drops and angle the mould to spread out on top of blocks. open and close plate a few times to lube bottom of it and wipe off excess. I also used these to lube sprue hinge and blocks handles and handles hinge pin. They are handy since one small drop can be applied very accurately right where you want it.

With the q-tip I dip to a spot the size of a BB on the end and wipe down the blocks and sprue plate then reverse the q-tip and remove the small amount of excess from the plate and blocks. Leaving the shine of the oil is all.

Both methods work and its personal preference here, like so may things there are many ways to "skin the cat". Its more that its done not how.

I've been using eco AC oil with the qtip. Like the 2stroke stuff, it will build up under the sprue bolt. Be sure to wipe off any blobs of AC oil, it cooks on real hard, somewhat solvent resistant.
    Whatever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast