Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: south Dakota property cost

Boolit Buddy

south Dakota property cost

I am thinking about moving to spearfish, SD and was wondering where to look for property below 100,000. Don't want to live in town so has to be rural, Doctor said it would help my lungs out if I move to a dryer climate. The humidity here in Ohio is quite bad down here close to the Ohio river.

Moderator Emeritus

https://www.zillow.com/buy/?utm_sour...SABEgIrOfD_BwE
    Zillow or realtor dot com shows you almost every listing out there. By Don't want to live in town do you mean St Onge or Belle Fouche or just spearfish. You can play around a lot in there.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I don't want to be in any town limits, it has to out in the country.

In Remembrance
    You really need to go there and look around in person for several reasons. Many times in places this rural, you can buy a quarter section cheaper than what you can get ten acres for.
    Another reason is the internet realtors, I have seen folks buy small acreages (a section or less) in ranch country and pay 10 times the going rate in the area, just to resell it several years later for the going rate at a huge loss.

I am from ND (25 years) and have lived one year in Sioux Falls, SD. I live outside Louisville, KY now. In western SD, it will generally seem more rural than in Ohio but that area is unique. It gets some chinook winds so the winters are less cold but be ready for large amounts of winter snow. Rapid city will be your big city experience if you need or want that for stores. You really need to go there and look before you make a decision. Good luck

I live in Spearfish.
    You won't find a house let alone anything outside town for under that. You will find bare land with no structures.

Boolit Master

I live in eastern SD, so my thoughts may not relevant to you.

In my no-stop-light town, $100,000 will buy you multiple homes. In town. If you want outside of town, you have to know people here in order to hear about property for sale. It's not listed. The only listed properties are farms/farmland and they start at about $4,000 an acre and go up from there. A "farm" is usually no less than 160 acres, and up.

However, it gets humid here. Are you sure SD is the right state? If I were searching for dry air, I'd go to Arizona or New Mexico, somewhere like that.

Good luck to you.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Moderator Emeritus

Right on the edge of the Black Hills National Forest so all vacation property that is over priced... I checked landwatch and you can get a mobile home in a mobile home park for that price, and I saw a tiny little one room cabin on Zillow...

Boolit Master
    It looks a lot cheaper over the boarder in Wyoming. Just a thought.

Banned

a bit dryer climate too.
    getting out of town in Wyoming is fairly difficult and 100-K? well,, they make oil field wages there.

bell fourche is kind of like Mayberry living on the edge of town is basically out of town.

Be prepared to enjoy bike week for a couple weeks each year whether you want to or not. Spearfish gets just as packed as Sturgis each year. Unless you have a specific reason to look at Spearfish, I would probably look into other low humidity states. You can still find a decent deal on rural property in certain parts of Wyoming, New Mexico, Arizona, parts of Montana...
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Boolit Master
    Right now in spearfish it is 37 degrees and 75% humidity. If I was going to move somewhere for the weather it would not be western South Dakota. Beautiful place to visit though.

Boolit Grand Master

Move to Arizona if you want dry. I can't stand working here. But if you need a drier climate for medical reasons this would be the place.

Boolit Master
    I've got family in Sundance, WY and have visited several times myself. It's a beautiful place but work opportunities are few and far between. Poverty seems to be the norm. Housing is expensive especially outside of town. Snow but more sun in the winter than Ohio.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Buddy
    after checking out some reality prices in SD I might have to just stay in Ohio. I have family that lives in St. Onge,SD and have visited in july one time and it was refreshing humidity wise compared to Ohio in July. I just don't understand the high price of real estate in state like SD.

Spearfish is a great town. I live in the opposite side of the state, so agree with Catshooter might not be to relivent to our experience. The whole area is just beautiful. There are other places that are close and not so over run with tourists and bikers for tow or three weeks every year. South Dakota is actually two different states. East river and west river. The dividing line is the Missouri river, East river they are more humid and gets more rain. West river is the land of the cowboys and more open spaces. I would look for a place between the hills and the Badlands unless you have to live close to Spearfish.
    Rob

Boolit Master

A shooting friend of mine retired from the Border Patrol and moved "to the end of a 20-mile dirt road" in central AZ. It's possible - and it's a dry heat (higher country where he moved to, not so much - heat, that is).
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hanleyfan View Post
    I just don't understand the high price of real estate in state like SD.
    6 letters, two words; OIL & GAS

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Right now in spearfish it is 37 degrees and 75% humidity. If I was going to move somewhere for the weather it would not be western South Dakota. Beautiful place to visit though.
    Actually Spearfish is pretty mild for winters and low humidity and bugs in summer.
    True, lots of snow but it doesn't stay long. Big snow typically comes in the spring months.
    Low humidity as I am ready to crank up the humidifier in the house.

Not much for jobs and houses and land are overpriced because of retirees from Colorado and California moving here.

Moderator Emeritus

Some great hunting and fishing along the MO River but a lot of that is also indian rez...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast