Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee's 1 1/4x12 threads??

Lee's 1 1/4x12 threads??

I'm looking at getting a set of dies for 577/450 soon (and a gun to go with them) it seems as the only offering of these are in 1 1/4x12 thread of which can ONLY be used in a lee press...of which I do not have nor feel the need to obtain one as I have already several Rock chuckers and a RCBS 50 BMG press that fills my needs. I DON'T WANT A LEE PRESS! An adapter to the larger RCBS threading would only be about 1/8" thick which I don't think would work very well. What have others done with this situation? adapters/ ideas? I'm just trying to avoid getting a LEE press. RCBS makes all sorts of adapters but non from the 1 1/4 to the 1 1/2
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Sounds to me like you only have one option. The hole in the top of a Lee Classic cast press is the same as the hole in the top of a RC, so I don't see a problem here. Get yourself and adapter and problem solved. If you can't buy one, find a machinist to make you one. C&H would probably be more than willing to help you.

If that option doesn't work, well, there is another option, but it involves seeing Red.....

Dave

I can make one, I have a lathe but I'm looking at wall thickness on it. and what do you mean by "The hole in the top of a Lee Classic cast press is the same as the hole in the top of a RC"? its 1 1/4 vs 1 1/2
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    You don't say WHY you don't want a new Lee press. Too "cheap"??? Of course you must know it's totally made in the US of railroad steel and on modern CNC equipment.

And the much more expensive RCBS presses are made from good, strong (?) Chinese iron castings?

Boolit Master

Wonderwolf, are you sure about your RCBS press. Mine has the 11/4" with the adapter removed and the lee dies screw right in.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Do you really need a set of 450/577 dies? Most of the rifles have rather generous grooves and you may find that you never have to size a die and are better off shooting them as fire formed. Just a thought.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Moderator Emeritus
    The RCBS bushing for ordinary dies just screws out and the Lee 577/450 dies just screw straight in.

It work on my Rockchucker, the Redding Ultramag is the same.

Thats the how the Hornady L-n-L bushings work as well.

So shouldn't be a problem.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

1hole You don't say WHY you don't want a new Lee press. Because I already have enough reloading presses, about 4 Rockchuckers, 1 turret lyman and my RCBS 50 BMG

JeffinNZ Do you really need a set of 450/577 dies? Most of the rifles have rather generous grooves and you may find that you never have to size a die and are better off shooting them as fire formed. Just a thought. I'm going to be making my brass so yes I need a set of dies. after they are formed then I might consider just loading them as is if they are deemed ok

dromia The RCBS bushing for ordinary dies just screws out and the Lee 577/450 dies just screw straight in.

It work on my Rockchucker, the Redding Ultramag is the same.

Thats the how the Hornady L-n-L bushings work as well.

So shouldn't be a problem.
    I thought the base threading was 1 1/2" under the 7/8" bushing. Few here have steered me in the wrong direction so I'll go ahead and order dies and a rifle this weekend
    My firearms project blog

opps thought what I said was so good I posted it twice, sorry about that
    My firearms project blog

Super Moderator

................Yo may find the dies resizing the casenecks down too much. I had a set of dies for the 577-450 from CH-4D and they resized the necks to hold a .458" slug. I have a MkIV Martini, and that's way too much. The original slug was .470"/.472" over the Paper patch. I now have a set of Lee dies also, for the British military cartridge.

CH-4D was easy to deal with when contacted and to set the 2 dies back along with the boolit I was using, and a couple fired cases and they'd take care of it. I didn't want to mess with that (the wait and all). I bought a Lee 458 Win Mag size die and cut the base off to shortern it up. The .458 Win Mag (when shortened) will do a superb job of sizing the neck down to just what a person needs. Actually the top half of the caseneck.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ................Yo may find the dies resizing the casenecks down too much. I had a set of dies for the 577-450 from CH-4D and they resized the necks to hold a .458" slug. I have a MkIV Martini, and that's way too much. The original slug was .470"/.472" over the Paper patch. I now have a set of Lee dies also, for the British military cartridge.

CH-4D was easy to deal with when contacted and to set the 2 dies back along with the boolit I was using, and a couple fired cases and they'd take care of it. I didn't want to mess with that (the wait and all). I bought a Lee 458 Win Mag size die and cut the base off to shortern it up. The .458 Win Mag (when shortened) will do a superb job of sizing the neck down to just what a person needs. Actually the top half of the caseneck.

...............Buckshot
    That works pretty well unless you are useing CBC and Bertam. Different case thickness.

Bob

hmmm some interesting points. This seems as if it will have some trial and error when I get to it.
    My firearms project blog

Moderator Emeritus
    What ever you do, don't waste your money on Jamison brass, they are a totally, 100% unreliable and disreputable company.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

nope, I was gonna try forming cases from 24ga magtech brass to start with and go from there.
    My firearms project blog

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    nope, I was gonna try forming cases from 24ga magtech brass to start with and go from there.
    Good choice.

I have Bertram, NDFS and Kynoch brass with Kynoch being the bees knees.

However I'm keeping them for a rainy day. My go to brass is converted Magtech, great shooting brass even although the case capacity is generous.

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

Generous is an understatement, you could throw a dead cat in there and still get the LOC 85gr load.

Bob

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Generous is an understatement, you could throw a dead cat in there and still get the LOC 85gr load.

Bob
    OK how about cavernous then, mind you I wouldn't recommend dead cats for taking up air space.

Carded wool works for me for taking up the air space, or if I can be bothered I do like the elegance of nitrated blotting paper as a capacity reducer.

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

I've used Kapok, but get my best groups from active filler, but that has a tendency to dome the case head after awhile on the CBC brass. There isn't much support down there. Got my absolute best groups with cannon grade all the way to the boolit, but it is only good for 4 or 5 rounds and it is fouled so bad you can't hardly get a cleaning rod through it.

Bob

Dromia, whats this carded wool you speak of is it like a wad that has been punched from something like a felt hat? I've been getting rather good at case forming the 577/450 will be a good test of how much I've learned though. Thanks for all your help guys!

Also if the bore is really oversized on the MH I plan to just paper patch boolits up to that size using some heavier paper I've collected while cleaning out offices here. What kind of boolit designs do you guys use for your MH's? I've seen some very very round nose versions that almost look like its just half of a round ball stuck on top of the case.
    Last edited by wonderwolf; 08-14-2008 at 02:24 PM.
    My firearms project blog

Moderator Emeritus
    Carded wool is just washed and teased wool that is ready for spinning.

There are a couple of pictures of the carded wool I use in this Snider thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=31451

Its traditional as it was used in the original Snider rounds to keep the powder and boolit separated.

Pukka Bundhooks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast