MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Quality of 22 rimfire barrel liners

Quality of 22 rimfire barrel liners

I have 2 rimfire rifles that need relined and intend to do the job myself.
    After checking around I have found 3 inexpensive brands of liners for sale.
    There is the Redmans, Callahan, and Numrich sells one without a name that is a little less cost.
    Do any of you that have had rifles relined or use any of these have a opinion on which is best ? They are all within a $ 10.00 price range from low to high so I would like to get the best one.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Have done several 22 RF liners. Used the one from Brownells, got the liner and drill from them. Had to make the drill longer by adding an extension to the drill. Drilled from both ends and used the glass bedding epoxy to glue in the liner. Tried to use the hand drill but did not work very well, finally did the drill operation in my lathe with out any difficulty. All shot good after the liner installation. The epoxy works well if the mixed epoxy is kept cold by putting mixed epoxy container in crushed ice in another container.
    Will use the green Locktight on the next liner glue job. Have read the green Locktight works very well for holding the liner in the barrel.
    The liners were installed in older bolt action rifles that were got cheap at pawn shops.
    Several of the rifles were missing the magazine and therefore were low in cost. Found the magazines at other places.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    I have 2 rimfire rifles that need relined and intend to do the job myself.
    After checking around I have found 3 inexpensive brands of liners for sale.
    There is the Redmans, Callahan, and Numrich sells one without a name that is a little less cost.
    Do any of you that have had rifles relined or use any of these have a opinion on which is best ? They are all within a $ 10.00 price range from low to high so I would like to get the best one.

Jedman
    I have only used the Redman liners from Brownells, they are top quality.

I have used Redman liners.....decent quality for the money ( normally I remaxhine an Anschutz barrel to fit the gun) used green loctite....bead blasted the liner(to give the loctite something to bite on), clean the grease and oil off very clean is a must, .002 to .003 maximum clearance for the green loctite to set up properly.....remember with a match reamer.....

Keep us posted on how your liner comes out

Aaron

In Remembrance

Redmans are the way to go. Cost a little more but much better quality IMHO.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

I ordered 2 of the Redmans liners today from Brownells. I am working on getting a drill ground thru a friend who works at a tool and die shop he is going to grind the pilot for me.

Jedman

Boolit Master

Redmans liners are made from 4130 aircraft steel and button rifled. T.J.'s liners are made from the same steel but hammer forged. I have done more than a few liner jobs and prefer the hammer forged liners. The liners do not need to be sand blasted, I use brake clean to get oil off and clean the bore of the barrel. The piloted drills sold by Brownells will make the hole a little larger than I want so I drill undersize and then use a reamer to get a close fit, looking for .002" clearance. I have been using red loctite 262 for about 20 years and never had one come loose.

Thanks to all who have replied. Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Is TO liners still in operation and any one have contact info

also check on the twist rate for the cartridge you will be using - some of the Numrich ones do not specify + i heard that some were for .22 short or 22wmrf -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin