Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: 28 gauge foster slugs??

Boolit Bub

28 gauge foster slugs??

anyone make them ? know where I could lay my hands on some?
    Thanks in advance
    Roy

Don't know of any genuine foster slugs for 28 gauge but Ballistic Products 28ga light game slug may be an alternative you can use.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by C A Plater View Post
    Don't know of any genuine foster slugs for 28 gauge but Ballistic Products 28ga light game slug may be an alternative you can use.
    I am loading a round ball now. we were discussing 28 ga.slugs over on another forum. I figure if anyone was making them someone on this forum would . (I've been lurking for a while)
    Actually Have 2 different rb loads 1 that is a .490 rb in a shot cup with hand punched cork wads in the cup for filler
    and the latest experiment is a .530 rb with the gas seal cut off a winchester wad and 1/4 cork wads stack for filler I am loading with a lee loader (no press) both will do 4" groups at 40 yards I chronographed some this spring @1100 f.p.s. but have stepped them up another notch since then I'm using bluedot powder
    At least 3 or 4 of us would be interested in 28 ga fosters maybe more
    Roy

Boolit Master
    Have you considered using a modified Lyman 1-Cavity #542622 54 Caliber (542 Diameter) 425 Grain Minie Ball bullet mold? It's a .008" under the nominal 28 gauge bore diameter, and one could have a new base plug machined to lighten the projectile and make it more nose heavy.

John

Boolit Buddy
    It sounds like the 54 miniball route will be the cheapest route. If the slug is a bit undersized, you might consider paper patching. ....

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackleback View Post
    It sounds like the 54 miniball route will be the cheapest route. If the slug is a bit undersized, you might consider paper patching. ....
    Unless it was A deep hollow base I doubt it would be weight forward enough to fly decent out of a smooth bore
    I have been working on round ball loads .490 round ball in a shot cup with cork wads filling the cup to bring the ball up to the top .
    I have some supplies on order from bpi once they get here I'm going to try some .530 round balls
    I mainly want something to thump a yote if he is messing with my beagles
    I hunt with single shot 28 gauge H&R youth gun with adult choate stock and survivor forearm I weighs a tick less than 5pounds and is 38 inches long
    I just thought that if anyone was making them someone here would know about it
    thanks for the suggestions
    Roy

Well, I suppose if your not willing to have a custom mold cut and you only need a few you could always make yourself up some of the old fashioned "thumper slugs" Basically what you do is take an old choke tube with a tight constriction (full choke works good) put a shot wad inside it -- fill up the shot wad with lead shot to the top of the petals and then pore in some epoxy -- not the cheapo stuff the good stuff that isn't so brittle. Whe the epoxy is set but not completely cured you pound out the whole unit with a length of wooden dowel and mallet. what you end up with is a slug made from a wad that is nose heavy and that will hold together until it hits something at which point it acts like a fragmenting round. This works best with wads that have a very stiff cusion section like the Federal "S" series wads. Done it myself more then once for the bigger guages but casting is much quicker -- takes about fifteen minutes to make each slug even with quick set epoxy otherwise.