Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How many here stick with traditional styles?

Boolit Buddy
    Pat, is there any bag limit on them ??? Kinda like shooting ground squirrels I guess, almost as usless after shooting as they were before.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi
    Ok, you guys. For those who have hunted with RB, and pointy bullets, why do you consider the pointy bullets better? I've killed some pretty big stuff with RB's, and seen a lot more killed, including a few truck loads of buffalo. If a bullet is properly placed, the critter dies. I know of a total of zero people around here who hunt with the conicals, and deer, elk, and bear are the common targets. And, of the same number, zero hunt with inlines. And there are a lot of ML hunters in this area. Can you give me a quantative number, on how much tougher, or whatever, the animals are in your areas, that require on deer, more power than was commonly used on buffalo, a hundred years fourty ago?

explain yourselves! ;o)

Personal experience with both projectiles only, same bullet placement. Distance secondary factor. No quotes from magazines allowed.

Waki, don't know if you know anything about TC Hawkens, but it's got kinda shallow rifling. It'll still shoot round balls well, but at max levels, the accuracy kinda wonders on mine. So, I use maxi hunters in that particular rifle about half the time. I wouldlike to acquire a RB barrel(better suited anyway) so I could/would use them more. I have about 5 mayonnaise jars full of balls aching to get launched.

The Henry will definitely be RB. Kilt a couple of deer with each and dead is dead. It does seem the RB deer have wondered a bit further, not enough to worry about tho.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Banned

Now limit back here Bob.

Last time I bagged a few a game warden gave me a warning cause I didn't have an urban crack head stamp with my license through..

You OldBob over at the church?

Boolit Buddy
    Shore nuff', I'm OldBob most anywhere I wander, it helps defeat the CRS disease!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OldBob
    Shore nuff', I'm OldBob most anywhere I wander, it helps defeat the CRS disease!

I kinda live by that varmit Wheelchair Bandit. I sure do get a kick outta readin' your guys trails and tribulations over there. It'd be a smash hit real life TV show sitcom fo sho..

Specially Black Prince and Blackwater... Arch Bishops and Deacons..hee, hee..
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 02-16-2006 at 07:14 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Nothing but sidelocks for me. Renegade, GPR, and New Englander 12 Ga.

Boolit Buddy
    i ownley shoot traditional guns dont like inlines.i shoot mini's in my side locks as where i live in west oz there is to greater risk of bush fires with patch and ball so i leave them for rainge shooting. i will shoot round ball in the winter though but not in the summer.
    bernie

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    I have three traditionals, and wouldn't allow one of the new plastic guns in the house. I have a twenty bore NW tradegun, an Alexander Henry English sporter, a Beckwith style Pennsylvania, and a couple pistols around, one Pedersoli, and one I built.
    Ya mean like one of these plastic guns?:

That's a Stainless & Black Plastic TC Firestorm .50 Flintlock on the rest up there.

I like to have my cake and eat it too, so it's "Modern Traditional" for me. I even use an Aluminium Powder "Horn".

(I also have a .50 inline ML barrel for my Mossberg 500, but I've almost stopped using it entirely...)
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

I don't care if you hunt with a sidelock, why should you care if someone else hunts with an inline? Neither one is superior to the other overall.

Having been a muzzleloader user since 1971, I find myself a little resentful of the "two pellets and a powerbelt" mentality but if they are out there obeying the law and having fun, what gives me the right to deny them that pleasure?

"My partner turned down a hunting show for Cabella's as they wanted him to shoot a White. He said he would rather eat horse dung on live TV." I agree with him, I would much rather see him do that.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, you know what they say......

Boolit Buddy
    Yes. Everybody has one, some are one.

Boolit Grand Master

In the late 60's early 70's I worked with several muzzleloading clubs and the State Game Commission to get a muzzleloading deer season. Part of that work was dedicated to proving that muzzleloaders were NOT a modern weapon. Limited range and killing power, slow reloading and the lack of total reliability were part of the reason we got a special season. Now we are innundated with guns that in their own advertising are stressing NO range limitations, ease and speed of reloading and total reliability. I don't care who hunts with what, but I see just as much connection between a M700 remchester and I do to a WCVA inline. So I belong to a primitive club and I shoot at primitive matches and I try not to think about inlines and life is good. The Game Commission decided real quick after the first season that they would never sell enough permits to a flintlock only crew and they copped out for the money, so be it, I'll just have to suck up and live with it. It was somewhat humerous that our club had 17 members before M/L deer season was adopted. The first year after we jumped to 93 and after inlines were allowed we dropped back to 23 members. Like most folks who call ever Fall, "I'm not interested in anythng but hunting another season".

I am still convinced that percussion caps are a passing fad, and the recurve bow won't catch on. If you have an ugly wife or an inline it is no skin off my nose so long as I don't have to look.

Nuff' Said

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO
    If you have an ugly wife or an inline it is no skin off my nose so long as I don't have to look.

Nuff' Said

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironsights
    Ya mean like one of these plastic guns?:

That's a Stainless & Black Plastic TC Firestorm .50 Flintlock on the rest up there.

I like to have my cake and eat it too, so it's "Modern Traditional" for me. I even use an Aluminium Powder "Horn".

(I also have a .50 inline ML barrel for my Mossberg 500, but I've almost stopped using it entirely...)
    Ironsights, aside from assaulting my asthetic tastes, I do support your choice of weapon, as it carries the spirit. Go for it!

I have yet to see a single inline owner/poster attack someone for choosing an arc-action rifle.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Underclocked
    I have yet to see a single inline owner/poster attack someone for choosing an arc-action rifle.
    That's just cuz they is embarrassed. Kinda like owning a cat. Nothing really wrong with it, you just don't want everyone to know!

Banned

I think arc-action rifle owners have organization and communication issues. Problems with keeping their ducks in a row so-to-speak, and coming out of the closet with their true feelings. Always side stepping the problem instead of taking a clean direct approach. Hence their need to beat around the bush when professing their true emotions... their outright all consuming rage towards inline muzzle loader users, that only manifests itself by suppressing a deep primal instinct and thereby producing polite, or semi polite posts on the subject..

Boolit Master

Ironsights, aside from assaulting my asthetic tastes, I do support your choice of weapon, as it carries the spirit. Go for it!
    What's even more fun is going to PC rondys fully kitted out in "Period Modern".

Totally messes with people's heads. (Is that a Gerber 'hawk???)
    1.618034 Fnord

hope the pic doesn't permanently damage anyone. Just keep clickin'.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Underclocked

hope the pic doesn't permanently damage anyone. Just keep clickin'.
    Actually, that Firestorm is one of the best intro's to muzzleloading I've found.

When I go to the local "Black Rifle" range, most of the AR/AK shooters won't pay a lick of attention to a ML guy... inline or sidelock, and will actively ignore anyone in PC gear.

However, when I break out the Firestorm, I get guys comming up all the time. I tell them it's my "Assault Flintlock"

I'll lop off a light Round ball, then quickly drop a "speedloader" 360gr minnieball on top of 150gr of 3F... My lock is nice and fast, no ssshboom, just POW -stuff- BOOOM!

That generally impresses them enough to drop the Black Rifle Superiority Complex and really start asking questions.

Most don't give up their black rifles, but I've had more than a few tell me they had to buy one like mine.
    1.618034 Fnord

Banned

I have to admit these are some hot looking firearms...
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 07-31-2006 at 10:15 AM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast