Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: manual for a Lyman 45

Boolit Bub

manual for a Lyman 45

Anyone have a manual for the Lyman 45. I had it working just fine but when I added a stick of lube I can't get it to work. The last stick of lube was the same as this one. Any help would be appreciated.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Could you please be more specific as to what is going on?The pressure nut is not left in the bottom of the sizer resivoir is it?

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

LMAF that sounds like something i would do leaving the presure nut in and adding a new stick of lube. But I can tell you this if you add melted lube that you got in bulk and decide to puss the other type lube out its a good ideal to wait until the melted lube is cooled. If not you may have wax sprayed all over the place well thats what i hear
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    It may explain any lack of lube if the person asking is new at this passion of ourz!

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by imashooter2; 07-08-2017 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Fixed the URL for new file location.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    lordgroom:

Try operating it with the top cap off the reservoir. Sometimes the pressure piston just turns with the pressure screw when started on a new lube stick, and doesn't move down. Try keeping it from rotating with your finger or a small screwdriver, and turn the screw until the piston locks to the sticky lube and starts to move down without rotating. This is common with the older #45s with the brass "piston ring", and just takes a few seconds to get going.

Floodgate
    Last edited by floodgate; 08-10-2008 at 01:20 PM.
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Bub
    it was late and i was frustrated. looks like i installed the brass ring under the pressure nut and now the brass ring is stuck at the bottom. my problem was the whole stick was forced up around the nut when i tightened in the nut. how can i get the grass ring out?

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    lordgroom:

Go the whole hog, melt or boil out all the lube and while it is still warm, work the nut out (if it is down at the bottom) as described elsewhere here, and then fish out the brass ring with a hooked scriber or a bit of wire. The ring snaps AROUND the nut to serve as a "piston ring". Despite what you may have read, the old system works pretty well with many lube types; replacing it with the current O-ring nut will make it work even better. (Get spares of the o-rings!)

Floodgate
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Bub
    I am boiling it as we speak. The pressure nut is out. The brass ring is stuck

Boolit Bub
    I got the brass ring out but it is mangled. Will have to look at the new O-ring system as you suggest.

Boolit Bub
    lordlyman 45 is dismantled. i put new lube in and the whole housing back out. figure i'll hit with a heat gun and hopefully it will slide. otherwise it is going to take up residence at the scrap yard.

Boolit Mold
    lordgroom, had the same problem with an old 45 brass collar. I contacted Lyman and the o-ring piston set up drops ring into the 45. No problems since. Rick

They make a universal heater for the 45 or 450, and the 4500 can be bought with the heater.
    Mine will not work unless I warm up the lyman sizer luber.

In Remembrance

After the boiled out lube cools it will float on the water. Melt it and pour back in. No use wasting good lube. If you decide to toss it, toss it my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Schafer View Post
    They make a universal heater for the 45 or 450, and the 4500 can be bought with the heater.
    Mine will not work unless I warm up the lyman sizer luber.
    As what was said about the heater . It works very well and less stress of the sizer . You need to see how warm the lube need to be for how long you will have the heater on. But I found the heater make it easyer to work with . I have a 450 . Lyman I think is the one that make the heater.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

stephen perry

Lg

This is the non-engineering approach to your problem. Not recommended for those that prefer written words. First dig out as much lube as you can and set the lube aside. Now run your pressure nut to the bottom over the brass collar. Reach down the lube tube with a shiv, any metal shiv thin with some back bone. Wedge the shiv against the brass collar and spin the crank holding tight on the shiv the pressure nut and brass collar will come up. Don't repeat your mistake.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick The 310 Shop guy View Post
    lordgroom, had the same problem with an old 45 brass collar. I contacted Lyman and the o-ring piston set up drops ring into the 45. No problems since. Rick
    I have aquired an old model #1 Ideal/Lyman Lubersizer. Wondering if the "O" ring piston will work in that. Any info??? The #1 of course is on the right.
    Last edited by Pigslayer; 12-25-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Banned
    Pigslayer. You did not get what you paid for. That is not a Lyman #1, rather it is a scarce Modern Bond. It uses a Lyman looking die but of a slightly different size.
    Can you post more pictures from the sides?

Thanks,
    Ken

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Pigslayer. You did not get what you paid for. That is not a Lyman #1, rather it is a scarce Modern Bond. It uses a Lyman looking die but of a slightly different size.
    Can you post more pictures from the sides?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Yes, here they are. I still like it. You say scarce, what do you mean. I can have dies that I can have altered to make it work. It looks like a good working machine. Please check back with me with any info. It actually looks to be heavier than the Lyman #1 from pictures that I saw. I just thought that Lyman had made changes to it over the years. So what is the vintage of this relic? Circa?? Worth? I just did a search for Modern Bond & they did in fact list a Lyman Luber Sizer. Maybe to their specs??
    Last edited by Pigslayer; 01-21-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Boolit Master

I have a few Lyman 45's. Unscrew the force plunger, take it off, then unscrew the barrel that the lube fits into. It will then lift off and you can remove the lube stick and see if the pressure nut is there.
    I take mine apart once a year just for cleaning.
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast