Wideners
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 44-40 Stub job

Boolit Master
    Very nice!

How about a tang-mounted peep sight?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I am blessed with a machinist brother who turned the barrel blank to my specs and rough chambered it on a lathe. The rest was done by me with hand tools. When I retire I hope to get a mill and a lathe- I have a teacher lined up! I just hope it's accurate- I've got to find out.
    I was just re-reading this thread and basically you just cut down the barrel, and had the barrel of your choice that would fit machined to fit into the 12 gauge stub, epoxied it in, then made a new extractor, and shortened the spring? In a nutshell?

Because there are a lot of 12 gauge H&R rifles for sale locally...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly right except I used a H&R factory .410 extractor. I've always liked single shot shotguns but now I'm looking at them differently. Firing pin size is something to observe- the Topper size is perfect. Some other brands may have too large of a firing pin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    On second thought I think I’ll pick up a 12 ga Topper and think about which calibers seem interesting...I think I can do it! Thanks for the thread! You really got the gears turning!

Any cartridge with less pressure than a 30-30 will work in a Topper. Factory chamberings before the NEF/H&R Handi Rifles came out included .22 Jet, .22 Hornet, 30-30, .357&.44 mag, and 45-70. If the Hornet has higher pressure than the .44 mag, it still works because the small case head transfers less force to the standing breech.
    I think the old 490 Jr. Topper with the contoured barrel would make a sweet .357/.38 Special.

Attachment 219738Attachment 219739Here's a topper 20 ga. that has the small firing pin frame that I made in to a 375 Win.
    I used a Win 94 barrel that was pre chambered in 375 that were available thru Numrich and turned it to fit as a liner barrel. Used a 30-30 ejector and epoxied the liner in using a 375 Win brass to set the headspace as the chamber was cut for the lever gun bolt holding the cartridge by the rim and butting up to the barrel face.
    I don't load it to the top pressures of the 375 Win with jacketed bullets, it's used with the Lee 250 gr. cast loaded to 38-55 pressures.
    It's a nice light , handi rifle that H&R never made as a factory chambering but was quite simple to put together.

Sorry for the upside down and sideways pics, someday I will learn what I am doing !
    The Win 94 barrel will also take the 2.080 length 38-55 brass.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 05-02-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: forgot the pics ?

That is very nice, Jedman. Your advice was a great help on my project. Did you have to Bush the muzzle end of the Winchester Barrel inside of the shotgun barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That is very nice, Jedman. Your advice was a great help on my project. Did you have to Bush the muzzle end of the Winchester Barrel inside of the shotgun barrel?

No, It was almost the perfect size except it did have a sight ramp that was solder on.
    A friend bought the barrel to try to switch it for the 30-30 barrel on his 94 AE model rifle but found the 30-30 had a smaller barrel shank and decided to leave it be. I bought it from him and found it was a good match to the 20 ga. barrel.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Yeah I’m interested in .38-55, .25-20, .256 win mag, and .357...41 mag looks cool too.

I know that a 256 is on my "in my spare time" stub list. As to sights I keep thinking that older steel Lyman milled to fit would just be handier than a pocket on a shirt for one of these. So far I've just been lazy and dropped k2.5 or 3s on mine.

I am leaning towards receiver sights for the longer sight radius. I'd love to find an old Redding Shotgun Peep for it- the radius might match the barrel.

KLR- thanks for the suggestion but there's no tang so the sight would have to mount to wood.
    Besides that, I've never liked tang sights; they are in the way for me and my fat thumb. I'm going to peruse the huge Numrich catalog today and see what I can find.

Looking spiffy TBG! How about a scope? I'd use a Weaver 92 base. I have an example I can send of picture of if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by map55b View Post
    Looking spiffy TBG! How about a scope? I'd use a Weaver 92 base. I have an example I can send of picture of if you want.
    Thanks, map! Yes, please on the pic. It finished at 7 lbs even and if I mount a scope I want backup irons anyway. By some miracle my eyesight is still 20/20 so I'm thinking open sights will be fine for up to 100 yards for me.

Texas, if you want to use the easy button for peep sights this is it.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...aluminum-black

They fit the standard hole spacing for the h&r scope base too and mount in the rear two holes. If you have to drill and tap anyway why not do it all at the same time. I've put this Williams on a couple of mine and they work well.

I'm looking hard at those wgrs.
    This is a Redding I borrowed from my Nylon 66 just to see. I would need to file the bottom edge to square it before d&t but it's doable.
    These are good all steel sights; I wish I could find more of them.

I was looking on eBay and there is a folding sight listed for Ruger 10-22 or 44 carbines that has a peep hole instead of a V notch, item no. 191800144797. You would need to cut a dovetail to mount it.
    For the front sight I think your going to need a ramp to get the sight high enough. If you need one I have several in my old sight parts box and would send you one if that would work ?
    I wish I had 20-20 vision ! the last 10 years my eyesight seems to get worse weekly.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 05-05-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Here's a couple quick shots for you TBG. A three barrel combo: 7x57R, 225 Win, and 22K Hornet This was built by my friend Bill and mentor. It needs a little TLC as it was improperly stored for years. Guess I should get after that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by map55b View Post
    Here's a couple quick shots for you TBG. A three barrel combo: 7x57R, 225 Win, and 22K Hornet This was built by my friend Bill and mentor. It needs a little TLC as it was improperly stored for years. Guess I should get after that.

That’s nice...

Thanks, mapp55b! That's very nice. Mice to Moose- that'll cover it.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast