RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: What dies to reload 50 Alaskan long (2.3 inch) case?

Boolit Master

What dies to reload 50 Alaskan long (2.3 inch) case?

I'm considering a lever action converted to 50/2.3 -- that is, a straight-walled 50-110 shortened .100 inch (a 50 Alaskan with 2.3 inch case rather than 2.1). Cartridge overall length would be 2.70 inches. What off-the-shelf dies will reload the cartridge acceptably? Would 50 Alaskan dies reload such a case better than 50-110 dies? Or if neither is acceptable, who can make the correct dies?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master
    I have an 1886 Win with a 2.2" chamber 50 cal. I use both 50/70 and 50/110 dies to load it. Both will size the top half of the case but the 50/70 dies will not size the section just ahead of the web. As long as your chamber is not too sloppy at that point you wont have trouble with 50/70 dies and they are way way cheaper. The 50/70 dies will crimp my 2.2" case but the 50/110 dies for the 2.4" case will not.
    Another consideration is to match brass thickness to bullet diameter. What I mean is if you are shooting boolits you will likely run them a couple .000" over nominal groove diameter about .512" or so so the thinner brass reformed from 348 will be trouble free. If you will shoot bullets at groove diameter .510" you will be better served with the thicker Starline brass. At least that has been my experiance.
    Blessings
    BIC/BS