Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Hardest/most elaborate case conversion you did?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    I did a 45 on a 38SPL case
    That was a lot of work and i have yet to develop a gun for it!
    Attachment 210627
    I did the same thing using a federal .357 mag case and a cast 230 gr round nose. IF you want to have some fun with a gun shop clerk drop that in there hand and tell them you need a box of these.

8mm Siamese . from 45/70 several steps with dies of various calibers

Boolit Grand Master

My most challenging has been my 25 Krag AI. Start with 30-40 Krag, size first 1/4" of the neck down to 7mm and then to 25. Anneal just beyond shoulder and fire form. I wrote up my full process and it is here somewhere.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

.33 WCF from .45-70 was difficult due to the mid-case step which formed in the sizing process
    9.x64 from .375 H&H- had to turn the belt off before sizing, but they worked!
    An Honest Man Keeps His Horse Saddled
    http://www.cardinalguns.com
    http://www.riflehunter.net

5.45mm from .223 with Hornady dies has been impossible for me, I end up crushing every neck during the swage.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master

30-06 to 25-06. I have led a very sheltered life.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Lately I have been making 410 shotgun brass cases from 300 Win mag.

.25 Stevens Rimfire Long from .17 WSM. Has to be annealed twice, without setting off the primer. Is it worth it for a round you can fire only once?
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Lately I have been making 410 shotgun brass cases from 300 Win mag.
    That sounds like it needs a write up on how you're doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    .25 Stevens Rimfire Long from .17 WSM. Has to be annealed twice, without setting off the primer. Is it worth it for a round you can fire only once?
    Assuming the pan of water routine, without the tip over to cool the neck?

Reprime the case(I've read it can be done, not a clue on the viability of such sillyness)?

But most of what we do is viewed as sillyness by non-loaders.

Rotating cup of ice water, and a few kernels of rice inside. Rotation keeps the heat distributed, minimizing the time of exposure. I have a repriming kit, but haven't got enough spent cases to justify setting up for it yet. And it turns out that reforming Hornet brass using 6mm acorn blanks is a better option anyway.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    For 410 from 300 win mag I start by turning off the belt and then a heavy anneal about half way to the base. Next I run them through a 45 acp sizer die. I have one that is large enough on top to allow the brass to come out the top without sizing down farther than 45 case size. This takes several steps of partial sizing, relubing, screwing the die down a few turns, resizing until I get the shell holder to touch the sizer die. This takes quite a bit of pressure when it gets to the head of the case. Then I use a series of homemade tapered m type expander mandrels to open the case mouth. I do two steps then re anneal and do two more steps to final size. Finally, because the rim is too thin, I drilled a hole length way through a piece of 3/4" cold roll that is a bit longer than the case that the case will fit through. I cut a 20 degree angle on the end of this piece and drop a case in it and tap the rim forward against the taper. This removes the excess head space. Looks a bit like a 7.62x54 rim when done.

I tried fire forming a few but lost a large % by either splitting the mouth or blowing it clear off. Cream of wheat wouldn't blow them out very well and a load of shot frequently removed the mouth end of the case.

I'm loading 15gr of 2400, a plastic 1/2 oz shot cup and 3/4oz of #9 shot and a thin over shot wad. I'm using a Savage 24 OU and they work well and extract easily. I have only fired a few 3 or 4 times but they look like they will last a long time.

444 Marlin are the easiest but they will only hold 1/2 oz of shot. 303 British are a more trouble to make and only hold 1/2 oz as well.

I'm quite happy with the converted 300 Win cases.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    For 410 from 300 win mag I start by turning off the belt and then a heavy anneal about half way to the base. Next I run them through a 45 acp sizer die. I have one that is large enough on top to allow the brass to come out the top without sizing down farther than 45 case size. This takes several steps of partial sizing, relubing, screwing the die down a few turns, resizing until I get the shell holder to touch the sizer die. This takes quite a bit of pressure when it gets to the head of the case. Then I use a series of homemade tapered m type expander mandrels to open the case mouth. I do two steps then re anneal and do two more steps to final size. Finally, because the rim is too thin, I drilled a hole length way through a piece of 3/4" cold roll that is a bit longer than the case that the case will fit through. I cut a 20 degree angle on the end of this piece and drop a case in it and tap the rim forward against the taper. This removes the excess head space. Looks a bit like a 7.62x54 rim when done.

I tried fire forming a few but lost a large % by either splitting the mouth or blowing it clear off. Cream of wheat wouldn't blow them out very well and a load of shot frequently removed the mouth end of the case.

I'm loading 15gr of 2400, a plastic 1/2 oz shot cup and 3/4oz of #9 shot and a thin over shot wad. I'm using a Savage 24 OU and they work well and extract easily. I have only fired a few 3 or 4 times but they look like they will last a long time.

444 Marlin are the easiest but they will only hold 1/2 oz of shot. 303 British are a more trouble to make and only hold 1/2 oz as well.

I'm quite happy with the converted 300 Win cases.
    Wow.

I think I'll stick with AA hulls, if I ever get the itch for brass 410 hulls I think I'll start with 444 brass, sounds a whole lot earlier.

Can't imagine doing that to get enough cases to shoot a couple lines of skeet.

Boolit Master
    The most difficult case forming I’ve ever done was turning 7mm rem. Mag. Cases into .458 Win. Mag. case. Through a LOT of trial & error a friend & I did it by annealing the case, fire forming it in his .338 Win mag, re annealing it, & fire forming it in my .458 Win. Mag. It worked.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Buddy
    .17/50 bmg

Quote Originally Posted by Frank V View Post
    The most difficult case forming I’ve ever done was turning 7mm rem. Mag. Cases into .458 Win. Mag. case. Through a LOT of trial & error a friend & I did it by annealing the case, fire forming it in his .338 Win mag, re annealing it, & fire forming it in my .458 Win. Mag. It worked.
    This was my journey down the 458 lane:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ng-458-Win-Mag

Hope this helps.

There's always the 22/378

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0501.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	314409
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    30-06 to 25-06. I have led a very sheltered life.
    me too (sheltered life) 303 Brit to 303 /22 falcon (the full length case) sounds easy -

This is an interesting round - in a late SMLE or a front locking action it snaps at the heels of the 220 swift - shades a 22/250 -----we had a 26 inch barrel , 60 grain match hollow points, that thing was king of the mountains on roos and feral dog way out yonder -

Boolit Man
    219 Donaldson wasp from 30-30s

After subsequent attempts at forming a 5.45mm case from .223 all resulting in failure, I have have finally swaged 5.45 cases out of some old .222 rems I was recently gifted. This should give me the drive I need for the bigger project of building a AIMS-74.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast