Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paper patched bullet for 22 Savage Hi-Power

Yeah Charlie it seems that keeping the temperature up when casting small bullets (22, 25, etc) is the key. That relatively large mould block and cut off plate seem to suck the heat out of the lead and make good fill out hard to get. Hence flooding the cut off plate and using a higher temp. lead, and higher block temp seem to be the key to success. Brodie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    There is a paper thin enough to patch a .224 boolit that might fit a fired neck without sizing either boolit or neck and that is baking paper (or vellum). Tough stuff. It measures 0.05mm/.002" so a double wrap would increase the diameter to .232 which is fine if not a little small. A thicker paper or three wraps would bring the diameter up to seat firmly in an unsized neck. Seat just deep enough so that the boolit touches the leade without the base protruding into the case.

Another option is to make bullets using spent 22lr cases. I have done this but it is a bit of a mission. I soldered into the heated case then swage them down - the excess solder extruded out a bleed hole in the nose of the die. I never did try them (only made two).

You might even find someone to make you a push through sizer. I would offer but I know it takes me forever to get round to doing things.

I have patched a few boolits for my hornet.

The paper was a thick tracing paper and no sizing was done.

I can't tell you the accuracy but they worked fine into a 'test tube'. These were .224 cast, wrapped with thick paper fired in a .223 grooved bore.

So I would expect a .224 boolit patched with ordinary paper to work unsized.
    This is awesome! Closest I got to this was/is, i used a bath towel cross patch to shoot .430 208gr WC's out of my .45 T/C Hawken. I might end up with a combo gun with a .22 Hi-power chamber. Been searching about it. Todd/3leg

Boolit Master
    Seems a bit wasteful using 25-35 brass so to make 22 HP. But I can offer a Tip for the process (pre-fired 25-35 to 22HP). Consider Annealing the 25-35 before it resizing.

Boolit Master
    When it comes to making 25/35 from 30/30, I was advised to use a Lee 32-40 FL die (currently in stock at Titan) as a body die to more easily gain the long taper. I could imagine that with the expander removed it would be preferable to begin with, then a 25/35 die and so forth for reforming to .22 High Power.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 05-31-2021 at 01:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Legend has it that only girls were dextrous enough to patch .22 bullets in the days when they were loaded in factory ammunition in the late 1800s.

I know I sure ain't.

For a .228-groove Stevens single-shot I lapped out a Lee Bator mould. Aluminum laps quickly.
    That's because the guys were too busy scratching their _____...well, you know.

Boolit Master
    Hey if a guy can learn to put in contact l

Boolit Mold
    S&B brass is very nice brass and loaded ammo is nearly the cost of brass. Buffalo Arms has a selection of 228 bullets, I keep a stock of 55gr on hand for coyoote hunting with my BRNO combo gun in 12ga/5.6x52R(22 HP)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZQlIF8.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	301542

I save my paper patching for stuff like my 9.3x72R that has a reallly odd barrel .364 groove diameter and .346 bore, tall skinny lands

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12