Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: 1885 Browning Low Wall (new) Quality?

1885 Browning Low Wall (new) Quality?

I just saw a new Browning low wall in .45 Colt and thought it would be nice to finally scratch the itch for a nice single shot version of my beloved cartridge. Then woundered about a 32-20 low wall (I have many iches to scratch) Does anybody have one of these and is it a good rifle? accurate? user friendly? (touchy about OAL and somewhat higher pressure) and last, decent trigger? I'm asking about the 32-20 on some other form if I can find the right one. Thanks

Browning's are legendary for high quality, top-notch metallurgy, accuracy, and overall fit and finish. Their bore and chamber dimensions seem to conform to the most agreed upon standards and one rarely hears a complaint in that department. They are also well known for heavy triggers, but ones that always break clean. There are many 'smiths who specialize in lightening the Browning trigger for minimal expense, so that is really not a deal breaker. I've owned four 1885 Brownings and each has been perfect in every regard. I'm presently having some difficulty with a 38-55 and vertical stringing, but fellers here have me hot on the trail of the culprits.

In my humble opinion, no other rifle is a graceful as the 1885. I went to the Cody museum just to see the original, Number 1, John Browning patent model of the high wall. I was standing in front of the case for an hour looking at that thing. Beautiful!!!!!!!!

I would suggest you strongly consider the rifle in a 'rifle' caliber. You will very quickly be shooting out to three and five hundred yards with the thing.

Can't get a 32-20 from Browning, has anyone had luck with Taylor or cimarrron arms?

Thanks august, it sounds like this is the 1885 brand I want, but no 32-20 caliber

1885 Low Wall

I have two of the Japanese made 1885 Low Walls. I highly
    recommend it with one caveat. They tend to multiply in
    different calibers.

My first one was the same as the one you are considering ,except
    in 44 Magnum chambering. Just a peach of a rifle and every time
    I show up at the range with it someone tries to buy it from me.
    Trust me, a 24 inch barrel with a strong action like the Low Wall
    turns the 44 Magnum and the 45 Colt into a very potent short to medium
    range hunting rifle. 2000 fps with a 240 grain. Anything inside
    of 200 yards is toast. That's as far as I would shoot at game with
    these type of sights, no matter what the cartridge. My other Low
    Wall is a scoped 260 Remington. That's for further out.

Elegant, trim, potent, and accurate. Quality is top drawer.

dxr

Last edited by doctorxring; 08-05-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Boolit Master

Talking

I have two in 357mag. and love them. I am using the RCBS 35-200-FN with AA-9 powder. I have also cast up some Lyman 358315 and just got some RL-10 powder to try with both of them. When I get a chance I will post my results. As of right now I am working with my Browning 1885 in 30-30 with Lyman 311644 and AA5744 powder, next up is my Winchester 1885 in 38-55. I have replaced the factory sights with a ukrainian soule rear and with the same front sight that Browning put on the BPCR so I can switch back and forth without a problem. By the way I have 12 of these witch is why I chose the name Doc Highwall. These rifles are asking for cast boolits. Don't worry about pressures in the Browning 1885 Lowwall's as I have one in .260Rem that is a 60,000 PSI cartridge. As a side note the Browning 1885 Traditional Lowwall's are not drilled and taped for scopes.
    Last edited by Doc Highwall; 08-21-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range. txpete's Avatar
    I got out to the range with mine and 250 gr bullet and 8.5 grs unique.very accuate.the trigger is sweet clean & crisp.
    pete

Boolit Master

Talking

txpete, what caliber is your 1885 and who's boolit are you using? My 357mag has a 1 in 18 3/4" twist and I do not think is will stabilize a boolit much longer then about 1.100". The 44 has a 1 in 20" and the 45 has a 1 in 16" twist. I got my 357mag as a windy day 22lr when I want to shoot at 300yds and it is just too windy for the 22lr.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range. txpete's Avatar
    doc mine is a 45 colt.the bullet is a magma 250 gr lfn sized .452 lee tl.

the 45 colt has a 1-16 twist

pete