Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Hardest/most elaborate case conversion you did?

Boolit Buddy
    .30/06 to 8X57 mm star crimped blanks. This was before the dies were commercially available so had a custom star crimp insert made then converted/modified several 8X57 mm dies to do the steps needed. Then set up on a progressive press for commercial quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    .30/06 to 8X57 mm star crimped blanks. This was before the dies were commercially available so had a custom star crimp insert made then converted/modified several 8X57 mm dies to do the steps needed. Then set up on a progressive press for commercial quantities.
    There's a market for 8mm blanks?

Who woulda thunk?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    There's a market for 8mm blanks?

Who woulda thunk?
    WWi and WWII re-enactors and movie companies...

I made some 577/450 Martini-Henry cases from copper tubing and 20 gauge shot shell heads.
    It worked but never again.

Boolit Master
    50/45. after my first try I got it done, used 8m/m LEBEL.

Boolit Master
    frkelley74, thanks for the reply. I agree that it would be cost prohibitive! you would rely have to have a great amount of patiance to do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    7.65 French from 30 carbine. Drive case though .340 hole made in a piece of 1/2 inch steel. Chuck into drill press and clean up extractor groove and turn rim to .335 with file. Chop to .780". Trim to .775". Neck ream to a depth of .20 with .3125 reamer sharpened to reduce it to ~.311. Size in 32 ACP sizer, remove crimp ring from primer pocket, then load normally. Fire and watch hours of labor go spinning away.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Looks like a fun round.

Even like the name, kind of like the name of the road leading into Shanghai from the airport: English translation on the road sign was Long Dong Boulevard.
    I plead guilty to naming with humorous intent.

Most difficult, the 240 Laser, using cut off 243 Winchester dies. Start with a 280 case, make a false shoulder, that requires a tight bolt handle turn, fire form, one shot, with a hot load using 115 grain VLDs. If it does not form right, you must toss the brass and start over again. The shoulder is 40 degree and .100 longer than the Gibbs.
    The second is the 30 HARM a 25-20, with the case run through a cut off 25-20 sizer and a 30-20 sizer with a 308 expander, Then a Dan Wesson Super Mag frame gun with a Douglas Premium 10" barrel and a cylinder with the chambers, reamed and bushings inserted with black locktite and chambered. Had to make an extra long barrel nut wrench. This is the gun and cartridges. The 200 gr SAECO pictured on right would do 1,600 fps and shoot sub 1/2" groups, using 4227.
    By the time I finished this project, DW had sold to CZ and no more interest in the 30 cal rifle bullet revolver project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2C7725FE-AA93-47DA-A552-302093FDF324.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    The ONLY cartridge I've ever formed was 22 CHeetah Mk II from the Remington Benchrest Basic brass which was just very uniform 308 brass with a small primer pocket.

Since RCBS sold a die set already made up to do the conversion it wasn't too difficult but I did have a problem with cases buckling going into the 3rd form die, which also served as a Ream die once the case was inside. I got it to work by having an odd size outside neck turning pilot made for my Forester Trimmer to thin the necks prior to the 3rd die and it worked like a charm.

Once you use the 3 form dies and sawed off the excess neck then you made a pass through the regular FL die, loaded the case and fire formed.

I got worried that I'd not have enough of the cases as they were already out of production when I got the rifle (1988) so I bought up something like 1,400 of them. Being that 22 CHeetah barrel life is about that same number I've got more than enough for life even if the cases don't last very many loads each. And cases DO have a good life by the way.

Boolit Master
    I wrote up my conversion of .240 Weatherby Magnum cases to .236 Lee Navy a ways back in this section.

Almost as hard and elaborate, and (as it turned out) more costly, was the conversion of .348 Winchester cases to .44-77 Sharps&Remington. I cracked my CH-4D FLS die performing that stunt, and had to get another, at no small cost (about what the full set went for, just a few years ago).

But I took a piece of 1/2” steel plate, bored and threaded an undersize 7/8”x14tpi hole in the center, put the cracked die in the freezer overnight, heated the plate good and hot the next day and burned the chilled die into the hole up to the top of the crack. The die and plate now work fine for the final case forming step in my Harbor Freight hydraulic press and, with all the extra metal around it, that crack is going to stay shut, no matter what gets smunched into there. I won’t have to use the new sizing die for anything but full length sizing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Elaborate step process: Converting 22 Hornet's to 25 Stevens
    Can you elaborate

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone "
    30-06 to 240 Weatherby Magnum.
    "This conversion is really not that difficult with the proper dies.

Decades ago GONRA wondered if anybody actually / really did this! Guess So!

"CH4D can supply the belt forming die which will create the basic 240 Weatherby belted-head on an ‘06 casing (or anything similar) in a single pass with a good, heavy press... The necking down operations can be simplified by using the 25-06 casing, although the 30-06 and 270 are certainly “doable”."

>>> "Hope you guys wear yer safety glasses! !!!! <<<

Looks/ Eyeballs GREAT - but is the head gonna hold up? ???

In order:
    8 x 22mm Nambu from .40 S&W.
    7.65 x 20mm French Long from 32 S&W Long.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post
    Can you elaborate
    John Boy passed away recently. However, I too convert .22 Hornet to .25 Stevens, both rimfire and centerfire. I've put together detailed instructions with photos. If interested, PM me with your email. I'll send them in .pdf format.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 25 Stevens RF__CF.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    9.3x72R to 6.5x58R Sauer plus swaging .264 bullets to .260 for it.

left to right 243 Win - 6.5x58R Sauer - 9.3x72R
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6v77Cn.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	307009

Boolit Master
    All -

I have done a variety of wildcats, but so far have only had 3 chambered; and one that shoots in a factory chambering.

-.35 Remington necked-down to .224" cal, for an incredible anti-groundhog round. Form w/ custom RCBS case forming die set, which included inside neck reamer & " die ". This was my first wildcat, first fired back in 1977. Set up rifle to shoot 55grainers.

- .357AutoMag expanded out to full .358" calibre; to allow use of .358" cal rifle bullets.

- " DEEP 6 ".... which is formed from 7 X 64 Brenneke for a base diam of .466" nominal. The chamber is cut by running a
    6mm Remington reamer in " short "; for a wildcat case w/ .466" base diam. Case capacity = 51.2gr H2O

- " .35 Remington neckless " = .35Rem case w/ neck removed, shoulder formed for a .311" case mouth ID. This wildcat is used to shoot .35" cal swaged lead re-bated boat tail spitzers; that are plastic tipped. The boolits are taken from pre-packaged .45" cal muzzle loader saboted rounds. I patch w/ nylon DYMO label maker tape. After firing, the case mouth only needs a slight tamping back to .311" calibre; as the rebated BT on the bullet is .308" OD at its widest point.

I'll try to send some pics, in a bit......

Regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master
    32 extra long from .223 brass.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    32 extra long from .223 brass.

Tim
    Just FYI, They are much easier to make from 327 magnum brass. I've made a lot of them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Just FYI, They are much easier to make from 327 magnum brass. I've made a lot of them.
    Yeah, I make .327 mag. from .223 too. Free brass vs. expensive brass. I have not made many, mostly just for fun.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast