RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: How many here stick with traditional styles?

Boolit Master

That's a beauty Fred!
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

While I personally detest inlines, I still like the idea of the separate muzzleloading seasons being open to them. These guys present no impediment to we traditional sidelock hunters. I'm for people spending money on our sport, supporting the economy & ml suppliers. If they don't know they're at a disadvantage, that's okay. Maybe they will eventually come over to the dark side and swell our ranks. I hunt all seasons with a flintlock and never feel at a disadvantage even with modern rifles.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

They can take thier BBQ sparkers, plastic stocks, and artifical powder and shoot during the centerfire season.

Banned

i usually hunt with a 50 hawkens and a 45 underhammer i made from a kit.

Andy

Here in Pa, they have a very generous flintlock-only season that begins after Christmas, and a "general" (doe only) muzzle-loader season in Oct. mainly for inlines, but any muzzle-loader can be used. I use this early season to hunt with my rifle-musket, I see no use in an in-line what so ever.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I believe there is a misconception by some, that the inlines are easier to shoot, so they go with them. From what I know of them, they are more difficult to get a load worked up for, are more difficult to clean, and are generally shot with a more corrosive powder than BP. Flintlocks are simplicity itself, once it's intricacies are learned.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    Ric,

Maybe those that feel the inlines are shoot is because most of them scope them. I bought an inline to specify hunt deer with in Ohio because they have a shotgun/muzzleloader only season. I don't like shotguns.

With that said, yes I had to work to find a load. Now I may shoot an inline, but I refuse to shoot sabots. I still use the original Maxi-Ball in mine.

I'm considering getting a flintlock and will have to mail order for the BP since that's all you can shoot in them. I've always wanted to try a flinter.

Joe

I have 5 smoke poles at this time. 2 of which are TC Pennsylvania Hunters. 1 is percussion, 1 is flint lock. Those two are by far my favorites, they shoot 2" all day with Goex 3FFF BP and .495" ball & .015" patch.
    I also have a 32 caliber flintlock made by Miroku of Japan I got from Dixie GunWorks several years ago that WILL harvest squirrels with a load of 15 grains FFFBP and patched ball.
    IF THE 50 CALIBER CANT GET IT DONE ..............RUN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    SCI MEMBER

Boolit Master

Here's the one that puts meat on the table for me.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/images/silos/5049.jpg
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I definitely prefer inlines because of the ease of scoping. My eyes just aren't worth a crap so far as using irons and I owe it to the animal to place a bullet as best I can. Started some 38 years ago with a T/C Hawken or three but feel absolutely no shame in using a good inline. There is an insane attachment that many seem to make with respect to the other fellow's choice of weapon. Hunt with what you like and can use effectively.

I never knock a guy's choice of a sidelock and really do not understand why some percentage of sidelock shooters feel those who use inlines are lesser beings or cheaters. I suppose it is simply some sort of nonsensical ego thing. I've yet to meet a fellow in all those years using any sort of muzzleloader that would make a good pimple on the [edit] of some of the historical figures many seem want to emulate.
    Last edited by waksupi; 10-13-2009 at 11:20 AM.
    "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." Understand?

I dont realy knock inlines, just dont like them, Inlines have been around alot longer than some may think.
    IF THE 50 CALIBER CANT GET IT DONE ..............RUN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    SCI MEMBER

I shoot only traditional styles, and only "home made". It's just a choice, not an editorial.
    "So how many Divisions does this Pope have?".. Joseph Stalin

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it.
    Pope John Paul II

Boolit Buddy
    If it don't throw some sparks near your face, it just aint no fun. I think a rifle's muzzle should be at least chest high. It makes it harder for me to get stupid and lean over the muzzle when I'm loading it.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm a traditionalist myself. I just got into shooting muzzleloading rifles but have owned and shot a 10ga percussion cap shotgun since about 1974 when it was given to me to use by an uncle. Here in Washington the ignition source must be exposed and 209 primers are not allowed. I am not sure how many inlines that eliminates but I'm sure quite a few.

So far I now have one Lyman GPR flintlock .54 for hunting and the hardware for an Isaac Haines Lancaster flintlock .54 from TOW. Still waiting on the wood for that kit
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I've been hunting with a ml and only black powder since the very early 70's. Never had an inline and never will. I don't care if others use them and I think the "others" have helped get better ml seasons. I've shot several deer, a few elk, but so far, no bear.

Try bird hunting with them, it's a hoot. So far pheasents (many), quail, dove, ducks, geese, turkey, grouse, and huns. I use 20 SXS (dove, quail), 12SXS, 12 O\U (everything) and 10 SXS (geese, ducks, turkey).

I will be elk hunting this year as I got drawn for a meat hunt (cow elk).

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I'm also one of the old timers who believes in the old style guns. I will not resort to name calling because of what others shoot but will say that if you gave me the top of the line in-line I would sell it. Just can't get in the mood of shooting with a wanna be gun. I started with BP in 1971 with a 36 and 44 caliber revolvers and learned why they threw the guns at the other guy when empty. I shoot a 50 Hawken in the swamps of Louisiana.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Quote Originally Posted by Underclocked View Post
    I definitely prefer inlines because of the ease of scoping. My eyes just aren't worth a **** so far as using irons and I owe it to the animal to place a bullet as best I can. Started some 38 years ago with a T/C Hawken or three but feel absolutely no shame in using a good inline. There is an insane attachment that many seem to make with respect to the other fellow's choice of weapon. Hunt with what you like and can use effectively.

I never knock a guy's choice of a sidelock and really do not understand why some percentage of sidelock shooters feel those who use inlines are lesser beings or cheaters. I suppose it is simply some sort of nonsensical ego thing. I've yet to meet a fellow in all those years using any sort of muzzleloader that would make a good pimple on the [edit] of some of the historical figures many seem want to emulate.
    While I dislike inlines I DO think a hunter should use what makes it possible for him/her to get out into the field. For this reason I've come to question muzzleloading seasons which exclude inlines. As much as I love flintlocks there are some who need more modern (not necessarily better) technology. For me, though I can still use iron sights fairly well, I'd take a different tact if I needed a scope. My idea would be a mid 19th century rifle with the period telescopic sight. Improves sighting but is still challenging. Even I carry a cell phone into the woods and not a HC one at that.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789