Wow, time flies. Lots has happened in my world since this post. My wife was diagnosed with adult onset type 1 diabetes, then 9 months ago, Stage 3c Melanoma. Having issues with inlaws with Alzheimers and paranoid delusions. haven't been able to reload, cast, shoot, or hunt in two years.
To answer a couple of posts, yes, I do hunt with a 45acp, 19911 and 625. Never lost a critter yet. But I fired about 12000 rounds the last year I was serious about shooting. I was literally on the range all day, every Saturday instructing, and shot 2-3 days a week personally. Did one on one tutoring at times, so I was pretty familiar with the 1911 and 625 and the 45acp cartridge's ballistics. Soda cans did not stand a chance at 50 yards, and gallon milk jugs didn't at 100 yards. a broadside shot on a standing deer( or coyote) was a done deal. Groundhogs... 75 yards was my limit on them. Now, after two years of caretaking, my confidence isn't that high, and shouldn't be.

My idea of an ideal load is one that cycles ever time, and doesn't keep the gun from meeting its potential. My 1911 was rebuilt right before I quit shooting every day with a kart barrel and national match bushing. Fellow who built it is a long time USPSA competitor (revolver GM) and also builds a lot of 1911s for other competitors. 625 went to the shop before I ever fired it. Hand and cylinder stop were hand fitted in the first tune up as well as the 3 subsequent tune ups. I don't think it will ever shoot as good as my 1911, but it will shoot better than most 1911s. Only problem with the 625 was the #68 doesn't load as fast with them. Moot point now, since to be competitive in USPSA you're going to have to have 929.
I got a really ratty pre 29 in a trade, and had a new cylinder, hand, and taylor throating done on it. Most accurate N frame I ever had, and I started to have it cut for moon clips and work up a load for 44 Russian brass to shoot practical matches. I looked at the cost of moons, brass, changing the sights.....bought the 625. Easier to work up a load for game with the 625/ 1911 than to run an odd wad set up, and have two calibers in one gun, etc. and keep two guns tuned well. I could buy moons at the LGS and sights are interchangeable on my gun, a JM model. Ratty pre 29 got traded.
What I found out with 44 magnums was a big flat bullet in the right place didn't need magnum velocity. It just needed in the boiler room or the noggin, or neck and good night Irene. Why wouldn't the 45 acp do the same thing? It will. In a revolver I don't think it will ever be as accurate as a 44 mag/special, but the 1911 is more accurate, and in the shop less.
Since I don't compete anymore, #68 at whatever the "sweet spot" is will be the go to load. I'll keep my progressive set up for it.
Wife is recovering from the cancer, and "adjusting" to her insulin pump, needs less help every day. There is a club fairly close to here that has USPSA matches and an IDPA match once in a while. And where we live now, ( Eastern KY) is loaded with coyotes, deer, groundhogs, and we can shoot turtles( I'm pretty sure) etc. Two Squirrel seasons ( I have a 22 conversion for the 1911)...two turkey seasons. I may not be able to teach many CCHP classes, KY recently went Constitutional carry, but I can wear out my guns while filling the freezer.
Off topic, but I got out of the habit of carrying here. I drive a school bus as my retirement gig, so I can't carry on school grounds. Kind of got slack. I was almost in a shooting the other day, 3pm at a gas station. some kind of disagreement between tow groups of trash resulted in a girl getting dragged, and her BF shooting int the car. Then Einstein chased the car to the pump where I was trying to pump gas. Fires two more rounds into the car. Not my business, not my problem. But we were the closest people to the second two shots. No reason to draw and darn sure no reason to shoot at anybody, but it could have gotten bad if somebody had wanted our car. Had a guy come into the break room at work( again, gun free zone) and rant and rave and threaten everybody in the room because his ex and her new BF weren't treating his kids to suit him. 10x less people, and almost been in the poop twice in the last two years, no fault of my own. Broad daylight, "safe " place, minding my own business. Going back to carrying 24/ 7. Except on the school bus. Of course. Never break the law.