Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Did I buy the wrong mold?? Or will it work??

Did I buy the wrong mold?? Or will it work??

I picked up a lee 2 cavity mold 452-255-rf 255gr and was planning on loading some 45acp as it said In The description on amazon but now after I have cast a few of them I can't find any load data for that heavy of a boolit and I use wheel weights so they have cast even a little heavier than the 255gr and are coming in around 262/266 after powder coating and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for using these for 45acp or have I just found a really good reason to buy me a 45LC😁
    Thanks

I'm thinking you need to get the .45 Colt...

I've never tried loading anything over 230 gr in .45acp.. I don't think I've ever seen load data for that weight bullet.

Denny

Boolit Master

Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Grand Master
    IIRC, the older Speer manuals had load data for a 260 grain Jacketed HP. Might take a gander there and look at the starting loads, then try your boolit. If it doesn't work, try the LEE 452-230 TC. That is a sweet shooting boolit that most guns will like. And a 45 Colt is not a bad thing....
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned

back the unique off and work back up.
    4grs is a good place to start.

you did buy a 45 colt mold, but you bought one that gets used in the 45 acp by guys that like knocking bowling pins off tables.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes and yes. What platform are you planning on launching it out of?

Boolit Master

Often use 255 swc for a max damage thumper in 45 acp. Used 5.2-5.6 of unique mostly, anything more and it starts to really sting the palm.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    I have used the Lyman 452424 255 grain SWC in several 1911 type pistols including two Gold Cups and a M1927 Colt.They fed as well as 230 grain hard ball.No damage to the pistols either.

Boolit Grand Master

Great excuse to buy a 45 Colt! Lee has a copy of the H&G 68 200gr if you decide you want a lighter boolit, go ahead and get the 6 cavity mould if available. Big pile of boolits in a hurry! NOE has a nice copy too.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I run them seated long in my 45 S&W with 5.5 Unique but it's a 1917 it's actually a pretty tame load for what it is delivering . I've used the 452-255 RF and 452-252 SWC both dropped heavy at 265 & 262 . I aquired a 454424 single and liked it so much I bought a 5C NOE copy both drop at about 250 .
    I sent the 452-252 down the road as it didn't play nice with the Colts carbine . All of above work well in 45s from GAP to 460 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .