RepackboxPBcastcoInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: manual for a Lyman 45

Boolit Mold
    What dies fit a model45 lyman? Thks dududad

Boolit Grand Master

The current Lyman and RCBS dies will both fit the 45.

Boolit Master

Any of the Lyman sizer dies fit the 45
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Imashooter, Thanks for that link, I have a 45 well cared for and just got it out of the original box to see if I can figure it out. The link will help !!
    The problem we have in our country today is there are more who vote for a living than work for a living !

A wise man's heart is at his right hand, but a fool's heart at his left. Eccl. 10:2

Boolit Master

Not sure about RCBS dies working in a 45. If they do not have the groove around the top end for the setscrew they won't work. Lyman dies still have that groove, even though the 450 and 4500 uses a hollow nut (7/8") for a die retainer. RCBS lubers have always used the hollow nut (15/16") retainer.

Moderator Emeritus

USPS just delivered a really nice vintage Lyman 45, that I got from fleabay...and low and behold, inside the original box, there was a "ok" condition Lyman/Ideal instruction sheet (AKA: manual). I took some photos and cropped them for optimal size and clarity for posting here to view. I'm playing around with the idea of have some 'decent' photocopies of this made, if there is any interest.
    Jon

Front of sheet

Back of sheet

click on these for full size, large file, to upload to your computer, if you wish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Lead47. I have a # 45 that I boiled out and soaked in mystery oil for a week to get it apart. The only problem I have is that the "lube tube" is frozen solid and I can't move it at all. I am afraid I will crush it or gouge the surface if I grab it with a wrench, even wrapped. Any suggestions? B.

Boolit Bub
    My Manuel only gives schematics not a good explanation for people like me,who want to everything that don't matter. Lol

Boolit Bub
    That's nice I like the old stuff bought a bunch of old lube in individual boxes still good but reluctant to use until have to. What did that thing run ya.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edmrb View Post
    Lead47. I have a # 45 that I boiled out and soaked in mystery oil for a week to get it apart. The only problem I have is that the "lube tube" is frozen solid and I can't move it at all. I am afraid I will crush it or gouge the surface if I grab it with a wrench, even wrapped. Any suggestions? B.
    A rubber strap wrench will usually do the deed.

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Picked up a strap wrench @ H F for $4.00 did the trick lickety split.
    Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    I was going to pull the lube barrel off mine but I guess I'll just wrap some tape around it. Knowing me I'll scratch it all to heck, and right now only the bluing is worn.

Boolit Grand Master

It isn't just scratches. Using channel locks or the like can easily dent the tube and then you're hosed. I really recommend a strap wrench.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Pigslayer: This is an "oldie", but maybe I can help. Modern-Bond made a couple of variants of their own lube-sizer design - a bit beefier (as you note) than the Ideal / Lyman ones - but around the start of WWII they dropped their own designs and started offering the Lyman No. 45 instead. They had faded out of the reloading market by the mid-1950s. Their main business was industrial design and development, and machinery for the bottling industry. They only got into reloading at the urging of the NRA after WWI, when Ideal was shut down. Their bronze tong tools were very handsome, but complicated to operate and VERY heavy; they later made a couple of light bench tools, but their heart wasn't really into it. Floodgate
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Bub

Lordgroom
    Go to the Lyman website, wonder around and you will find a nice clean pdf file for the 45.
    I found the manual by accident when I went wondering around on their website looking for something else.
    I could go back to their website and provide the steps if you want, but it's there.

Boolit Man

Just bought my first #45...... Excited..... From what I can tell all parts are there, and everything seems to need a cleaning
    but complete....
    Backed the lube pressure nut out,... but there seems to be some lube in the bottom of the tube.... should I attempt to remove
    or just go with it..... I will be ordering some lube, and have some dies comming....

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by retiredPO View Post
    Just bought my first #45...... Excited..... From what I can tell all parts are there, and everything seems to need a cleaning
    but complete....
    Backed the lube pressure nut out,... but there seems to be some lube in the bottom of the tube.... should I attempt to remove
    or just go with it..... I will be ordering some lube, and have some dies comming....
    Me, personally, I'd remove the old lube. But it is probably usable if it's not dried out.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold

Old Lube

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Me, personally, I'd remove the old lube. But it is probably usable if it's not dried out.
    I am using lube from the80-90 time and they will work fine usualy warm 45 up to room temp and good to go.

I just bought a #45 on flebay yesterday. I haven't gotten yet obviously. I'm excited to have a lube sizer finally. I've been trying different things like pan lube and powder coating with a Lee sizing die.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12