Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Flat Top 44 Special loading

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger Flat Top 44 Special loading

I've got a Ruger Flat Top Bisley in 44 Special that was a Lipsey special run. I'm new to loading the 44 Special and have read for days on the strength of the smaller framed Blackhawks but have yet to find a consensus on what level loading are appropriate for this frame and cylinder.

I've looked back at Brian Pearce's article showing level 1,2,3 loadings and it seems the later generation SAA are ok with level 2 loads and the FT is stronger than the SAA. He was able to push a 245 gr Keith out at 1000 to almost 1200 fps. If I can get to that, I think I'd have, arguably, the best packing pistol. Similar to Keith's original #5 before he went to the 4" N Frame 44 Mag.

I'd probably stick to 2400 as I have plenty or even IMR4227.

The level 1 loads are <15.5K PSI
    The level 2 loads are <22k PSI
    The level 3 loads are <25K PSI

If I can get good accuracy in the 950-1050 fps area, I'd be happy as a clam. Seems this is doable at level 2 loadings.

Is the Ruger FT small frame Lipsey anniversary guns able to digest the level 3 loadings?

I did find Brian Pearce's article on the FT 44 Special with accompanying load data. My velocity target seems to be quite easy to reach with the correct powder.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 12-18-2017 at 04:14 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine shoots so well with Skeeter Loads, I haven't done much else with it. At least not with heavy loads. A 429-421 over 7.5 grains of Unique shoots extremely well. I have also used 8.0 grains of Power Pistol under the same boolit.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I was just shooting my colt 3rd generation 44 special New Frontier 7 1/2”. Lyman 45th edition used a Colt SAA for its 44 special data. Skeeter’s load of unique and 950 FPS does about everything I need even out to 200 yard shooting. It also publishes the kieth load with 2400 which gets into the 1150 FPS range. I would probably only use those for dear hunting even though the skeeter load of 950 FPS is more than adequate. In short, I can enjoy the skeeter load for much longer than the kieth load shooting a plow handle grip frame. Kieth had a reason for using a bisley grip frame and later using a double action smith grip frame. They absorb recoil much better.

I believe Your ruger has a 5 1/2 barrel. Truth be told, Your probably going to enjoy 750 FPS loads for plinking of which I am loading with 700x. I can shoot those all day long with a smile and one handed.
    Last edited by smkummer; 12-18-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    I had one and liked it but later like something else better. Yes you can run run 25,000 PSI in them okay. If I wanted 1100 or better I would use a chrono and start at enough 2400 to get around 1100 and work up till I hit what Pierce got using 2400. It may take slightly more or slightly less. In mine I hit 1150 with a H&G 503.
    A good easy load is the same bullet powered by enough PowerPistol to get in the 1000 fps range.
    I would post my charge weights but I am under the eye of the load data police and cannot. Even though they are not as high as you will see listed.
    My PowerPistol charge weight duplicated Buffalo Bore 44 Special velocity.
    You have a nice gun and hope you enjoy it. I now like my M69's in 44 Mag with a 2.75 inch barrel and the 4.2 inch barrel better.

429421 over 8.0 of power pistol. Over 900 fps at level 1. My standard load in all .44 specials and it does not disappoint. Very accurate.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Those mid frame Ruger single actions are very strong in .44 Special. Elmer's #5 is a Colt. Many of the .44 Associates used Colts back in the 1930s through and beyond the introduction of the .44 Mag. As you mentioned, this gun is a bit stronger than a Colt. Getting 1150-1200 fps. with a 250 grain and slow burning powder should not be a problem. The gun can take more than I want to shoot.
    Rule 303

Boolit Buddy
    I have the same Ruger Flattop, 5.5" barrel and I have had excellent results using Unique, Power Pistol, 2400 and HS6. Since you are asking about 2400 here is my experience. Standard load from Alliant is 13grs which gives me an avg of 986fps (BTW this duplicates my loading of 8.2grs of Power Pistol which Brian Pierce says is also within the pressure limitations of the 44Spec). These loads are accurate in mine and I think you will be most happy with them. Bullets used were Lyman 429421 and Miha's clone of the H&G503, sized to .430 and a bhn of 11 - 12.

I'm right there with you guys on the Mihec H&G503, and I also have the same gun (4 5/8) however I'm back at 6.0 gr of W231 for about 800 fps.. I use the same load for my S&W696 and get about 750 out of the 3" bbl.

This load will knock down the 200 Meter Rams at the silhouette shoot. I actually hit one once in a while!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have one of those Lipsey Bisley FT .44 specials w/5.5 bbl.. Mine is extremely accurate.

I went for pure enjoyment with the Lyman#4292421 over 5.5 of WST. I haven't checked the speed with my chrony yet, but I figure it's around 800. Recoil is modest & the chickens fall frequently @ 50 & same for the pigs @ 100.

I don't enjoy recoil.

Henry
    Last edited by oldhenry; 12-18-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had my Flattop 44 Special for almost three years now and so far have only shot Keith's three 429421 loads in mine. They are the 429421 bullet with either, 5 grains Bullseye, 7.5 grains Unique, or 17.5 grains of 2400. Mine handles them all well and shoots all three accurately.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Vendor Sponsor

The medium frame 45s are good to 23,000psi, so the thicker cylinder of the 44 should be good to 25,000psi all day.

