Inline FabricationRepackboxPBcastcoTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 44-40 Stub job

One of these days I'll not pull one out of the group. Maybe. This is 100 yards and that faded targdot was tiny! 215gr over 9 grains of Unique. Still M.O.D/P I think!
    3 shots- hand for reference

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    One of these days I'll not pull one out of the group. Maybe. This is 100 yards and that faded targdot was tiny! 215gr over 9 grains of Unique. Still M.O.D/P I think!
    3 shots- hand for reference

It is not going to be easy to not pull at least one, ask me how I know after nearly 1,000 targets documented. "Grouping" has always fascinated me on how many one needs to group in order to call it good. Well, if you are shooting for food, it's always that first shot that counts....you know.....the one that is always called "the fouling shot" on a paper target that is never in the center.....lol!

I put a hole like that in my yard wagon once, it was not intentional...LOL!!!!

If you want to know just how good the loads are, group ten shot groups

If you really want to see how good a load is, shoot 10 3 shot groups on 10 different targets and over lap them when done and see how all 30 grouped.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Here are several 100-yard, ten-shot groups shot with my Marlin 1893S .44-40 Microgroove carbine made in 1993 using XS ghost ring iron sights. These pictures show what the Marlin Microgroove rifles are capable of when shot carefully off sandbags with loads which "work." Amazingly, even black powder loads with SPG lube grouped very acceptably for hunting use in the Microgroove barrel for 20 consecutive shots without wiping or blow tubing, using 33 grs. of Goex 3Fg and the Accurate 43-230EB bullet, as well as my Spanish El Tigre with its deep conventional rifling.

Attachment 264335Attachment 264336Attachment 264337

My mentor the late Frank Marshall, Jr. always liked to say, "there is no such thing as 'lucky' ten-shot groups"
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Absolutely Outpost!!

That is about the best I can do as well. I have settled on my best normals to be inside 4" at 100 yards with a rifle with rifle powders and all inside 4" at 10-25 yards from a revolver with pistol powders.

Reloder 7, Normal load, Uberti Winchester 73'
    Attachment 264344

Here are John Korts black powder loads
    Attachment 264345Attachment 264346
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 07-02-2020 at 04:56 PM.

I'll give it a try and see where ten end up. I'm still intending to try the Lee TL429240swc that shot so well in the Rossi I had. I know why you two guys like the .44WCF so much!

I'll give it a try and see where ten end up. I'm still intending to try the Lee TL429240swc that shot so well in the Rossi I had. I know why you two guys like the .44WCF so much!

The most versatile cartridge out there!!!

Doing some rustic plinking at 100 yards. The group on the left is the TL240swc over 6.8 grs of Unique and the group on the right is a ( cough) 200gr JHP over 9.5 grs of Unique. The higher velocity load shoots much lower than I thought it would. The 240s surprisingly hit poa @ 100yds like my usual 220gr. RFN cast that are faster. Minute of venison, I think.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I've decided to put a scope on it, so I drilled and tapped it for a #62 Weaver base. I had to remove the peep aperture arm and used high rings to clear the Topper hammer. I sort of bore sighted it at dusk and thought a quick offhand shot at 10 yards would tell me how far I might have to move the scope. Okay.....
    "Time to eat, put the gun up before you ruin the moment"!

Boolit Master

Looking good! Can't wait to see it make meat!

Boolit Master

Looks like it will take some adjustment when you back off to 50 yards or more. Will probably shoot high, the high mount and close range will be off a bit at longer range, assuming that blue dot was the aim point. Would be better to hit 1/2 to 3/4 inch low at 10 yards.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

You called it, Ulav8r. I tried 3 at 40 yards( in a hurry) hopefully I'll have time to dial it in tomorrow between honeydoos......

To the hunt!
    I'm going on an antlerless deer control hunt this Saturday and this little fella will be along.
    My other Cast Boolits inspired rifles will attend as well. 30-30 Mauser, 30-40 Krag, and 38-55 Winchester. My cousins want to see them!
    I will admit that the 30-30 will have long range 125gr Nosler BT's along with cast- in case I have to shoot farther than 100yds

Boolit Buddy
    Well??? You can't keep us in suspense!

I ended up carrying the ultra modern 30-30 for its long range capabilities- and used it at 80 yards......

Boolit Master
    I ended up carrying the ultra modern 30-30 for its long range capabilities- and used it at 80 yards......

Nice deer - Hill Country?

Near Lake Coleman so a little NW of hill country proper. I'm planning on going again in February, perhaps it will be cooler then.

Boolit Buddy
    What load are you using with the 125 nbt for the 30-30? I have an h&r that i have been thinking of using them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Milsurp Junkie View Post
    What load are you using with the 125 nbt for the 30-30? I have an h&r that i have been thinking of using them in.
    I sent you a PM.

Well, I finally got a chance at a hog with the subject gun of this old thread. The 44-40 with 205gr .429” Lee fn over 9.5 grs of Unique works on a medium size sow at roughly 100 yards. DRT in the water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That’s awesome! I still want to do this one day! My most recent H&R acquisition was a never fired 20 ga still in the box, and I just can’t cut it up…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast