Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cast Bullets In 8mm Mauser

Boolit Master
    9.3X62AL
    I got both of my G98-40's my Dad brought back from the war! Great shooters both! Either with J-words or cast boolits! I've since added a K98k to the mix as I love shooting these old war horses! My non serial matching G98-40 even took a nice Mulely buck a few years back! Shooting Cast lets me shoot them alot more now a days as Surplus and J word components are so hard to find! I got a box of 500 Rem Corlocks SP's when I first got these along with 250 Privi 198 gr. so when I need serious 8x57's I can load for it. Cast are the Lee 185 gr GC and the NOE 210 gc.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1971 View Post
    That Lee Karabiner is a beast that drops in the 240 grain plus range. I just got the NOE .323 191 grain mold.
    What size does it (NOE) drop at, and how doe it shoot.
    NOE molds seem to drop large.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Right on .323 and advertised weight using range scrap.

Boolit Mold
    It has been years, 45-50, since last loaded any rounds. A couple years ago, I tred to get started again, but kids moving, remodeling houses, etc, got in the way of that. Used to shoot and load a lot. Life got in the way, but I am getting started again.

Here is where I am in the process. I used reload for .221 FireBall, 22-250, and 12 ga. Since I stopped loading, I have also inherited an 8mm Mauser K98 from my grandpa. Most of my data is for powders that are difficult to get around here now. I used to use IMR 4227, 4064 and 3031. I know they are available but not stocked close to me. I was able to purchase a pound of IMR 4895 and some Trail Boss. So now I have those plus almost a full can of 3031.

I still have some jacked bullets for the small calibers. Since I got the Mauser, I have been planning to use cast bullets for it. I actually got very good at casting .45 round balls for my dads slingshot. I even have a Lee 175 gr mold for the mauser, BUT, I have not gotten that far yet. So I ordered a box of 100 cast, prelubed, 175gr to get started. All of the loading data I find is for jacketed bullets.

Where do I start working up a load for cast bullets? I know I cannot push them as hard as the other kind.

Boolit Grand Master

"So I ordered a box of 100 cast, prelubed, 175gr to get started."

Are they GC'd?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    ...I have also inherited an 8mm Mauser K98 from my grandpa...
    Where do I start working up a load for cast bullets? I know I cannot push them as hard as the other kind...
    both 1st an 2nd reloading manuals by Richard Lee have ready redux tables about the .30-06 Spr.,
    (aside a good general formula to obtain reduced loads I used for my casts loaded with Vihtavuori)_
    If you're referring to .30-06 tables above, you wont'be too far from decent results in 8mm.Maus_
    this was my starting point with K98k_
    If interested but you don't have them, no problem to PM them to you_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    both 1st an 2nd reloading manuals by Richard Lee have ready redux tables about the .30-06 Spr.,
    (aside a good general formula to obtain reduced loads I used for my casts loaded with Vihtavuori)_
    If you're referring to .30-06 tables above, you wont' be too far from decent results in 8mm.Maus_
    this was my starting point with K98k_
    If interested but you don't have them, no problem to PM them to you_
    Wilecayote, What Vihtabuori powders are you using for cast boolets?
    I gave away my old Lee book to a new reloader long ago. So I would be interested in the redux you mentinoned.
    Than you, D

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345