I have a medium framed Vaquero that I reamed to 45 Schofield, and using QuickLoad I was able to get a LBT 250gr WFN to 1200fps and still stay under the 23,000psi ceiling.

Probably won't find a whole lot of 44 Spl data that goes to 25,000psi but you can get that one right to the doorstep of the 44 magnum.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    I stopped by the LGS today and they had a couple of the Lipsey 44 Special Bisleys. The 4 5/8” came home with me. .431” Plug Gage just fits in the chamber throats.

Over the years I have had a love/hate relationship with the various Ruger Single Actions. My last one was a 44 Bisley Hunter. I traded it off because it just rapped the dickens out of my middle finger knuckle. That having been said, I REALLY like these Bisleys. I just couldn’t pass this one up, especially at $540 OTD.

It will be after Christmas before I will have a chance to take it to the range. My last range trip I had some Mihec #503 loaded over 4.5gr Bullseye, which were very accurate in my 4” Model 24-3. I figure that load will be fun in the Bisley without the knuckle-smashing. It should be fine with the Skeeter load, too.

As to strength, I would feel perfectly comfortable working up to Keith’s 17.5gr 2400 behind the #503 Mihec, keeping in mind the difference between the OLD 2400 and the slightly faster newer version. This is a stout gun and my comfort level would be exceeded long before reaching the Bisley’s safe limits.

Vendor Sponsor

Just a fyi fwiw.... Of all the Ruger revolvers, the Bisley model has the closest measurement from the rear of the trigger guard to the front of the grip strap, which puts that piece that punishes that middle knuckle, closest to that middle knuckle. The farthest away (with the most clearance) are the SBH and SBH Hunter models.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I have had the rapped knuckle myself. I soon learned that a couple band aids was just the thing. It doesn't take long to get smart. My FTBH 44 Special had the Bisley grip. As I said Band-Aids are the rapped knuckle friend.

Vendor Sponsor

I keep a roll of this self adhering bandage material in my range box. It is mandatory for the heavy magnum loads. Two turns around that middle knuckle and can shoot all day!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I have had the rapped knuckle myself. I soon learned that a couple band aids was just the thing. It doesn't take long to get smart. My FTBH 44 Special had the Bisley grip. As I said Band-Aids are the rapped knuckle friend.
    Yeah, but SOME of us get smart LATER than others Great idea on the Band-Aids.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I keep a roll of this self adhering bandage material in my range box. It is mandatory for the heavy magnum loads. Two turns around that middle knuckle and can shoot all day!

Thanks, Doug! I like that idea as well.

I bought my first Ruger SA in 1970, a 4 5/8" .357 Blackhawk. Two chamber mouths were .357 and the rest were .358. It was a good teacher, and it got traded off on my first .38/44 Outdoorsman. Back then I was young with a growing family and had to sell one to get one, so to speak.

Since then, I’ve had a couple dozen Ruger SA’s and a couple of Colts; all eventually found new homes. I found it is easier for me to shoot the S&W accurately than the various Ruger SA’s. But, I still LIKE the Rugers.

I think this Bisley Flat Top will find a good home with the 24-3 that is a favorite. Most loads will be mild, and if I need something bigger, I can rely on my 629-4 Magnum Hunter Plus.

As I am getting older I find the milder loads to be more fun.

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. And Merry Christmas!

Thanks Doug Guy, I've shot big bore handguns for 50+ years and never gave your bandaging idea a thought....I'll try it manana! Even Skeeter's old load can be tough with a standard gripped SA, for a full box of loads. Thanks again.

BoneDoc, I've had great results with Brian Pearce's loads from the article you've quoted. My own trials with H&G 503 design and Win 231 have given me 1150 fps with no undue pressure signs, but my favorite, a duplicate of Skelton's famous 7.5 gr of Unique, is 6.5 grains of Win 231 for a chrono'd 980 fps and 1.5" gps at 25 yds from a sitting back rested position. Both loads are superb from a SS flat top Ruger 4-5/8" as well as a blued one in the same barrel length, and a 5-1/2" bbl'd model too. It's my go-to load for any .44 caliber handgun, magnum or special. BTW, I size to 0.431" and cast with WW and <1% tin.

I've had equally good results using the same powder charges with Lyman's 429215GC and 429244GC, sized 0.431" and cast from wheel weights + a pinch of tin for fill out. (Sizing these to 0.432" makes them perfect for my Marlin M336 .44 Magnum...~1"+ over iron sights at 50 yds.

As always, with the loads listed above, you should consult a good manual, consider the pressure implications and the condition of your handgun before working up to them.

HTH's Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 12-20-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    Had the standard grip frame model in 5.5". The Skeeter load was fine, but the Keith Load (2400) would bang my knuckle. Then I shot a friend's Bisley 5.5. The Keith load was very comfortable. If I was going to get another Flat Top in 44 Special, it would be the Bisley.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the Lipseys 5.5" and it is scary accurate. I feed it 7.5gr. Unique behind a NOE 432265 solid OR one of Miha's H&G copy with penta-point. All cast with 20 to 1 and powder coated with Carolina blue. I was getting slight leading due to the boolits being only 9 BHN. After PC I can drive them with Elmers load and get NO leading and great accuracy. For plinking and paper I shoot the NOE ahead of 5.7grs. 452AA. Meters well, super clean and groups in one inch at 25 yds.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast