Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: MiHec 45-270 SAA First Year Results

MiHec 45-270 SAA First Year Results

It has been a full year since I started playing and working with this mold. Mostly with the Large HP version,, mostly cause I think it is PURDY. But second because it has proven to work from super compact pocket gun to long barreled hunting guns. The alloy for all that I have settled on so far is approx 20/80 WW/Pure Lead and added 1# 50/50 solder fer smoother casting.

First thing I worked with was the Bond 45 Colt Derringer w/2.5" barrel. Using 6.0 grains Red Dot, and clocking 685 fps able to shoot pop cans at 15 yards and a tad further consistently. I tested all these in fresh packed yellow Ohio Clay, and been pretty wet, should work for up close and personal defensive protection fer every day carry.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.0-grn.-_R.D.-270-_Milec.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	207701

Next since I was having trouble finding anything accurate in my 45 Colt Ruger Bisley using Unique and WW-231, under 1000 fps, I decided to try the boolits in my Omega M/L, I started with 70 80 and 90 grain volume charge with Blackhorn 209, using a Black Harvestor crush rib sabott @ 50 yards. After looking like one exact hole with the 90 grain charge I went to 100 yards and tried that again. The first four shots were in 5/8" with the top right cutting 2 shots, and as soon I fired the 5th shot I told my buddy I screwed up and wasn't ready when I fired. After I looked back thru the scope I seen the hole high and left in the group. So I went to use the bathroom and came back and told him I hated to ruin a five shot group but new the last shot was me. So I went ahead and fired one more shot, it's the double shot in the the lower left hole.

Name:	Omega with 275 cast HP.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	207708
    I have not recovered a bullet, but I know how well pure lead performed with the Great Plains Hornady in my old 50 with a 100 grain charge, I think these will drop em in there tracks as well.

This brings me back to the Ruger 5 1/2" Bisley, even though these old eyes are not the help they used to be, I still like hunting with a revolver. So as I am very bullheaded I decided to try again, and as before the WW-231 proved to be mediocre with this bullet in this gun. Then I thought,, I had pretty good results in the Derringer with Red Dot, and have used a lot with lighter cast in the Colt. So after a trip to the range yesterday with 6.5 grains I come up with this, 1 1/2" group for 5 shots, and recovered 3 of them from the damp clay backstop that didn't hit rocks, I am going to load 7.0 7.5 and 8.0 grains before I say good enough, but if this is as good as it gets,, I can live with this. All recovered bullets weighted over 263 grains, they started at 267 grains as cast, and opened up to over .900".

Name:	20171114_094823[1].jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	207711

I hope to use this setup to bleed this bullet in two weeks when our deer gun season opens,,, I think even with these old eyes if I can get em within 50 yards,, there freezer meat, I just hope I can recover the slug and post them results here! Time will tell, but this is proving a very good choice in multiple weapons. Sorry about the c-phone pic,,,

Name:	20171114_095949[1].jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	207712
    Last edited by wildcatter; 11-14-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Some of this molds are still available in my web shop

https://mp-molds.com/e-shop
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Buddy
    Love this bullet. This is recovered from a quartering away finishing shot through the chest on an elk a couple years agoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-05-08 23.55.31.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	261825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-05-08 23.56.47.jpg 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	261826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-05-08 23.58.07.jpg 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	261827

Medium HP cast with air cooled 50/50 pb/ww with 2% tin and loaded to about 1050. Gives me consistent 2-3" groups at 25 with an occasional 1-1.5. I have noticed that it is skidding a bit with the soft alloy but no leading and groups like that, I'll stick with it. PC is giving similar results, so I think I might have found my forever load....
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"